Seamaster thoughts

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Seamaster thoughts

Post by Lavaine »

brash47 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:13 am I strap a $2000+ watch on my wrist every day when I go out and run a patrol shift.

Brash
I wear basically all my watches (excepting the vintage and dress watches) for all manner of sporting and recreational activities. I don't however, wear my better watches working on the road. I'd rather that I be the one to damage one of my watches, rather than a patient in an enraged state. Having broken a strap or two, and a crystal (glass, not sapphire mind you) while at work, I leave the nicer stuff in the watch box on work days, and generally stick to the affordable tool watches for work. I look forward to office days when I can wear the big guns, especially over the last year when I haven't had occasion to wear them out anywhere socially.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I wondered if making a statement about suitability for diving might raise eyebrows! I'm not a diver, never have been, never will. While there are plenty of anecdotes out there on t'internet about people merrily wearing Subs, SMPs and such for diving, there are also countless folk who will all-out state the opposite preferring bespoke dive calculators augmented by G-shocks or lower end divers as timing backups- especially with those for whom diving is their occupation- simply because the watch is a backup to the main tool and an expensive wrist adornment isn't necessary. I think we can all agree that the Seamaster could do the job as a waterproof timer, but not everyone would feel it a particularly good fit to the need.

As for wearing an expensive watch amid all extremes and exposure to damage, well, that's everyone's choice- there is no right or wrong. Again, I'd be happy with swapping for a cheaper watch. Yes, I know my bike and cars would be really fun to take around a track, but where there is opportunity to rent a race-school steed, I do that. If you don't have to risk your pride and joy, why would you?
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Thanks all for this thread and Albionphoto's review! It's been superb reading!
I have always quite liked the Seamaster, but have recently gotten quite enamoured by a colleague's Seamaster Chronograph. Not sure I can justify the cost of one, but the design seems so much better put together than anything else I've found that is a dive watch with Chronograph - it's just... 'right'. The more I look at the Seamasters the more I think there's no wrong choice! :lol:
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I wear my Seamasters and they have the scars and scratches to prove it. For me I buy watches I like and wear them. That's what they are for. I don't own any vintage watches which would probably be treated differently. The whole idea that watches are an investment doesn't play well with me.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

monkeymax wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am Thanks all for this thread and Albionphoto's review! It's been superb reading!
I have always quite liked the Seamaster, but have recently gotten quite enamoured by a colleague's Seamaster Chronograph. Not sure I can justify the cost of one, but the design seems so much better put together than anything else I've found that is a dive watch with Chronograph - it's just... 'right'. The more I look at the Seamasters the more I think there's no wrong choice! :lol:
I have a couple of older Seamaster chronos using the Valjoux movement rather than the current METAS movementys. Personally I prefer three sub-dials to two but must admit that the 2021 Americas Cup looks very nice... :D :D
Glad you enjoyed the review too.
Mark
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:23 pmI have a couple of older Seamaster chronos using the Valjoux movement rather than the current METAS movementys. Personally I prefer three sub-dials to two but must admit that the 2021 Americas Cup looks very nice... :D :D
Glad you enjoyed the review too.
The 2021 Americas Cup ones are indeed lovely (finally, a quick release mechanism on a Seamaster!) but I agree with you that the three sub-dial ones are beautifully balanced in comparison. Sadly even with a discount the 2021 AC one is still unobtanium for me! :lol:
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

But you might be able to get discounts on the three sub dial variants if they're lurking in an AD.

ImageYork, Yorkshire, pub, pubs, public houses by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr
Mark
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

@albionphoto
"I own both. Here are my thoughts, in a hopefully amusing way...
Two Seamasters walk into a pub – A comparison of the Seamaster 300M Ref. 212 (2012) and Ref 210 (2018)"

That is a really superb comparison, written in a really novel and amusing way. Personally, I like elements about both watches. I can't believe the SS bracelet doesn't taper on either, nor that that fact hasn't been remedied. I tried the white dial Ref 210 on black rubber in an AD, I was quite smitten in truth. Thanks for a brilliant write up.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Cheers, Des. Glad you liked it.
Mark
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

I’m a fan boy of the SMP, I have been wearing this as my daily watch since 2017 ( I think) I work in retail/warehouse, lots of knocks, metal shelves, metal cages carrying stock, I have broken cheaper watches, straps, bracelets over the years but this bad boy is as good as the day I purchased it (pre owned) ... not sure what I’m trying to say other then don’t be scared to wear an expensive watch they are made quite well :thumbup:

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Fantastic comparison of the old guy and flash guy Mark, thanks for the effort taken in pulling that together.

I think a lot of the time people look at the original version of some watches with rose tinted glasses, sometimes the modern updates can make for a wholly better watch. I can't really speak about the older SMP's as I've never owned one.

For my part I love my flash guy 210 white dial black bezel SMP which I got last year on the black rubber strap, I've worn it all week and it is currently -4s which isn't too bad. As you say it is very comfortable on the rubber which I think makes the watch a more fun, casual wearing watch although it is so versatile you could get away with wearing with more formal attire (not that I have been in a formal setting for more than a year!).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Don't much care which Seamaster, they are what they are and they are fine.
As for the review, a damned enjoyable read. Seconds to the Bravos! Mark. Great stuff. :thumbup:
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:11 pm Fantastic comparison of the old guy and flash guy Mark, thanks for the effort taken in pulling that together.

I think a lot of the time people look at the original version of some watches with rose tinted glasses, sometimes the modern updates can make for a wholly better watch. I can't really speak about the older SMP's as I've never owned one.

For my part I love my flash guy 210 white dial black bezel SMP which I got last year on the black rubber strap, I've worn it all week and it is currently -4s which isn't too bad. As you say it is very comfortable on the rubber which I think makes the watch a more fun, casual wearing watch although it is so versatile you could get away with wearing with more formal attire (not that I have been in a formal setting for more than a year!).
Thanks Patrick. I wear my white dial Seamaster on the rubber strap too. I'm just wondering if I should make a video where I accuse CW of copying Omega over the white dial black bezel Trident as it clearly copied the Omega even though the CW was released at least five years earlier :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Noush wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:17 am Don't much care which Seamaster, they are what they are and they are fine.
As for the review, a damned enjoyable read. Seconds to the Bravos! Mark. Great stuff. :thumbup:
Glad you liked it. Thanks Chris.
Mark
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

kiter65 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:25 pm I’m a fan boy of the SMP, I have been wearing this as my daily watch since 2017 ( I think) I work in retail/warehouse, lots of knocks, metal shelves, metal cages carrying stock, I have broken cheaper watches, straps, bracelets over the years but this bad boy is as good as the day I purchased it (pre owned) ... not sure what I’m trying to say other then don’t be scared to wear an expensive watch they are made quite well :thumbup:

Great Seamaster on a lovely NATO. I'm in the watches should be worn camp, too. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I owned a PP, FP Journe etc. :lol:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?