Watchfinder Experiences

A place to discuss other watch-brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Watchfinder Experiences

Post by iain »

I know this could go in the off topic section but it’s a combination of an informative post for others who have asked about Watchfinder, and it’s also an incoming thread. Hence I’ve put it in other brands.

Watchfinder are a company I’ve now used twice, both times to part exchange a watch/watches for something else. I know they get some ridicule for their Rolex/Patek/Omega LE Mark ups but if you know the value of what you’re buying and selling then there are fair deals to be done.

In both instances I’ve used them, I was looking at less popular watches you don’t see come up for sale very often. Research on eBay, Chrono 24 etc is vital in knowing the market value for the watch you want to buy. Also it helps to have realistic expectations for what you want to get for your part ex. They are in business after all and not a charity. So asking for a fair deal I find can yield good results. In both cases I’ve paid a fair price for the watch I bought and got prices I would have wanted if I’d have sold privately, but without the hassle.

Now those who have been reading the forum recently might have seen a recent SOTC thread I posted. I’ve also stated that I wasn’t going to buy anything else but save for my upcoming 50th in a few years and buy something special. Well those who have been round watch forums for some time know things rarely go to plan and I’m no exception.

Having been recording my wearing using the on my wrist app, I noted I was ignoring some watches. Also when I made an effort to wear them more, I tended to take them off and swap them for my favoured pieces, surely a sign it was time to let go. Also some recent impulse purchases weren’t gelling so I decided to have a reduction in my collection and trade a few watches for one quality watch.

Anyway I digress, back to Watchfinder....

Over the Easter weekend I decided what I was going to do. My little worn Tag Aquaracer and my recently bought Bremont Airco were going, along with my Super compressor.

An email to WF on Easter Monday prompted a friendly discussion on the Tuesday when they opened up. The original ask from WF was to know what I wanted to buy, what I wanted to sell, and how much did I want for my watches. I knew what I wanted to do and told them I would give them the Tag, the Bremont, and some cash for my chosen watch. That way they could play it how they wanted. Give a discount on their sale, or give me a higher trade in value. After some back and forth we agreed and things started to move. I paid the refundable deposit to secure my new watch, which would be returned if I wasn’t happy with their final offers and they would send me my watches back.

On Wednesday WF sent out the packaging for me to send them my watches. This arrived before midday on Thursday, I packed the watches, booked an online collection and they were picked up 2 hours later, arriving at WF before 10 am on Friday. All paid for with no cost to me.

They said it would take 3-5 days to assess the watches and confirm their offer, but on Monday they confirmed the Tag and on Tuesday the Bremont. I accepted both and they shipped the watch the same day, arriving before midday on Wednesday. An excellent service all round and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them a third time in future. I just wouldn’t pay any inflated Rolex prices though, I’m not that daft.

Anyway, long story short.... NEW ARRIVAL!!!

2BD68A5F-BC17-4C15-AC94-4D0097A5661E.jpeg
56CB3751-09F5-4752-AC8B-CBCF65E1EF53.jpeg
52526593-B045-4B9A-BA26-6AFC871ECDD3.jpeg
C3E8822C-C7F2-4EAE-BD14-2089CD6B7F0F.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Watchfinder Experiences

Post by downer »

Excellent trade IMO. We've discussed the AquaTimer before, so you will know I'm a fan.

As for WF, they are what they are, and they do what they do pretty well, I reckon.
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Always good to hear about a personal interaction with a company.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Its always good to read a 1st hand experience of a transaction such as this, Iain. Thank you.

I have, perhaps like others, have been sceptical of using Watchfinder for no specific reason other than a perception of them being larcenous bandits.

They do though need to run a business and make a profit and, more importantly, the way they do it which, as you describe, sounds pretty smooth, slick and pain free, gives me confidence to look at them in a fresh light. I might one day get around to using them.

As to the AquaTimer? Arguably on the left-field side of watches and none the worse for that. Enjoy it.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Thats all worked out well :clap:
I have used Watchfinder loads over the years and I have been generally impressed. I have bought sold and part exchanged and they have always played with a straight bat. Whenever they have given me a valuation range upon inspection I have received the top estimate everytime. A rolex AD plays games more than wf.

Almost forgot to say.... great watch!
Cheers now, Paul
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Interesting input for future reference, maybe. Many thanks!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:39 pm Interesting input for future reference, maybe. Many thanks!
+1..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thanks for the comments about the watch, as Guy points out it is a left field choice for a diver and is up against very stiff competition. It is firmly in the Omega seamaster and Breitling super ocean bracket.
This is why I like it, it’s a different take on the usual generic diver.

Glad my observations on Watchfinder have also been helpful.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s not something I had looked closely at before, but I spent half an hour perusing it last night. They had some very good stuff there.

Not that I’m interested in buying anything. Not at all. No chance. Not now, not ever. :lol:

And the IWC does make a refreshing change from the usual suspects.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

AquaTimer on the rubber strap is a great combination. Something a bit different. Congratulations. :thumbup:

The recent change of picking the watch up from home is a great improvement. Certainly makes selling high end stuff far easier and less risky than a private sale (unless of course the private sale is to someone you know).

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

nbg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:39 am The recent change of picking the watch up from home is a great improvement. Certainly makes selling high end stuff far easier and less risky than a private sale (unless of course the private sale is to someone you know).
The first time I used them around 18 months ago, I had to send my watch myself and cover the insurance. Now they use a fully paid for fully insured service with DHL. The packing they send contains everything you need down to foam corner protectors for the box. Certainly an impressive process they have now and like you say, takes all the worry and stress out of your sale.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Very nice Iain, rarely seen watches but looks great.
I'm afraid I immediately think Rolex inflated prices when I hear the name Watchfinder.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Good write up and interesting (but very nice) acquisition. Always good to hear others experience.
I have interacted with WF 3-4 times now, once resulting in a purchase with PX from me, maybe cost me c£200-£250 over a private sale/purchase of the new watch but instant, no PayPal/eBay fees, no risk from a private purchase etc. I was happy with the deal.
The other time I received a fair(ish) price for my watch which whilst lower than a Chrono24 or ebay sale, was quick, wasnt outrageously different and I recovered my initial outlay.
2 other times I had laughable offers and divested elsewhere.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

First congratulations Iain on the IWC! Such an iconic brand and fantastic watches. Great read and enjoyed your post
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

The last time I bought from Watchfinder was several years ago and it was a highly successful and acceptable experience so it's good to read a positive recent experience. I continue to peruse their web-site to see what they have and in general do find their prices for Rolex, Omega and the like towards the expensive price range but the security of what they provide has to be considered.

Congratulations on your PX and new watch.