A Watermelon Watch

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: A Watermelon Watch

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Colourful, different, inexpensive. What's not to like? A definite fun watch for summer that some people will love.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

Thanks for posting this. I agree with Steve, there is not much to dislike here. I am very seriously considering the more conservative panda version.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Stretch goal announced - once they hit £80k (and at time of writing, they are just £221 away), all watch movements will be upgraded with a swan neck regulator.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

I received my watermelon watch last week. It was a well run campaign and a fine achievement to deliver a Kickstarter to schedule when others are failing.

My first watch had an issue whereby the chronograph would reset immediately upon stopping, but the watch was returned and replaced in three working days, this on top of the brand owner still working on completing US and EU orders.

Overall, I’m very pleased with it, and on the look out for a brighter strap to complement it!
06A94035-411B-4E13-9C1F-6CDC10CF9767.jpeg
FDF0AEF4-3EED-4587-8905-282FC82977C3.jpeg
E004057B-508B-4EE1-B8EF-2C78A8A5F356.jpeg
594C72FC-80B8-409C-8548-A8E5E2290B88.jpeg
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Lavaine wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:14 pm LOVE the colour of the Desert Sky dial. Really like the playfulness of the dial text. Hate the strap, but that's an easy fix. What isn't an easy fix is the horrible asymmetrical sub dials. Sorry Lindsey, but asymmetrical sub dials are a travesty and should never be allowed (personal opinion only of course)!
It's also about 1.5-2 times the price I'd expect to pay for a Chinese made ST-19 chrono.
So. I STILL think the strap is terrible, and asymmetrical sub dials remain an awful design element, BUT I think the execution of this watch is outstanding. And, as much as I liked the desert sky, I'm now loving the playfulness of the watermelon. The watermelon seed markers are really the icing on the cake, so to speak. It's probably a perfect summer / holiday watch.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
biggus_richus
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

That's a lot of fun and a great summer watch, as others have mentioned. I'm not a fan of all the dial text and it's placement, seems a bit random to me. Just the brand name at 12 and mechanical at 6 would have sufficed. The ST-19 chrono movement is always so visually satisfying. I find myself wanting some watermelon and Greek yoghurt this morning; can there be any higher praise.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
biggus_richus
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Awesome! That movement is beautiful, and your pics show off the dial texture nicely. Good pickup :thumbup: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
biggus_richus
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

ajax87 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:11 pm Awesome! That movement is beautiful, and your pics show off the dial texture nicely. Good pickup :thumbup: :thumbup:
The ST19 is a great movement for the price, both for style and function. It's likely the only column-wheel chronograph movement you'll find in a watch under $1k (My HKED 1963 Chinese Air Force was $200). Not as well finished as a Swiss movement, but it works surprisingly well.

2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Underdog have just opened for business, but sold out already.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

So I got an email today from Studio Underdog about a new colourway :D for the goofy chronograph. "Mint Choc Chip"

Orders open for 2pm GMT.
I checked at 2:20 and already sold out.

Nice colour. Here's the link anyway.

https://underd0g.com/products/01mct?utm ... pify_email
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

JAFO wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:58 pm So I got an email today from Studio Underdog about a new colourway :D for the goofy chronograph. "Mint Choc Chip"

Orders open for 2pm GMT.
I checked at 2:20 and already sold out.

Nice colour. Here's the link anyway.

https://underd0g.com/products/01mct?utm ... pify_email
Under three minutes to sell out from what I saw on social media. No idea how many there were, but more coming in all colours next year.
Rich.

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Studio Underd0g is now onto the 2nd Generation of the Water Melon model which is SOLD OUT but Rich, Richard or Ricky has (or should that be have) a novel response to 'scalpers'.

He posted a Reel on Instagram yesterday, from which this is a screenshot, showing a Water Melon on pre-order listed on eBay for £900+ and he cancelling the seller's pre-order for the watch.

Kudos to him.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 8):
biggus_richusdsb18welshladJAFOrkovarsOllyWA1soknownasStif
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

^^^ Kurono Tokyo invalidates the warranty of watches flipped within six months of delivery. If a person submits a warranty claim in the first six months who is not the original buyer or immediate family member the claim is rejected. Repairs, instead, will be offered at cost.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 2):
A1soknownasStif
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair