IWC Petite Big Pilot

A place to discuss other watch-brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

IWC Petite Big Pilot

Post by iain »

IWC have released a small big pilot. Specs are 43mm diameter with an in house movement and display case back.

I’m not sure what to make of it if I’m honest, it looks like the love child of a Mark series and a big pilot. When I heard rumours of a reduced size BP I was quite looking forward to it, but somehow I’m not sure this works.

Here’s some photos that have appeared on the IWC fan pages on Facebook this morning.
5BAAB88D-4072-4E89-A21A-652991915836.jpeg
2799338B-5AC0-4534-993E-026C8ABBDDB8.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: IWC Petite Big Pilot

Post by stefs »

Looks very similar to the 40mm version to me. (But with an inhouse movement)
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

iain wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:36 am IWC have released a small big pilot.
Perhaps a new candidate for the world's cheapest most expensive watch?

Or the unambiguous oxymoron of the week?

43 mm. Comparatively, I guess...but in real terms it ain't small. :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

The blue one looks nice, crown is huge though I guess that's because vintage pilot's gloves were thick? They shouldn't be changing the time mid-flight anyway :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Is it me? Is it some funky new kind of deployant? Or is the strap on the "other" way round? :problem:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

suicidal_orange wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am The blue one looks nice, crown is huge though I guess that's because vintage pilot's gloves were thick? They shouldn't be changing the time mid-flight anyway :lol:
The big crown is the same as the one on the Big Pilot, I assume slightly reduced in size so it doesn’t look out of proportion.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 am Is it me? Is it some funky new kind of deployant? Or is the strap on the "other" way round? :problem:
That’s the standard IWC deployant. Due to how they close, most IWC watches have it the other way round than what you may be used to.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Templeton

Post by Templeton »

I see the strap is calfskin; IWC have used crocodile/alligator skin in the past (and still on some current models), which can complicate importing/exporting more difficult because of CITES paperwork and charges.
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

I actually thought it was the best watch of all the releases today at WAW

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Apparently the bracelet is a fantastic piece of engineering.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

magicman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:22 pm Apparently the bracelet is a fantastic piece of engineering.

Regards Steve
I have a similar bracelet on my IWC mark xviii. I think the only differences are that this one tapers and has a quick release system, other than that they look identical.

These really are excellent bracelets and by far the best I’ve seen on any watch. The micro adjust works without having to take the watch off, you just press the IWC logo on the clasp to activate the mechanism. Also the way you remove links is an example of good design that just works.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

43mm is "petite"? My 6.25" wrist says otherwise.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Noush wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:25 am 43mm is "petite"? My 6.25" wrist says otherwise.
It’s petite when compared to the “normal” big pilot which is 46mm. They released a heritage model a few years back at 55mm as well.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

43mm suits me just fine and is probably more wearable on a day to day basis than the proper Big Pilot.

I had custody of a Mk XVIII for a week or so a few years back, and felt that to be smaller than my preference.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I did try an actual Big Pilot on when I bought my 40mm Mark xviii. It’s certainly got the right name.....
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'd describe it as a moyenne pilot, it may not be grande but it sure ain't petite either at 43mm.

It does look very like the Mark XVIII that I've tried on before but without the date.

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 am Is it me? Is it some funky new kind of deployant? Or is the strap on the "other" way round? :problem:
A few other brands do this too, ones I'm aware of from personal experience - Seiko (had this arrangement on my Presage), Grand Seiko, Tudor (was on both my Ranger and GMT OEM strap/deployant combos)....I found it a bit annoying and prefer the conventional alternative.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way