Seiko - 140 year anniversary

A place to discuss other watch-brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Seiko have announced the release of four Limited Edition watches across their Seiko 5, Presage, Prospex and Astron families.
They will all have the same blue and white colour way

https://wornandwound.com/seiko-celebrat ... -editions/

Here's the Prospex:
IMG_1409.jpeg

The Seiko five looks really good to me 8)
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Seiko - 140 year anniversary

Post by timor54 »

Agreed, the dial texture and what appears to be a brushed bezel on the Seiko 5 looks really nice; and only £270. Better rush as it’s a limited edition of 11000 pieces...

The new models that really interest me are the Presage Sharp Edged GMT’s. At last a reasonably priced traveler GMT with an independent hour hand. It’s just a bit of a shame they had to stick with the date sub dial rather than re-engineer it for a date window.
Tim
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

The Prospex model pictured, is a very nicely made watch. Well sized/proportioned. I love my sea grey dialed version.

6C8C2D41-5D29-458A-8392-281B2340A104.jpeg
Steve.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Yes of course a "limited edition" of 11000 will always either raise a smile or lead to some eye rollling, but it's good to see at least one at an accessible price. I quite like both the Seiko 5 and the Prospex. I've noticed than in addition to these four, there's a 'King Seiko', plus a couple of Grand Seiko models at rather eye watering prices.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Thermexman wrote:The Prospex model pictured, is a very nicely made watch. Well sized/proportioned. I love my sea grey dialed version.

Look how the end links fit the lugs. You literally can’t get worse if you tried. $100 Chinese watches blow it away on fit and finish.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:35 pm
Thermexman wrote:The Prospex model pictured, is a very nicely made watch. Well sized/proportioned. I love my sea grey dialed version.

Look how the end links fit the lugs. You literally can’t get worse if you tried. $100 Chinese watches blow it away on fit and finish.
^^^Wow. Thanks for that.
Steve.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Thermexman wrote:

^^^Wow. Thanks for that.
If Seiko is going to set a whole new level on pricing, I’m holding them to it on quality.

On the Marinemaster models that are now being replaced, the quality and value is still there. The replacement models, I don’t believe so. The lesser models, no way. It’s out of control if you look at watches like I’m pointing out above.

Look at what Jason Lim at Halios is doing for $775 and let’s talk about Seiko.

And keep in mind Jason’s clasp has a Halios signed button that you push to get micro adjustments on the fly. There is no comparison all the way up past a $3000 Seiko MM300. You have to spend $6000+ on a GS to get even close to Halios bracelet quality. And that’s ridiculous.

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I like that Seiko5 quite a bit! The white and blue makes for a nice combination.
Drew
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

@robotaz perhaps a little insensitive seeing that's one of if not Steve's favourite watch.

Personally I have no issue, Seiko make good watches at different price points and are also great watches for alternative straps and NATO's.

Keep wearing it Steve with or without the bracelet.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
dobbo99

Post by dobbo99 »

I really like the 5 and the Prospex, I've been looking for a white dial for a little while and this one grabs me.
I don't like the stock strap, plenty of others to choose from though
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

what-time-is-it wrote:@robotaz perhaps a little insensitive seeing that's one of if not Steve's favourite watch.

Personally I have no issue, Seiko make good watches at different price points and are also great watches for alternative straps and NATO's.

Keep wearing it Steve with or without the bracelet.
I have watches everyone hates. It’s part of it.

Sorry. It’s a classic watch regardless of my opinion.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I think the Seiko looks excellent. The angle probably doesn't do the fit of the end link/lugs any favours but you can find angles of many watches including a Rolex sub and a CW C60 where the lugs sometimes appear too long for the end links (or vice versa), plus strange gaps depending upon the position of the shot.

Having not held either so it is just based upon looks admittedly but the Seiko Prospex in terms of dial and bezel etc shouts solid tool diver and whilst the clasp and bracelet on the Halios look excellent, overall it just conveys microbrand to me (but still good value) that could be out of the same factory as a Lorier.

The Seiko range has something for everyone which then makes it difficult to explain the pricing when it is pitched at so many levels but they appear to be managing to achieve it successfully.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

A1soknownas wrote:

I think the Seiko looks excellent. The angle probably doesn't do the fit of the end link/lugs any favours but you can find angles of many watches including a Rolex sub and a CW C60 where the lugs sometimes appear too long for the end links (or vice versa), plus strange gaps depending upon the position of the shot.

Having not held either so it is just based upon looks admittedly but the Seiko Prospex in terms of dial and bezel etc shouts solid tool diver and whilst the clasp and bracelet on the Halios look excellent, overall it just conveys microbrand to me (but still good value) that could be out of the same factory as a Lorier.

The Seiko range has something for everyone which then makes it difficult to explain the pricing when it is pitched at so many levels but they appear to be managing to achieve it successfully.
That case never had a bracelet for decades until Seiko slapped one on recently.

Even when Seiko value propositions were undeniable, their bracelets were terrible. Always have been.

Hopefully being blunt about reality isn’t too foul. It is what it is. All watches have flaws. Some of my favorites that I own have completely indefensible flaws.

This is one of my favorites, but in typical Seiko style, the seconds hand will never hit the marks on a $1600 watch because the minute markers are not printed evenly on the dial. Warts and all. Warts and all. I love the watch though.

A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Robotaz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:37 am This is one of my favorites, but in typical Seiko style, the seconds hand will never hit the marks on a $1600 watch because the minute markers are not printed evenly on the dial. Warts and all. Warts and all. I love the watch though.
Some serious depth there :thumbup:

There are disappointing deficiencies in so many bracelets including Seiko and I agree that when a few small brands can do it so well and cost effectively it is hard to understand why others can't.

Great natos and strap options can go a long way to help absolve those sins. I even prefer a nato on most divers now, even if the bracelet is decent.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

I can't agree about Seiko bracelets being poor, my Seiko "Monster" bracelet is one of the most comfortable I have worn, and I love it The safety buckle over the clasp feels solid and gives a definite "Clunk" like you expect from a decent car door closing.

I love everything about my "Monster"
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side