The most popular "other brands"?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: The most popular "other brands"?

Post by gaf1958 »

StrapMeister wrote:i.e. irrespective of owning , say, 5 Omegas that would count as 1.
Not in my little section of the world Nigel! Image
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:53 pm This is an equally as interesting analysis as Steve’s original summary. Personally, I find this to be the more interesting number. I’m assuming Seiko covers Grand Seiko too (for both summaries)? How interesting that two more modestly priced brands rank so highly on the list.
Thank you Andrew
I thought this would throw up some differences.
To answer your question, No - I treated Seiko (29) and Grand Seiko (6) as 2 different brands.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Andrew I wasn’t surprised to see Seiko in such a prominent position in both the number of watches and number of owners lists.

A longstanding brand that does what it says on the tin and often the brand that many start with and retain an affinity to. There is also the point that those who get queasy at the thought of immersing an expensive watch in water, or using it in other than what they view as low risk settings, will often turn to a Seiko for such activities. I reckon this also accounts for Casio being higher up the owners, than number owned list.

Also if you strip out the predominantly one owner Vostok, Hamilton and Ebel watches the number owned list is very much as expected.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

^^^ Oh, I’m not exactly surprised by it, just that it’s really interesting - that lovers of fine watches clearly have an appreciation for value just as much as luxury....for the very reasons you mention.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

And Omega, it seems, is the Everyman luxury watch brand. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

How interesting that two more modestly priced brands rank so highly on the list.
It is interesting although perhaps not too much of a surprise as for me - and one of the things I appreciate about the brand - Seiko has something at pretty much every price point; whatever your budget, you can own a great watch for the money.

I was a bit surprised though not to see more Vostok on the list. Perhaps I'm biased as I own two but they are really great watches and seem to tick a lot of boxes regarding what people say they are interested in - original design, in-house movement, genuine history. Yes, a plastic crystal - but that never hurt the Speedmaster Moonwatch did it? (Unless of course you believe that story about Dave Scott on Apollo 15)!

Interesting though, and thanks to those who pulled the stats together :thumbup:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:25 am
Here, in reverse order are the top 10 (coincidentally all the brands with 20 or more).

10. Bremont = 20
9. Vostok = 24
8. Ebel = 25
6= Casio = 33
6= Rolex = 33
5. Hamilton = 37
4. Oris = 39
3. Tudor = 45
2. Seiko = 100
1. Omega = 124
Steve, I've throughly enjoyed watching this thread and must admit my two largest surprises were how many Casio's there were and honestly it surprised me that there were that few Rolex....always feels that Rolex are very prevalent here in the Non-CWL posts.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

StrapMeister wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:02 pm
I have counted 1 for each brand (not the number of that brand you have) and thus providing an insight into brand popularity.
...and the results are as follows:
  • 1st = Omega (32);
  • 2nd = Seiko (29);
  • 3rd = Casio (23);
  • 4th = Tudor (22);
  • 5th = Oris (19);
  • 6th = Rolex (16);
  • 7th = Tag Heuer (14);
  • =8th = Steinhart (11);
  • =8th = Citizen (11);
  • 9th = Hamilton (10);
  • 10th = Bremont (9).
Note: the number in brackets is the number of people that own a watch from that brand.
Okay on this look at the data still floored by Casio's presence but Tag Heuer vaults out of nowhere into the Top 10!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I've started to analyse this and have all the reported watches as of today in a spreadsheet. It is worth remembering that this is a small self-selected survey group and is probably only partially representative of the wider forum community, despite largely consisting of the usual suspects.

This is a snapshot of the top 30 brands ordered by No./% of total owners. Secondly it shows the No./% of total watches for each of these brands. I personally find it amazing/frightening that 54 members can own over 1K watches from 188 brands.

There are probably few major surprises in this. However, there are a few outliers that consist of brands with a significant number of watches owned by a small number of individuals. Some of these, but not all, appear in this top 30.

There is a long tail to this data. The next 30-40 brands are only owned by 2-3 members and the number of watches in general can be counted on the fingers of one hand. The final 100 or so brands are only owned by a single individual and often only a single watch, although there are some examples of significant brand loyalty down there.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 15.41.05.png

Note: Casio includes all watches with Casio branding on the case i.e. Casio, GShock and Ediface. Seiko are separated into Seiko, Grand Seiko and Credor which are now ostensibly separate brands.
Tim
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

nbg wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:07 pm
Also if you strip out the predominantly one owner Vostok, Hamilton and Ebel watches the number owned list is very much as expected.

Neil
In fairness Hamilton still made Nigel's top ten, based on number of owners of each brand :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

timor54 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:18 pmThe final 100 or so brands are only owned by a single individual and often only a single watch, although there are some examples of significant brand loyalty down there.
Interesting spreadsheet, I guess I’m one who is ‘down there’. :D
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I love this kind of stuff. I found myself rooting for Omega to win for some reason, as if it was a competition lol. Thanks for putting it together!

Someone mentioned Rolex has a big presence in the NCWOTD thread and were surprised at the low number here. But If I owned a Rolex, I’d flaunt it all the time I think. I kind of see it as a brand for flaunting, for better or worse. Maybe why it seems to have a bigger presence on the forum.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I think there are two things here, Alex. First of all, there are quite a lot of owners with very good collections who are, for whatever reason, Rolex free zones. Whereas a lot more people have the odd Omega floating around.

Also, and again with exceptions, those who own Rolexes tend not to have as many of them.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

timor54 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:18 pm ....54 members can own over 1K watches from 188 brands.
Thanks for all the analytics from the boffins. The finding above is truly remarkable.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ And that’s without CWs!
Steve