Final piece of the Jigsaw.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Final piece of the Jigsaw.

Post by kiter65 »

I don’t understand the comparison with houses and cars :? But isn’t that what most people do, pass their driving test buy a small car then work their way up to a bigger car, same with houses buy a little two up two down then work their way up the property ladder?
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

kiter65 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:03 pm I don’t understand the comparison with houses and cars :? But isn’t that what most people do, pass their driving test buy a small car then work their way up to a bigger car, same with houses buy a little two up two down then work their way up the property ladder?
But I wouldn’t walk into an Audi dealership to enquire about going on the wait list for the new RS GT ETron and expect to be told that until id bought an A4 from them I’m not allowed to put my name down for one.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:11 pm
kiter65 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:03 pm I don’t understand the comparison with houses and cars :? But isn’t that what most people do, pass their driving test buy a small car then work their way up to a bigger car, same with houses buy a little two up two down then work their way up the property ladder?
But I wouldn’t walk into an Audi dealership to enquire about going on the wait list for the new RS GT ETron and expect to be told that until id bought an A4 from them I’m not allowed to put my name down for one.
But it is that way for the higher tier Porsches, I’ve heard. Ferrari too. Porsche probably being the closer comparison to Rolex than Audi anyway. Don’t expect to be able to easily buy the new 911 GT3 unless you’ve bought a Porsche previously.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

I’m still struggling to see the comparison and probably missing the point but if I was able to buy a RS GT could I walk out of the dealership and sell it for twice as much as I have just paid for it? I have no idea about the new car market :?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

magicman wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:57 pm I can't see why it can't be just supply and demand, but it is what it is
One could argue that this is exactly what supply and demand is! Obviously, demand far exceeds supply, and Rolex simply chooses to NOT increase supply. Whether that’s for financial reasons or production/logistical reasons is beyond my scope of expertise. For me, the cost of a Rolex would compel me to look at other luxury brands. If the insane prices and waitlists compel more and more people to do the same, thus relieving demand for Rolex sport models, one might see the prices start to come down, exactly as Mr. Smith suggests with his law off supply and demand. Capitalism at work!…..for good or bad, depending on ones viewpoint.
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

kiter65 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:30 pm I’m still struggling to see the comparison and probably missing the point but if I was able to buy a RS GT could I walk out of the dealership and sell it for twice as much as I have just paid for it? I have no idea about the new car market :?
I was in my Audi dealership last week taking our lasses car in for service. Apparently, there have only been 175 of them allocated to the UK market for this year and they are all spoken for - the dealers aren’t even getting any for test drives etc… They did let me put my name down on a wait list for next year though. Now, what I can’t honestly answer is whether I was able to put my name down as I have a fairly healthy spend history with that particular dealer or whether anyone can walk in and stick their name on the list.I didn’t ask so, for all I know, I could be using an example that makes me look an idiot as the business model is the same as Rolex AD’s :lol: :lol:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

ajax87 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:19 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:11 pm
But it is that way for the higher tier Porsches, I’ve heard. Ferrari too. Porsche probably being the closer comparison to Rolex than Audi anyway. Don’t expect to be able to easily buy the new 911 GT3 unless you’ve bought a Porsche previously.
We all see things different. I think that Rolex and Audi are both ‘mid tier’. At retail a Rolex sub is 4 grand cheaper than a Glashutte SeaQ so I’d class Porsche, Ferrari etc.. in the same class as companies like GO - a little higher up the chain to Rolex/Audi.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Using the car analogy, I remember 20+ years ago when the new Honda Odyssey mini van came out they were a hot commodity. Demand was so high that dealerships were asking, and getting full MSRP. Some dealerships were charging MORE than MSRP….because they could. Again, that’s supply and demand. Now I was annoyed at having to pay full MSRP and was ready to walk because there were other vehicles at much cheaper prices that I would have been equally happy to own. The wife at the time, however, was insistent on the Honda. What’s that they say. Happy wife, happy life? We got the Honda. Even at full MSRP, it was a reasonable price for the quality of the vehicle. No way would I have payed over MSRP, even risking the wrath of my ex to stand my ground.

Bringing things back around to watches, this is supply and demand at play. Every buyer has to weigh their opportunity costs and shop accordingly. I don’t begrudge an AD sticking requirements upon the purchase of an in demand Rolex (that’s capitalism), and nor to I begrudge anyone who is willing to play that game with an AD. We all want what what want to differing degrees and have different thresholds for determining what we do.
Drew
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:28 pm
kiter65 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:30 pm I’m still struggling to see the comparison and probably missing the point but if I was able to buy a RS GT could I walk out of the dealership and sell it for twice as much as I have just paid for it? I have no idea about the new car market :?
I was in my Audi dealership last week taking our lasses car in for service. Apparently, there have only been 175 of them allocated to the UK market for this year and they are all spoken for - the dealers aren’t even getting any for test drives etc… They did let me put my name down on a wait list for next year though. Now, what I can’t honestly answer is whether I was able to put my name down as I have a fairly healthy spend history with that particular dealer or whether anyone can walk in and stick their name on the list.I didn’t ask so, for all I know, I could be using an example that makes me look an idiot as the business model is the same as Rolex AD’s :lol: :lol:
You’re probably their main man mate :lol:
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Just to clarify about my post earlier, I don’t like the Rolex game and the over inflated prices on the pre owned market, I said go along with it because I look at things in life as ‘it is what it is’ and I TRY not to waste energy on things I know I can’t change, I would love to be able to pop down to M&W and buy a sub but it isn’t going to happen so if you want one play the game and try to enjoy it....if that makes any sense :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

kiter65 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:20 pm Just to clarify about my post earlier, I don’t like the Rolex game and the over inflated prices on the pre owned market, I said go along with it because I look at things in life as ‘it is what it is’ and I TRY not to waste energy on things I know I can’t change, I would love to be able to pop down to M&W and buy a sub but it isn’t going to happen so if you want one play the game and try to enjoy it....if that makes any sense :D
Well said Richard!

The only point I take issue with is the view that pre owned prices are over inflated. Very, very reasonable in my view. Probably about 15% higher by the end of 2021. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Sorry Neil, I think you’ve got your sums wrong :lol: :D
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

as Mr. Smith suggests with his law off supply and demand. Capitalism at work!…..for good or bad, depending on ones viewpoint.
If the law of supply and demand was to be perfectly applied - that is to the new market as well as S/H - then why Rolex don't just hike their prices and capitalise on the fact that people are willing to pay over the odds for their products? That would be capitalism, what they are doing seems more like re-distributing wealth by allowing others to profit from their marketing strategy.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Well they are a registered charity I’m lead to believe :D
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I find that those who own a Rolex love their watch and those who don’t poke criticism at the cost and availability.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’