Watchfinder Experiences

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Watchfinder Experiences

Post by JAFO »

They (WF) maybe need to service it, and refinish it to some extent. They will need to offer a warranty. They also have to pay vat out of the margin, which is about £200, so it's not all straight profit for a dealer.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:07 pm They (WF) maybe need to service it, and refinish it to some extent. They will need to offer a warranty. They also have to pay vat out of the margin, which is about £200, so it's not all straight profit for a dealer.
That's a fair point, my watch was in excellent condition with some light desk diving marks to the clasp but most likely a 5 min job to polish up.
The servicing in my case was an issue - the watch came with a 5 year guarantee, but needed attention every 2 years to check water resistance and maintain the guarantee...which I didn't bother with. :lol:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

what-time-is-it wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:04 pm The biggest factor with WF is what you initially paid - pay full price for most Breitling, Bremont, Omegas etc and you are going to take a big hit. I bought new from a UK AD with a healthy discount, but sold at breakeven and that was fine for me, giving over 2 years use for free.
I find this is the secret when buying and selling to Watchfinder. Of the three watches I’ve passed on to them, two had been bought at great prices and I got my money back. The third was about eight years old so any loss was similar to what I would have had with a private sale but without the risk.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^it's really the secret to buying and selling watches period....try and buy at good prices if you can. Any financial hit if you do sell is then going to be minimal/minimised. It's worked not too badly for me to date.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Resurrecting this post from 2021 as I've just completed a px deal with watchfinder. The second time I've px'd and the third time I've sold watches to them.
Pleased to say the transaction was very smooth using their DHL collection and delivery service. As previously posted here, both watches I traded (Bremont and Tudor) were bought at a reasonable discount new, and were in good condition. The offers I received were both good and they honoured the higher estimates that they had given. The watch they sent me (as you might hope being only 4 months old) was pristine and looks unworn and came with all the correct warranty and info cards. I'm very pleased with how the whole transaction turned out.
What did I buy ? An omega constellation. So far I'm loving it and wondering (as I long have) why its so unloved in the UK. I'll maybe do a write- up on my thoughts in future if there are any other constellation gazers on the forum....
These users thanked the author 5oclockhero for the post:
0uatiOW
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

5oclockhero wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:35 pm I'm very pleased with how the whole transaction turned out.
Good to hear it. I’m considering using them because they have something I like, and it may be easier to negotiate a PX if the price is right. They certainly have a role to play.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I started this thread and have had a few good trades with them over the years since the aquatimer.

However I’ve recently enquired about a watch and was made a quite ridiculous offer for my part exchange. I then replied to say what I thought its actual trade value was and highlighted another watch on their site to show what they would sell it for and just how much mark up they stood to make. To my surprise they didn’t do as they have previously and increase their offer, instead I had a response that simply said we could not reach a deal and to contact them in future if there was anything else they could help me with. Not exactly the reply I was expecting but it’s saved me a few pounds.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Another more recent thread seems to echo your recent experience, and I did wonder if the watch trading landscape had altered since my last encounter with them. I can only assume they are maybe becoming more sensitive to the watches being bought and sold. It may have been that the watch I was interested in certainly isn't hot property in some markets, and I had two relatively saleable watches to exchange, although neither model I would say were hard to source items.

other-brands/watchfinder-not-interested ... 58429.html
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

There is a knock on impact of dealers making low buy in/px offers…

It also adversely impacts on the amount that person would achieve in a private sale.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

iain wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:26 pm I started this thread and have had a few good trades with them over the years since the aquatimer.

However I’ve recently enquired about a watch and was made a quite ridiculous offer for my part exchange. I then replied to say what I thought its actual trade value was and highlighted another watch on their site to show what they would sell it for and just how much mark up they stood to make. To my surprise they didn’t do as they have previously and increase their offer, instead I had a response that simply said we could not reach a deal and to contact them in future if there was anything else they could help me with. Not exactly the reply I was expecting but it’s saved me a few pounds.
A few weeks ago I enquired whether they would be interested in a fully stickered Hulk and they replied within an hour to say they had sufficient stock of this model, so no offer. The following day I was chatting to the Manager of a Rolex AD about something else and he mentioned he had enquired about selling a JLC and received the same response, so I suspect they are reducing stock at present and buying very little.

At the time I think they had 1 other stickered Hulk and they didn't have the JLC in question listed on their website.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ I think with unworn Rolex watches they are seeing who blinks first. :)

Somehow I don’t think it will be WF…

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I have contacted Watchfinder twice. The first was to make an offer on an Omega Railmaster and on the second occasion was to test their interest in an Azure Bel Canto, boxed and unworn. Both times they were not interested.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’