Is the Rolex Explorer II 'a' one-watch??

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: Is the Rolex Explorer II 'a' one-watch??

Post by Viognier »

If financially I had to get to one watch I could.

That said (and I'm actually selling to achieve this in my collection....) I can get to 3 or 4 and hold that number. The watches that compose that finite number may change but I can achieve that number.

For me:

1 or 2 divers
1 chrono
1 versatile dress up/or down all purpose watch that is a strap magnet
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 am Maybe the one watch question is simply a philosophical exercise that helps us hone our watch buying so that we make better decisions out in the real world?
Perhaps giving some thought to the “one watch” question is a bit like checking ones bearings while one journey. You might not ever settle on one watch but thinking it about it keeps you on the right path.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

gwells wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:59 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:22 am ^^^^You're correct about Scooter. It was a while back that he went on a 'long journey' to get a Jager LeCoutre (or similar) but ended up selling it for his Rolex Submariner.

As for AVO and his Cartier Tank? Sorry, but you're totally barking up the wrong tree on that. He's still got it, and will likely never let it go.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
maybe it was the one before the cartier? i'm sure steve will chime in and correct me. i could have sworn he had an expensive regret watch.
Good to see you back, Greg.

Guy is correct; the Tank is still here and going nowhere. It was probably the Nomos Tangente that I had for a few years. Although it was the most expensive watch I had bought at the time, it wasn't really a regret. I sold it because after the Tank arrived I wasn't wearing it.

I do regret selling it because it was a lovely watch. There are sometimes days when I wish I still had it. But I have drifted away a little from the pure dress and vintage styles, so even were I to replace it, it still probably wouldn't get worn that much.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

The concept of a one-watch is interesting. One watch that will not look out of place anywhere, and do basically everything. It is not the ‘my watch’ of most people way back when, which is of course what we would now call a dress watch.
So it is a ‘middle of the road’ kind of watch. A goldilock watch. Not too this and not too that. Of course, this is highly subjective. What looks out of place to me may seem perfectly ok to you. The Submariner is an interesting case to consider. It began life as a tool, designed to do a job.

Now the Submariner seems to qualify as a one-watch for most people - perhaps even the ultimate one-watch for men, because of years of very clever marketing. I would have liked to be present when someone bravely proposed that what was a very toolish watch ought to be marketed as a watch equally at home in the boardroom and at a cocktail reception as below the sea. Maybe the idea came from the Bond film? It is well documented that Connery was handed the personal Rolex of someone on the film set for the famous scene. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in Rolex lore can tell us when the first ad along these lines came? And because of the Submariner other divers watches seem to qualify also, as long as they are somewhat discreet.

It seems to me that the current craze for steel sports watches is in part because they are seen as a one-watch to many people. A watch that is sporty, but ‘equally at home in the boardroom’.
Bjørn
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

ONE watch!!!

Are you mad, girl. Or have you been talking to my wife? 😂
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wis wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:59 pm And because of the Submariner other divers watches seem to qualify also, as long as they are somewhat discreet.

It seems to me that the current craze for steel sports watches is in part because they are seen as a one-watch to many people. A watch that is sporty, but ‘equally at home in the boardroom’.
I think these two sentences are quite telling, Bjørn. Whatever its beginnings, I do believe that the Submariner has been for a long time now a sensible, almost conservative, choice for a one watch. A dive watch that is discreet, perhaps some kind of PO or perhaps even a Trident mark 3, is quite obviously acceptable in any situation. The Rolex has a lot of plus points: great brand history and image; smart and stylish; excellent construction and reliability; and to quote an old advert for some type of booze (I can’t remember which) – reassuringly expensive.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 pm ONE watch!!!

Are you mad, girl. Or have you been talking to my wife? 😂
:lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

We live in a different age than the mad men era, where there were “proper” watches to wear for certain situations.

Personally, I’d wear a lot of my regular watches with a tux. I mean, if I didn’t have my grandfather’s omega deville, which a tux is a good excuse to wear it. But the PO, the blue 556i (my tux jacket has a subtle blue plaid), the aqua terra, my old zodiac seawolf... few people worry about it that much any more, so I would avoid something that just looked awkward; U1, Doxa, a gshock, or something brightly colored/oversized.

Like I said, the world has changed. Most of us don’t wear suits or ties to work any more. I wear jeans and a collared shirt 99% of the time (even pre-pandemic) and I work in a large, professional AE firm. Watches have evolved the same way.
the "g" is for Greg...
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Viognier wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:39 am If financially I had to get to one watch I could.

That said (and I'm actually selling to achieve this in my collection....) I can get to 3 or 4 and hold that number. The watches that compose that finite number may change but I can achieve that number.

For me:

1 or 2 divers
1 chrono
1 versatile dress up/or down all purpose watch that is a strap magnet
That is where I got to for quite a long while
1 gmt
1 diver
1 dj
1 dressy (reverso)
This i still reckon is a good 4 watch collection but was supposed to be the stage before reducing further. Instead with my recent cw splurg plus a seiko I have gone further away still and it isn’t something I’m over comfortable with.

I wonder if just one watch is actually easier to deal with than a small collection
Cheers now, Paul
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

stefs wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:44 pm and it isn’t something I’m over comfortable with.
Sounds like a touch of rotation drama. I find it interesting that many of us have a limit beyond which we get uncomfortable with our collection.
Here's my theory on how to resolve this - simply buy three more watches, quickly, then sell three watches again, quickly. The feeling that your collection is coming down in size will make you comfortable once you get back to your starting point!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

ONE watch!!!

Are you mad, girl. Or have you been talking to my wife?
My wife, despite loving jewellery, has NO INTEREST in watches. She thinks I do have only one :D
Watches have evolved the same way
As has our idea of "formal wear" the DJ/Tux was originally considered to be for less formal occasions.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Wis wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:59 pm The concept of a one-watch is interesting. One watch that will not look out of place anywhere, and do basically everything. It is not the ‘my watch’ of most people way back when, which is of course what we would now call a dress watch.
So it is a ‘middle of the road’ kind of watch. A goldilock watch. Not too this and not too that. Of course, this is highly subjective. What looks out of place to me may seem perfectly ok to you. The Submariner is an interesting case to consider. It began life as a tool, designed to do a job.

Now the Submariner seems to qualify as a one-watch for most people - perhaps even the ultimate one-watch for men, because of years of very clever marketing. I would have liked to be present when someone bravely proposed that what was a very toolish watch ought to be marketed as a watch equally at home in the boardroom and at a cocktail reception as below the sea. Maybe the idea came from the Bond film? It is well documented that Connery was handed the personal Rolex of someone on the film set for the famous scene. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in Rolex lore can tell us when the first ad along these lines came? And because of the Submariner other divers watches seem to qualify also, as long as they are somewhat discreet.

I think it was 1965. Well that seems to be when this advert was produced.
319E99A0-C457-407C-9D71-D57951C55E89.jpeg
Not sure if it was at a similar time, but the reverse of diving tool watch to evening wear was used in this DateJust advert.
38A80503-4094-442D-8EFE-0607EF3AFFD2.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Thanks Neil. 1965 makes sense. The relevant Bond film, Dr. No, premiered 5. October 1962. So my theory could be true. 😎
Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:29 pmWhatever its beginnings, I do believe that the Submariner has been for a long time now a sensible, almost conservative, choice for a one watch. A dive watch that is discreet, perhaps some kind of PO or perhaps even a Trident mark 3, is quite obviously acceptable in any situation. The Rolex has a lot of plus points: great brand history and image; smart and stylish; excellent construction and reliability; and to quote an old advert for some type of booze (I can’t remember which) – reassuringly expensive.
Reassuringly expensive, and universally recognised and respected. Not a bad combination when you need a watch to signal that you’ve made it. A very safe choice. No wonder it has become virtually unobtainable now that the Chinese middle class has discovered it.
Bjørn
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

the rolex sub is also **THE** most "homaged" watch out there.
the "g" is for Greg...