https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjYT80ATfBY

The first watch is no slouch, but the Octopus starts at 3.45
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The Amazing Octopus

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ll pass on that crazy octopus. I like the first watch, but I don’t understand exactly how the 24 hour complication works with that day/night indicator?
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:36 pm I’ll pass on that crazy octopus. I like the first watch, but I don’t understand exactly how the 24 hour complication works with that day/night indicator?
I think that the little triangle in the night sector points at the 24 hour dial?
20210329_074714.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I think the octopus is marvellous. That is, it makes me marvel. Whimsical and technologically and creatively superb. I could gaze on this for hours. Both sides of it. The craftsmanship blows me away. A slight aside (!) is that I wouldn’t wear it to tell the time, but why would I have to when I could just own it to gaze at?? :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 am
I think that the little triangle in the night sector points at the 24 hour dial?

Correct, I think. The triangle indicates the 24-h time, and the "state of the day" is at the top. So at 6am the night/day terminator will be at the top, indicating sunrise (depending on your latitude and time zone). When the arrow points to 18 the day/night terminator will be at the top.

Pretty thing, but probably only really useful if you're on a Christmas bender in Longyearbyen. Over 63 years I've sort of got used to looking outside and seeing whether it's day or night. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 am I think that the little triangle in the night sector points at the 24 hour dial? 20210329_074714.jpg
That’s what I assumed. But doesn’t that render the whole day/night bit useless??
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:15 pm That’s what I assumed. But doesn’t that render the whole day/night bit useless??
It works once you realise that the arrow points to the actual time and the 24h mark is a visual representation of where you are in the day. So in the picture it wants about 4h until sunrise. Would work well in Quito or Singapore all year.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:20 pm and the 24h mark is a visual representation of where you are in the day.
Thanks for that, Steve. I saw your post after I made my post, but still didn’t quite understand. This makes some sense.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^It's about as much use as a chocolate radiator most of the time. But it's kind of attractive in a steampunk/gothic sort of way.

Not €6000+ sort of attractive, though.
Steve

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:01 pm ^^^It's about as much use as a chocolate radiator most of the time. But it's kind of attractive in a steampunk/gothic sort of way.

Not €6000+ sort of attractive, though.
For most of us it has the same usefulness as a GMT hand has the vast majority of the time. Or a moonphase. And slightly more useful than Snoopy flying in a rocket. Let's be honest: It's about the art, and the hand engraved day/night is meant to be enjoyed for the artistry more than the indication. Not entirely unlike the rather stunning CW moonphase.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.