NOS Seamaster from the 80s

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Having had the opportunity to check out the day wheel, I’ve encountered something new (for me). Most day wheels are divided into 14 slots, rotating two of those slots at midnight (or over a period of time thereabouts). This setup allows for a second language to be used in the intermediate slots and is user selectable, usually by the crown.

Omega obviously had to do things differently. The same 14 slots exist, but they are arranged very differently. Imagine it this way; the 7 slots on the left hand side of the date wheel run Mon to Sun (in whatever language). The 7 slots on the right right hand side of the wheel have the same Mon to Sun sequence continuing around that side - in the same language of course.

So instead of taking one week to rotate the date wheel completely, this movement takes two weeks to do that, as it only moves one slot every day. There are no intermediate positions like most watches have. I didn’t observe the day and date change, but I’m guessing that it may allow for ‘instantaneous’ day and date changes, something not possible with the conventional setup. Or maybe not... The downside of this setup is that there is only one language available for the day.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Re: NOS Seamaster from the 80s

Post by monkeymax »

But the upside is you'll only see the yellowed day once every two weeks! ;)

It's an absolutely lovely acquisition Gary! Congratulations!
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: NOS Seamaster from the 80s

Post by tikkathree »

That's a nice one Gary. I "get" vintage Omegas right up to the point of actually wearing a little watch and being happy about it: I have to be in the right mood.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

It’s hard to believe it’s been almost a year since I posted this and it’s only just arrived back from servicing; the times we live in I guess. To be fair though, it did take me some time yo send it to my watchmaker, and parts availability had not been great pre-Christmas for what are probably obvious reasons and that has nothing to do with parts and the age of the watch.

Anyway, it’s back with me now after a straightforward and inexpensive service. Being genuinely NOS no parts were required for the movement servicing, as there was essentially no wear and tear on any of the components. If only they were all this cheap to service...

So a couple of pics from today are included here to remove the need to scroll back to the top of the thread to see just what I’m talking about…

This shot in sunlight probably shows the actual dial colour and texture best…

These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post (total 2):
watchaholicgannet
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier