Brands to consider on a £1500 budget

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Brands to consider on a £1500 budget

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:17 am I second AVOs Nomos suggestion assuming you don't need to worry too much about WR.
They do have waterproof models, but they're generally more than the (healthy) budget available.

You should be able to find a Nomos with the sapphire caseback which would perhaps make it that little bit more special.
They have some lovely looking in-house movements, without eye-watering service costs.
I should mention that I have one and am therefore slightly biased :D
I had one for a few years...I should never have sold it really. It's one of my few watch regrets.

This was the original Tangente - 35.5 mm diameter and about 6.5 mm height. Because of the dial size and long lugs it didn't wear small. And as Ryan says, the movement is a thing of beauty. Should come in within your budget, just about.

nomos linen.jpg
nomos silves.jpg
tangente 14 10 12a.jpg
tangente mvt.JPG
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I too would recommend having a good look for used pieces, as "dress" watches almost all take a big hit the moment they walk out of the AD - much better VFM proposition.

Check out Chrono24: the vast majority of sellers are reputable dealers and your money is held in trust until you are happy with your purchase. Likewise, I have no affiliation other than having bought and sold satisfactorily on the platform .
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I don't mean to encourage suggestions over budget, but the white (SBGX259) and champagne (SBGX263) dial 9F Grand Seiko models are available for £1600 new from Watches of Mayfair.

Their Nomos prices are extremely keen as well (£1200ish for sapphire back Tangente/Orion models). I haven't used these before though, so you'd need to do some due diligence if interested.
Ryan
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Thanks all for the suggestions - I’m quite blown away by the volume and thoughtfulness of the replies.

I must admit that I’d dismissed Tudor given my budget, so it’s very interesting to learn that they do offer slightly more affordable options.

Perhaps I should also have mentioned that I’m cursed with very slim wrists, so anything above 40mm tends to wear too large for me. I love the current CW Worldglow and Worldtimer, but I’ve dismissed both on the basis they’re too large. The Moonglow is on the shortlist at 40.5mm though.
EcosseOz
Senior
Senior

Post by EcosseOz »

CW257 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:57 pm Hi all

I’m looking to treat myself towards the end of the year with what would be my most expensive purchase to date - around the £1500 mark.

Are there any others I’m missing, in your opinion?
Have a look at Mido https://www.midowatches.com/uk/watches/ ... tches.html
The CW Collection: Now well used C6IPSI (#2)
C4IP4 (#1331)
C6 Forum LE (#64) -Sold to Tikkathree
C6SWS (#761)
Non-CW: A Breitling, 3x Omega, 1xMido, that now (13y) more ancient Raymond Weil and a Dead Seiko I can't part with (32yrs+)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

CW257 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm Perhaps I should also have mentioned that I’m cursed with very slim wrists, so anything above 40mm tends to wear too large for me. I love the current CW Worldglow and Worldtimer, but I’ve dismissed both on the basis they’re too large. The Moonglow is on the shortlist at 40.5mm though.
For what it’s worth, the moonglow sits perfectly on my also very slim 6” wrist.

I have Tissots and a Hamilton, and just bought my brother in law an Oris. In terms of quality, I’d put the moonglow even with my Hamilton (a higher end Hamilton at that) and Oris. Leaps and bounds ahead of my Tissots.

Might be worth looking into Rado and Baume et Mercier at that price point too.

Tudor is an interesting proposition though. Good luck in your search!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

I'm currently looking at the Tutima Saxon One M range of watches. 40mm case and a decorated Sellita movement. They start just under £1400 but discounts via voucher codes from Jura of 10% or more are about.

As an aside, I was able to negotiate over £400 off a new Tudor Black Bay 41 last year from an AD which almost brings it under your budget.

enjoy the search!
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Have a look at another Swatch brand that has recently received a lot of TLC and investment:

https://www.midowatches.com/en/

Edit - just seen Mido mentioned above already.

Or Aerowatch. Lots to look at here. The 1942 range is nice.

https://www.aerowatch.com/en/
'Tis me
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Another vote for the Junghans Max Bill & Meister series...and for me, a Longines 'Sector' w/b hard to pass up..good luck hunting!!.. 8)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Some great suggestions here, thanks guys.

Mido is a brand I'd only heard of in passing, but I'm just perusing their website and they have some stunning options. I'm not looking to pull the trigger until much later in the year though, so I'm still holding out hope for a CW that blows me away.
Panama

Post by Panama »

I am a fan of Eterna. They have a good history.