Is the Rolex Explorer II 'a' one-watch??

A place to discuss other watch-brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Is the Rolex Explorer II 'a' one-watch??

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm One thing I would add - I think a one watch candidate ought not have a feature that is defining to a specific use. The timing bezel would keep a diver from ever being a true one watch for me. Same thing for the C65 AM GT LE: the sundials and the tachometer tie it too closely to a specific use.
That’s an interesting thought, I’ve considered this but from the completely opposite point of view. For me a one watch is a watch that will do everything. Looks smart, tough, comfortable, small enough to fit with a shirt but big enough to easily read the time, legible in any light and must have good lume for night time wearing.

It would have to have a date, and as I regularly time everyday things, cooking, time left before my car gets a ticket etc. it would have to have a timing function. This could be a chronograph, but unless it’s a big watch they can be hard to read. For this reason I prefer a dive bezel to measure elapsed time.

Im starting to realise that this watch doesn’t actually exist as anything which could be a true one watch, always has something which leaves one box unticked. I think if someone made it, then it would probably be hideously ugly and I wouldn’t want to wear it after all.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm I think it’s difficult to define a “one watch.” Because everyone’s particular needs and tastes vary, it would be unique to the individual. Does one watch equate to all-purpose watch?
It's very difficult to define! And we've tried often on the forum over the years!!
I was just wondering if it's possible to put together a list of 'possible' one-watches, that you might refer someone to if they were looking for a one watch for them.

WRT a one watch being an all-purpose watch, then I admit I'm starting to rethink that one. I'd always assumed that a one watch would need a few different functions to make it as purposeful as possible. But I'm not sure I feel that as much as I once did. I enjoy the GMT hand on my C60 trident GMT, but have never actually used it! I do think I will always need aa date function, but that's becoming negotiable now too!

Edit - if I could time a boiled egg with an explorer I then my timing requirements are probably fulfilled! :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:28 pm For me a one watch is a watch that will do everything. Looks smart, tough, comfortable, small enough to fit with a shirt but big enough to easily read the time, legible in any light and must have good lume for night time wearing.

Im starting to realise that this watch doesn’t actually exist as anything which could be a true one watch, always has something which leaves one box unticked. I think if someone made it, then it would probably be hideously ugly and I wouldn’t want to wear it after all.
That’s partly why I raised the question of one watch vs. all purpose watch. An all purpose, do everything watch might wind up being a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none abomination! :lol: Personally, I interpret one watch as meaning a watch I could easily live with as my only watch. And in that regard, I refer back to my initial comment: difficult to define because it would be unique to each individual.

As a side note, I used to consider myself a one watch guy when my C65 Trident Vintage was my daily wearer with the exception of a beater for yard work and house work. Now that I have five watches in regular rotation, I can’t imagine going back wearing just one watch, despite how much I love my C65 Trident Vintage and all the one watch boxes it ticks.

Great thread Lindsey!
Drew
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I am lucky enough to have the 2009 explorer ii with a white dial. It is a great watch, very comfortable etc. I would say that with a white dial though, I would not want it as my one watch choice though. It is nice to have it in a combination with a black dial watch. I have a black dial Oyster Perpetual 41 as well, and the two of them could be an excellent two watch combo.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

nbg wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm Possibly...

Although if push came to shove I would go with the 36mm 114270 Explorer over the 40mm 16570 Explorer II.
D27CC29A-285C-4A02-B7A8-DB4FF8EEF8DB.jpeg
Both are happy getting wet, gardening, playing with grandchildren, cooking, hiking, travelling, fishing, going to restaurants, other activities and generally doing nothing. However the 114270 is the one, of the two that I would more likely wear to a posh meal, or black tie event.

They both tick the understated, nobody notices it box, which I regard as a good thing.

Don’t think I will ever reduce to one watch. But I can definitely say that these two would both be part of a final six, if I ever head in that direction.

Neil
Interesting. Although my comparison would be 40mm Explorer II v's 39mm Explorer, I think I'd have to keep the Explorer II. The white dial is certainly less formal but I could easily live with that, and trade it for the date and GMT.

Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:39 pm Personally, I interpret one watch as meaning a watch I could easily live with as my only watch. And in that regard, I refer back to my initial comment: difficult to define because it would be unique to each individual.
Completely agree. :thumbup:

I could have picked other watches that I have that would have ticked the same boxes as my mental checklist, albeit not as good a choices on the posh meal front. Alternatively others that happily ticked that box, fall down for me, as they stray into the not comfortable wearing in particular situations/locations.

Therefore for me it’s not about a tick list of watch complications. At the end of the day, I don’t need the date on a watch (I know what the date is), nor do I need a timing bezel (if there was something I was doing that I could use a twisty bezel to time - I would just remember when I started!). GMT is certainly one of my favourite functions, buy I have never needed to use it (whether abroad on holiday, or talking to folk in different time zones when I worked).

Now a chronograph - that’s a different matter. But every chronograph that I can think of fails at least one of my tests. Otherwise that is what I would pick as a one watch, or one of few. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

missF wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:16 pm
nbg wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm a posh meal

That has to be taken into account too. So the Explorer I makes the list certainly (even if it makes me nervous that it doesn't have a date or some other function!). (I'd probably choose the 36mm silver dial OP over the explorer - I prefer the handset to the mercedes hands)

Any more brands that aren't omega or rolex to be considered as one watches??
I'd be quite happy to have my 39mm Explorer 214170 as a one watch collection. With a G-shock on the side.

38mm GP Laureato could fit the bill also. Can't suggest which colour as I change my mind frequently. I think I like the silver dial best. Sadly I don't have one.

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Yip, I can easily see the Laureato on a list of one watches. I like the silver too. Looks slightly dressier to my eyes than the explorer i (but none the worse for that, horses being for courses!)
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

If the 38mm laureato had any sort of adjustment in the clasp I think I would still have mine. That was the one thing for me that stopped it being a one watch contender.

As a side note of my current watches my datejust 36 would be the leading candidate. Comfortable with a great clasp, lovely proportions, date, good wr and smart or casual.

Might save you a few bob v 16570 Lindsey :thumbup:
Cheers now, Paul
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

stefs wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:16 pm
Might save you a few bob v 16570 Lindsey :thumbup:
I've just been revisiting datejusts and dreaming, but I think I'd still choose an OP. This marks a big shift in my thinking that I need to explore a bit - could I do without a date function??? I'm starting to think that maybe indeed I could! :o
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

stefs wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:51 pm In fact I looked the other day and wf ( who I bought mine from ) had a full box and papers version but two years older and was £8450! Bad news is it could get worse if rolex release an anniversary release this year.this always bumps up the previous models.
I found this out to my cost with my hulk.

If you want one get in quick
I tend not to look at WF prices anymore, so hadn’t realised how far market prices (or rather their asking prices) have moved. Bonkers prices. :shock:

The last time I bought a preowned Rolex was five years ago.

I reckon that the cult of the latest must have models pushing up the price of the discontinued ones has made the hobby less enjoyable.

Neil
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 pm
I reckon that the cult of the latest must have models pushing up the price of the discontinued ones has made the hobby less enjoyable.

Neil
Is that not to say that Rolex specifically have made the hobby less enjoyable???
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^ Maybe Lindsey. :problem:

Although if I started again tomorrow I would still end up with a couple. I would like to think that was because I really liked the watches for how good they are in their category. Rather than many folk who just seem to buy because they view it as a minimal risk investment, that they are too afraid to wear and scratch.

Neil
TZ-UK
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I bought my OP 41 with a black dial a month or two ago, and was not sure whether to wear it on not. i am so pleased I have, as I really like it, even though it is their base watch, I think it is great on almost every occasion.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:55 pm Rather than many folk who just seem to buy because they view it as a minimal risk investment, that they are too afraid to wear and scratch.
Here's the rub. The watches are excellent, tough, wearable and practical. To treat them like faïence and wrap them in cotton wool is beyond a joke. They need to be worn.

Please, Lindsey, if you buy one wear the damn' thing! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)