Any suggestions for a small problem?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Any suggestions for a small problem?

Post by jkbarnes »

Many years ago when my son was still a little boy (he turns 18 TODAY, by the way!) I bought him a Casio Illuminator World Timer. He hasn’t worn it in years. Today I bought some new batteries for it & installed them, did the AC reset, put the back on, and went to set it. Problem is, the two buttons for adjusting settings are not responding at all, making the watch impossible to set. I can’t imagine my son managed to break this thing at some point.

Any trouble shooting tips? I may remove the batteries, reinstall them, and try resetting the watch to see if that helps.
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Any suggestions for a small problem?

Post by StrappedUp »

Is it possible to try operating the buttons on the module itself (out of the case) as a test?

Could well be that they've just become 'stuck' from inactivity.

Is there any tactile feedback from the buttons?
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I opened the watch back up, removed and reinserted the batteries, and reset the watch. Same problem.

As for tactile response, it’s hard to say because I’m pushing an outer rubber cushion, so to speak, that pushes the button underneath. When observing the pushing of the buttons with the caste off, I can see a small contact being depressed against what I presume is part of the movement. Beyond that, anything is a guess.

This isn’t the end of the world, as my son’s not going to where the watch, and I probably won’t either. It’s just that it has a lot of really cool functions, and I just wanted to play around with it, you know? It’s frustrating more than anything.
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Is it possible to try operating those contacts without the case buttons?
Just try to eliminate one potential thing at a time.
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

StrappedUp wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:20 pm Is it possible to try operating those contacts without the case buttons?
Just try to eliminate one potential thing at a time.
Sorry, I should have responded directly to that suggesting. I don’t think so. With the case back off, the watch display says “open,” suggesting to me it doesn’t have full functionality. I’ll see however, if I can work the buttons with the case back off to see if anything happens. I don’t want to try my hand at removing the movement though!
Drew
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Yes, I'd try the same. The pushers are likely acting on a direct springy metal contact which bears down on another contact which might be part of the main board. You might be able to de-case the movement with the battery in situ, and inspect where the pushers press. There might be corrosion you can gently scrape or at least test by bridging the contacts manually.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Is there a switch (mechanical or opto) on the back of the module to detect the caseback is off? Don't know why there would be though.

Could you post a quick pic of the module?
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

StrappedUp wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:42 pm Is there a switch (mechanical or opto) on the back of the module to detect the caseback is off? Don't know why there would be though.

Could you post a quick pic of the module?
There is. There’s a spot with two contact points that clearly make contact with a small plate on the case back, as indicated in the first photo. In the second photo the non-function pushers can be seen on the right.

I’ve managed to remove the movement, and I’ve placed it on the case back! Contact made! With the movement removed, the buttons are functioning. Currently trying to set the watch with the movement sitting on the case back in a movement holder. Not easy, but doable!

0C58E3ED-0D60-42A4-AEFF-23472413F09A.jpeg
Contact points circled
AF01CC9B-07EF-4C58-945C-ACDCEB2057F0.jpeg
Pushers on the right are the non-functioning ones
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Take the gasket out and give the case a gentle scrub in some warm water and a soft toothbrush (or similar).

Looks a little cruddy around the back of the case, so the pushers could also be affected.

Give it a good dry, then re-case and try again perhaps.
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

StrappedUp wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:31 pm Take the gasket out and give the case a gentle scrub in some warm water and a soft toothbrush (or similar).

Looks a little cruddy around the back of the case, so the pushers could also be affected.

Give it a good dry, then re-case and try again perhaps.
I’ll try that. You know, it doesn’t look nearly as cruddy in person. I was kind of shocked what the photo revealed.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Well my attempt to get the pushers working has backfired. Now only ONE pusher is working! I’m going to leave it for now and come back to it later.

Despite the fact that this watch probably isn’t going to get worn much, if at all, it is now a challenge I must accept to get all the pushers working!
Drew
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Remove the battery and clean around the pushers with some 90% rubbing alcohol. Allow it time to dry before replacing the battery.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

I have a g-shock with two batteries, and there are two AC reset points. Worth looking up the module number online (I can possibly look later).
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Also, it's probably worth soaking the gasket in silicon grease before final reassembly if you don't have a replacement. Just to help keep it supple. Spray or rub some on, leave it for 10 mins and gently rub off any excess. (not with the seal in situ in the watch)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Lavaine wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:09 pm Remove the battery and clean around the pushers with some 90% rubbing alcohol. Allow it time to dry before replacing the battery.
I’ll give that a go.

monkeymax wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:38 pm Worth looking up the module number online
That’s the first thing I did because I had no idea what AC reset even meant. Definitely only one AC point.

monkeymax wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:39 pm Also, it's probably worth soaking the gasket in silicon grease before final reassembly if you don't have a replacement. Just to help keep it supple. Spray or rub some on, leave it for 10 mins and gently rub off any excess. (not with the seal in situ in the watch)
I was thinking about this very thing. I think I have some and will give it a go.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Drew