Vintage Russian Watch Collection Complete!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Re: Vintage Russian Watch Collection Complete!

Post by artphotodude »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:01 am Nice collection which, imho, lacks a scuba dude and one of the gulf war watches; maybe you need a second phase komrade?

As for "not a fan of Eastern bloc cameras" do you just not like Leica clone rangefinders?20210311_134223.jpg
I've heard a LOT of great things about Fed cameras. Originally I shot medium and large format commercially, and at the time everything was about the Hasselblad 'inspired' designs like Kiev 88 that were good picture takes but technically not very robust or reliable. I have a great friend north of Moscow who is an oracle on the subject that has made several good recommendations in the 35mm size like Fed and Also a number of the Contax-style designs. Personally, I've shot the quirky Exa and Exacta (East German) and they outperformed West German Zeiss (from the time) in every way. VERY GLAD for the photographers of the world that they found ways through the embargos.

Kine_Exakta_Typ_3_Bj._1938_-2745.jpg

For the watch collection, you are right there are a lot of important milestones that could be explored. The ones I'm most interested in are Raketa's Polar Explorer series, Rolex inspired, Perpetual Calendar, 'Jeans' and 'Star Wars' dress watches, semiprecious-stone carved cases, 1980 Olympics commemoratives by various makers and NASA tribute, and "Friendship with China" watches.

ExNSPYsVgAAm0yn.jpeg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Additionally, there are a number of other models, including electronic, Tuning Fork, Raketa's , Volna precision (Vostok), and if history is the focus, then Molnija Pocket Watches and Pobeda wristwatches are king (both ULTRA AFFORDABLE to collect). There's a lot of talk about the Poljot Okean, but the first of this navy watch was made by Pobeda!

s-l1600.jpg

My collection is focused squarely on balance between technical and aesthetic balance. Form , function & reliability - perfectly balanced into excellent quality of life utility. And for that reason, there IS a Vostok Amphibia in the mix, but since that has a current pop-cultural theme in the Mod-Scene, that's how it's getting explored (more to show soon - Custom Dial, Relume, bezel, band and presentation case-back). I don't want to own more than I can actually use and enjoy. Otherwise the meaning of them starts to get lost.

One watch that sadly didn't make the cut, after trying it out was the Poljot De Luxe Ultra Slim. SUPREMELY Elegant, stunning movement worthy of a presentation case-back and timeless style, but requires a fairly short service interval or winding the watch requires pliers!

Considering how elegant and light (not to mention unique) the Copernicus is, the Ultra Slim wound up being gifted to someone else. For someone however how needs a very modern slick watch for dressy occasions and doesn't mind coping with the winding issue, I do think the Ultra Slims are worthy investments - at least until they get rich enough to buy a modern dress watch.

poljot-de-luxe.jpg

From this point on (after the Vostok Mod is completed shortly), I'm looking to start working on these myself. My watchmaker has made some great recommendations of how to get started, and with the exception of my chrono (too complex), would like to be able to service my own collection, and be able to pick up these great deals to service and give as gifts.

One AMAZING part of this story are the Zaria Ladies Watches! To horology's women, sick of boring watches, the reds had you covered and these feature every bit the quality of the men's watches even offering automatics like this 30-jewel bobble at the end!

EwKMA7LUcAUVntE.jpeg
EwKMCR0VkAET3_P.jpeg
EwKMDgVVcAABlIo.jpeg
EwKL_U6VoAU-Mn6.jpeg
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

One last quick update for anyone wanting to help a youngster to take an interest in Horology - Raketa (once again) has just the reliable style-piece to get them setup. They made a series in the 1980's called "Shkolnie" or "School" watches for children with nice big easy-wind crowns. There are two colors Teal-Blue and Deep Red - both with a 'lined-paper' motif on the dial.

The Red is MUCH HARDER to find in good shape as that color appears to have faded a lot worse and most of the dials are essentially pure-white after 30 years, but the blue is really easy to find - often for under $30. While not waterproof, they are tough as nails and good time-keepers that might be just the thing to plant the love of mechanical in your tablet/touchscreen wielding kids' minds.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

P.P.S. a couple more I've picked up as gifts for family (That I'll also 'Gift' to my OWN COLLECTION in time ;0p are the following:

1. The Soyuz Commemorative models have one of the best Dials EVER! And these are very comparable to a Copernicus in price.

rs.jpg

2. Also, a somewhat rarer model (yet not especially expensive) are the colloquially-named "Driving Watches". They have a crown at 4-5 o'clock and a VERY readable textured dial and mirrored markers. Picked one up for my Brother in Law's B-Day, who's a "Man's Man" because of the shear macho-ness of it and I wore it one day before mailing it to him. While still chromed, the bracelet is ultra-comfortable and solid-link, and it is probably the most comfortable all-metal watch I've ever worn. Also, it wears BEAUTIFULLY. Even areas were the brass is showing-through don't hurt the appeal in the slightest.
Best of all, while not water-proof, it has a fair bit of water/moisture resistance and with the addition of a rubber o-ring behind the crown, becomes probably the most stylish work-watch ever.

oc.jpg