Citizen Caliber 0200 (mechanical)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Citizen Caliber 0200 (mechanical)

Post by strapline »

I came across this on YouTube and watched all 26 minutes of it quite enthralled. This movement will be the first new movement from Citizen in eleven years. Frankly it looks superb and will perform at better tolerances than COSC. They will be offering this movement in a new watch called quite simply 'The Citizen'. The watch is shown at the end of the video, I think it looks amazing; it's an AP/GS hybrid. I can't imagine what the price point will be, but I want to start putting some money away for its autumn 2021 release.

Incidentally, anyone with an interest in movements will find this interesting. I found myself really warming to the brand ethos. I love those strong Japanese cornerstones of harmony, simplicity and refined aesthetics.

Des

Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inserted Youtube link correctly
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Citizen Caliber 0200 (mechanical)

Post by stefs »

Equally interesting and impressive. The end product is good looking as well.
Cheers now, Paul
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Very interesting. It said $6000 at the end of the hodinkee article, which doesn't seem to be outrageous.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and found it fascinating. It’s right up my street but a little too expensive to ever find it’s way into my collection.
Steve.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

They will go head to head with Grand Seiko so pricing will be competitive I'll wager. $6k sounds about right.

Meanwhile Citizen are doing interesting stuff in quartz too:

Calibre 0100: ±1 second/year!
0100.jpg
Ecodrive One: 1mm thick movement (including solar panel), 3mm total.
Eco-Drive One.jpg
Impressive engineering company in their own right, even in the shadow of Seiko
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting stuff. That’s quite an original dial on the black version, though one wonders why the blue and white dials are JDM only.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Movement looks great and it's an interesting black dial but the case is nothing special to my eyes. As a 'quartz only' brand the only thing I knew Citizen for was not needing batteries thanks to eco drive, didn't realise they were so accuracy obsessed or capable.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm one wonders why the blue and white dials are JDM only.
Sadly the Japanese like keeping the best things to themselves - there have been headphones, mini computers and mobile phones I've previously been unable to justify importing.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 pm Movement looks great and it's an interesting black dial but the case is nothing special to my eyes. As a 'quartz only' brand the only thing I knew Citizen for was not needing batteries thanks to eco drive, didn't realise they were so accuracy obsessed or capable.
Anyone please feel to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the mechanical movement arm of the Citizen brand (Miyota) might produce the most mechanical movements in the world. Like Seiko, Citizen produce all components of their watches in house. The 9000 series movements that Miyota produce have been widely lauded as well as being used by smaller watch manufacturers around the world. With the Swatch group's control of ETA movements to third party brands the 9000 series in particular has become a popular alternative, comparing very favourably.

Watching that video from the start will explain Citizen's contributions to the world of watchmaking. They really are a significant player.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I've been looking at the HAQ Citizen "The Citizen" watches sold in the Japanese market recently. I'm intrigued by +/- 5 seconds a year...
Not sure I want to spend the $3,000 on one though. Citizen are not on the hype train which is a shame as they make great watches. I can see two of them on my desk at the moment.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm Interesting stuff. That’s quite an original dial on the black version, though one wonders why the blue and white dials are JDM only.
Talking of dials....
I went for one of these at a fraction of the price https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/va ... rm=valimor - Black Knight version.
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

StrapMeister wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm Interesting stuff. That’s quite an original dial on the black version, though one wonders why the blue and white dials are JDM only.
Talking of dials....
I went for one of these at a fraction of the price https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/va ... rm=valimor - Black Knight version.
These look quite interesting! :thumbup:
Neil
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

strapline wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 am Watching that video from the start will explain Citizen's contributions to the world of watchmaking. They really are a significant player.
I did, and was pleasantly surprised while disappointed in my lack of knowledge :oops: At least I know now!
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^ :thumbup: :thumbup:
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Well that’s me educated a little more....I had no knowledge of Citizen other than the maker of cheap quartz watches sold at Argos :oops:
Everyday’s a school day :thumbup: