Vintage Russian Watch Collection Complete!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Vintage Russian Watch Collection Complete!

Post by artphotodude »

While there's still a current Vostok-Mod in the works, my classic Russian/Soviet collection is now complete. Barring certain Grail watches (particular version of Bulova Accutron, and a nice Elgin or Illinois Railroad pocket watch), my serious watch collecting days are fulfilled.

One of these I've owned as a "1-Watch Collection" since 1995 (selling all my other watches): a Poljot Sturmanskie 3133 chronograph, that I pulled out of the drawer in 2019, because I was carrying the US Mail, and actually needed a way to time delivery "loops" on my walking route, to adapt to keeping an adequate pace. Had always babied it to avoid damage, but lucked-out finding a cool, protective leather WWII bomber-band that let me wear it every day without getting it wrecked. After several encounters with sprinklers and such that band has now been replaced, but the watch didn't take any damage.

A year ago, I realized I liked using it a lot, and even though it was consistently only -4 Seconds/Day off, also realized it needed an overhaul bad. So mailed it to Total Watch, who did the job, but they couldn't reassemble it correctly (date wheel was malfunctioning), and I then made friends with a fantastic watch maker, via Ebay, in Saint Petersburg, who was able to get it up and running like new for only about $60. ( HIGHLY Recommended - https://www.ebay.com/itm/WATCH-REPAIR-a ... 3554188689 - He worked 7 years for Raketa in the old S.U.).

After realizing that it was not only fixed, but actually made it back just fine, I started taking a look at other cool old Soviet watches and one-by-one had all but the LED model mailed directly to the watch maker to be overhaul and he would then send them to me.

- So now we have representing the Proletariat :cheers: A Raketa 24 Hr. submarine watch, a Poljot "Signal" alarm and my old faithful "Sturmanskie" chrono.

- Representing the Bourgeoisie :cylinder: , we have a Raketa "Copernicus" and the final piece - an "Elektronika 1" LED watch.

1.jpg

Just before initially sending the chrono in for service, also had it relumed. The gentleman who did it did a fabulous job of matching both the original daylight and glowing colors (my phone can't match the color or do it justice! Can now read it all night).

3b.jpg

Also, you can see the Elektronika 1 doing its "Cylon" thing.

2.jpg

Also, to keep this 'hobby' from getting out of hand, found a lovely box to keep them in for only $24 on Ebay, and had a sticker made of the amazing Andrew Bawidamann pinup "Cosmonaut Girl" for the top.

4.jpg
6.jpg

So the only thing left is I'm setting up an info panel for the lid that will list data about each's history, movement and have space to chronical service dates: will follow-up when that's finished. I had a fair number of watches since I was a kid, with a number of pretty snazzy models (even an Omega Seamaster and also a vintage Gubelin moonphase - before both of these got so expensive) and to be honest for the money, these Russian watches totally scratch that itch. They are tough, easy/cheap to repair and are REALLY ACCURATE / RELIABLE. I'm never more than 7-Seconds a day off and if I wind consistently, usually much less. Best of all, including purchase prices, servicing, replacement straps and even the box, am out about $1,200 in total! There's a lot going on here. While not everything from the Eastern Block was great (not a fan of the cameras), there are a few things that really are worth your 'time' like their art materials, chocolate and of course watches / clocks.

5.jpg
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: Vintage Russian Watch Collection Complete!

Post by borderman »

A very interesting and different collection :thumbup:

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

borderman wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:26 am A very interesting and different collection :thumbup:

Dave
Thanks! Has been a lot of fun - just realized my new watch-box has a crack in the lid, I never saw before! Oh well, I'm keeping it!

BTW if you know anyone trying to learn servicing, my watch maker says the Raketa 2609s and most any Pobeda are fabulous and cheap to practice on.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

What a great little group! :clap:

Any chance of a close-up of the Copernicus? It looks very interesting.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:49 am What a great little group! :clap:

Any chance of a close-up of the Copernicus? It looks very interesting.
Quite Right! - should have included close-ups of the other three as well. These are shots of the other 3 from the original Ebay Auctions.

Raketa 24.jpg
Signal.jpg
Copernicus.jpg

P.S. The Copernicus is one of the most hypnotic watches I've ever worn. It makes an 'Eclipse' each hour at seemingly random times. Also, the crystal has a very strange shape that looks both like a Terrarium/Scientific Enclosure, but also has a lovely bit of optical distortion at the edge. It feels both high-tech and alchemic at the same time.

Copernicus 2.jpg
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks! :thumbup:

The Copernicus is a great conversation piece. I assume the inner bezel divisions on the sub watch are colour-coded for the on-board "watches" (as in Navy time)?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:03 am Thanks! :thumbup:

The Copernicus is a great conversation piece. I assume the inner bezel divisions on the sub watch are colour-coded for the on-board "watches" (as in Navy time)?
Exactly. Four/Eight hr. tours and then off time. Curious too how it makes a rather subconscious Radiation Warning symbol. Was funny to find out it wasn't water resistant. Most all Russian military watches are, but when I asked my watch-smith he said: "On a submarine, if your watch is wet - you are dead".
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

What an outstanding themed collection! I love it. The box with the sticker is a nice touch. The info plate on the inside lid will really complete it. Thanks for sharing.
Drew
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

So finally completed the info panel going in the lid of the collection-box. Is being printed now. But will just post the image file here so is easy to see. The background image is a space-themed mosaic mural in the Ulan-Ude Airport completed in 1983.
Attachments
Sovietsky.jpg
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ woooow, that’s outstanding! Did you put that together yourself?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Very cool themed collection! I would bet there aren't too many around with all of those watches in one place! Nice presentation too! The lid info panel is an awesome idea. :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

The addition of the info panel really brings this whole collection together! Great job! I love how there is a very specific focus to this collection and that you weary them regularly. I could easily see this, with the box and info panel, being the type of thing someone puts together and has out for display, purely as a collection, so it’s nice to see they are being worn.
Drew
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:51 pm ^^^ woooow, that’s outstanding! Did you put that together yourself?
I did. Was a lot of fun. Kinda' Cherry-picked the most likable of the old Communist/Soviet Leaders ;0)
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:15 pm The addition of the info panel really brings this whole collection together! Great job! I love how there is a very specific focus to this collection and that you weary them regularly. I could easily see this, with the box and info panel, being the type of thing someone puts together and has out for display, purely as a collection, so it’s nice to see they are being worn.
Thanks! That's the idea. I was just over at a POSH jewelry store having something engraved, and looked at all the Rolexs, Oris, Breitling and such and was amazed how formulaic a lot of brands are becoming. Rolex in particular just looks so "iPod" today (yet the prices are not going down).

This is a 'humble bundle', but something I can really have fun with, and when people assume our modern world of profit-first and planned obsolescence are the only way to go, I can pull these out of the closet and show them - it doesn't have to be that way.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Nice collection which, imho, lacks a scuba dude and one of the gulf war watches; maybe you need a second phase komrade?

As for "not a fan of Eastern bloc cameras" do you just not like Leica clone rangefinders?
20210311_134223.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands