Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: What is this movement like?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Some interim photos of a brushed finish bracelet on my EB Broadstone.

Guy

PS> I can't tell from the CAD images and its not been mentioned, as far as I can recall, but is the Holton Royal Marines brushed or vapour blasted finish?

In case it's the vapour blasted finish, a couple of pics of my Holton Professional P&C 354 LE

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 pm @jimbo - why are you procrastinating over the movement (which is decent and solid)?

That Holton is downright, absolutely stunning.

Remember the Holton was designed in conjunction with the SBS and was the first watch in 10 years to receive MOD accreditation (NATO Stock Number) and become an 'issue' watch.

The design details are emotive and discreet. As the gents at Elliot Brown say 'if you know, you know'.

I only have one problem with it, which is that I have absolutely no legitimate connection to any serving or ex Royal Marine that would qualify or allow me to buy one.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Hello again Guy,

It is a lovely watch.....but i have already splashed out on a Bremont special edition "Arrow" for bootnecks.....can I really afford to spend more? (Yes if SHE does not find out!)

I also really prefer the romance of automatic watches....hence my unhealthy interest in the New Bronze C60.... again another to try and smuggle past the wife

I am sure your "related" to a bootneck somewhere :)

I am very very tempted to buy, as I know my "Monster" we talked about is on borrowed time, and I want a decent hard wearing knock about watch to fill it's shoes.... I have a couple of weeks to agonise (which is the best part of our hobby )

cheers Jimbo
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

mvlow wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:31 am I've got my name on the list for one Jimbo. Just got the email today with pricing confirmation. I'd considered the CW Lympstone when it first came out, but while a nice looking watch it didn't speak to me as something memorializing my time as a Royal. This Elliot Brown on the other hand has some nice touches and is limited to current and former Bootnecks, which makes it a little more special IMHO. I'm not sure what to have engraved on the back yet, maybe just my number.

Guy, I'm trying to decide between the rubber strap and the bracelet. As a happy owner of Elliot Brown watches, how good are their bracelets?
Malcolm,

I would go for the bracelet, and get the rubber strap if I am to "Squeeze the trigger" ( only pongo's and matelots pull it....that's why they always miss!) :) I would also get my service number on back.... no use to anyone else then as well bud
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:40 am Some interim photos of a brushed finish bracelet on my EB Broadstone.

Guy

PS> I can't tell from the CAD images and its not been mentioned, as far as I can recall, but is the Holton Royal Marines brushed or vapour blasted finish?

In case it's the vapour blasted finish, a couple of pics of my Holton Professional P&C 354 LE

Thanks Guy. It's good to get a real world perspective on the bracelet. According to the Elliot Brown description the finish is Bead Blasted.

Case:

316L beadblasted stainless steel with hardened steel black bezel insert. Every watch is individually tested to 200m at air and water at several points during production.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

jimbo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:03 am
Malcolm,

I would go for the bracelet, and get the rubber strap if I am to "Squeeze the trigger" ( only pongo's and matelots pull it....that's why they always miss!) :) I would also get my service number on back.... no use to anyone else then as well bud
That's kind of the way I was leaning, towards the bracelet. If I order the watch I would probably just have my service number and nothing else on the back. When do you get your RM Bremont? I'm looking forward to seeing how they look.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I have the Holton on rubber. I have to say I find the supplied R06 rubber strap a little short even with my 7.25" wrists such that I use the 3rd from last hole (out of eight). That means it's usable, but only just- there's no space for the second keeper and if I needed a hole longer I'd have trouble tucking into the first keeper. Having said that, it's really comfortable.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Bahnstormer_vRS

mvlow wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:35 pm . . . . .. According to the Elliot Brown description the finish is Bead Blasted.

Case:

316L beadblasted stainless steel with hardened steel black bezel insert. Every watch is individually tested to 200m at air and water at several points during production.
Thanks Malcolm. That will equate to the 'vapour blasted' finish on my Holton P&C Project 354 of which here are a few more photos;-

I hope this helps.

Guy

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:46 pm
Thanks Malcolm. That will equate to the 'vapour blasted' finish on my Holton P&C Project 354 of which here are a few more photos;-

I hope this helps.

Guy
That bracelet looks really nice. It looks very heavy duty. Now I've got to decide if I want to purchase it now and wait until the end of the year to receive it. It would make a nice Christmas present to myself :D
Malcolm

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Malcolm,

[/quote]

That's kind of the way I was leaning, towards the bracelet. If I order the watch I would probably just have my service number and nothing else on the back. When do you get your RM Bremont? I'm looking forward to seeing how they look.
[/quote]

Here's my "Arrow" on both strap and bracelet

PC060556.JPG
PC250563.JPG
PC050554.JPG
PC050550.JPG
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

jimbo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:59 pm
mvlow wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm
jimbo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:03 am
Malcolm,

Here's my "Arrow"
That looks great. I didn't realize they had delivered them already.
Malcolm

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

I received it in December. A lovely watch, I like it on both strap and bracelet. But fiddly to change about as they are engineered very tightly I had a dealer in Southampton switch from strap to metal so i didn't damage it.

Just had a FB message from Simon Jesse who is organising the EB and he said they are going to show a photo soon of the "Zulu alpha" strap with sandblasted metalwork, and the keeper to be a dagger.... That alone might swing it.....

Is delivery to be near Xmas?....if so I can tell her what she bought me!! :)
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

jimbo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:12 pm I received it in December. A lovely watch, I like it on both strap and bracelet. But fiddly to change about as they are engineered very tightly I had a dealer in Southampton switch from strap to metal so i didn't damage it.

Just had a FB message from Simon Jesse who is organising the EB and he said they are going to show a photo soon of the "Zulu alpha" strap with sandblasted metalwork, and the keeper to be a dagger.... That alone might swing it.....

Their link says approx 180 days after the pre-orders close on May 14th, so they should be ready around November. I think you have to pay the full price when you pre-order.
Malcolm

Bahnstormer_vRS

mvlow wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:24 pm I think you have to pay the full price when you pre-order.
As was the case when I bought my Elliot Brown X Contact Coffee Holton at the end of last year.

Guy

oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

mvlow wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:24 pm
jimbo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:12 pm I received it in December. A lovely watch, I like it on both strap and bracelet. But fiddly to change about as they are engineered very tightly I had a dealer in Southampton switch from strap to metal so i didn't damage it.

Their link says approx 180 days after the pre-orders close on May 14th, so they should be ready around November. I think you have to pay the full price when you pre-order.

Sounds like the routine they did with the SM ones. Got a email off EB every few weeks keeping us informed how the project was going. Strap wise it came on the rubber but had a Zulu NATO with it we also had the offer of a bracelet at a good price - regret not taking the offer now. I’m sure the wait will be worth it. Wear it with pride Royal once it arrives.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
rambothejambo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rambothejambo »

Guys, ordered & paid for on the bracelet (with the requisite service no. etc engraving). Looking forward to receiving in the summer, also ordered the additional strap which supposedly has the old commando dagger on the buckle ( or something like that), roll on July.