Seiko Prospex 'Turtle'

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Seiko Prospex 'Turtle'

Post by JamesH »

Hi all,
So the divers I currently have are both what I'd say are dress divers, been thinking for a good while about adding a 'tool' diver. Like the look of the Seiko prospex Turtle, anyone have any experience of them? Wearability ? Hardlex v Sapphire? I know theres plenty of reviews out there but interested in the opinions of the forum :D . Also been looking at the Skx 007/0013 that are discontinued but still out there.
Thanks
James
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Seiko Prospex 'Turtle'

Post by neilj568 »

Can't go wrong with a Turtle and it has a better movement than the SKX. The SKX013 is smaller than the 007 so may be better if you have smaller wrists.

The Turtle is big on paper but doesn't wear too big IMHO.
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Very comfortable watch on bracelet, rubber or nato. Try and avoid cyclops lenses they are stuck on and don't suit the watch in my opinion.
If you are buying face to face look at the alignment of the dial, especially at 12.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Post by JamesH »

Thanks Neil and Chris! I actually meant the Skx 009
Yeah they seem big on paper but pleased the do'nt seem to wear too big.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Can’t go wrong with any version of the SKX or Turtle, in my opinion. The Hardlex crystal seems fit for purpose and, being as I’m careful anyway, they haven’t given me any reason to wish they were Sapphire. Neither model wears too big on my wrist either but I’m a 7.25 inch!

As mentioned above, if you’re able to view first, check out the alignments of bezel, dial & chapter ring. I haven’t had a bad one yet but they’re out there.
Steve.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’m wearing mine today.

They’re great watches. Hacking, hand winding, accurate - mine runs at about +2secs, tough as nails, lots of colours/styles and cheap. An SKX is now going to cost you c. £300, so for another 10% you can get a standard Turtle and there are always deals available.

The dimensions are big but they wear considerably smaller because of the case shape and short lugs. I’d say that for me it wears smaller than my 42mm Trident. It’s fairly heavy on a bracelet and I tend now to wear mine on a tropic rubber or NATO.

Hardlex is fine and it lives up to the ‘hard’ in its name. I’ve never managed to mark a hardlex crystal. However, it is boring as it’s flat with little reflection to it. On mine I’ve replaced it with a double domed sapphire crystal with blue AR coating which has dramatically changed the appearance of the watch. If you’re that way inclined there are no end of things you can upgrade to pimp a Turtle...
Tim
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

If you have the wrist for it, take a look at the King Turtle models. These have a nicer better finished bezel, ceramic insert and sapphire crystal.

Of course, you could achieve a similar look by modding. Pick of the King Seikos for me are these 2 ...

oh ... and you can still get them with the misaligned bezel :wink:
Ryan
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Post by JamesH »

Thanks very much for the help! Appreciated.