Final piece of the Jigsaw.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Final piece of the Jigsaw.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No criticism of the watches whatsoever. Record has it that they are excellent quality, and they are clearly extremely desirable.

I do wonder whether the desirability is in some ways enhanced by the general lack of availability. And I don’t admire the way in which some ADs clearly go about their business. My own view, admittedly as a non-Rolex owner.

However, just in case anyone thought otherwise, I do think that anyone who is prepared to go through the hoops deserves an excellent outcome. Steve, whatever you get, I hope you are absolutely thrilled with it.

The OP you are looking at is a stunning watch, and if the sub is your grail, go for it. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

The Rolex buying experience seems to be a hit or miss dependant on the AD, or maybe it's more down to the manager of the AD.

I met a smug clown in what I'll call shop A. On enquiry for an Explorer he spoke to me like I was a child and explained that I would need to buy X, y, and z from him first.

I bought my wife a Tudor from shop B and the Rolex clown in there wouldn't entertain the idea of putting me on a list. Apparently he didn't have a list but then he told me he'd call me if someone on his (non existent?) list didn't want. Ironically, I bought the Tudor there instead of shop A because I'm too stubborn to get involved in games.

I was randomly passing shop A a couple of months later and I had a look at a rather nice DJ. It was tempting but I passed and the lady serving me was more than happy to take my name for the Explorer. She'd advised I was on a list of one and they tended to get one in every 2-3 months.

The above was all in covid times before the first lockdown and a couple of months later the manager from called offering the watch. The well known caveat being I had to pay for it up front and collect when the shop was open again. Had a good chat with him and he was fairly new to the shop and he wasn't very happy about my first experience there. He didn't like those sales tactics and said he'd put a stop to them when he took over the store. He really wanted to know who I had spoke with that day but I wouldn't give the guys name up as I'm not about that. You could be cynical and think he was telling me what I wanted to hear but given how pleasant my last visit had been I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I do wonder whether the desirability is in some ways enhanced by the general lack of availability.
While Rolex have always been desirable, and it's admirable that they haven't (potentially) compromised quality by ramping up production, when did this clamour start? When I first started working (1979-1984) I walked past 'Prestons of Bolton' several times a day**. They were, and still are, a Rolex AD (although no longer in Bolton). My memory may be playing tricks, but I'm fairly sure that the Rolex display wasn't even in the main window at the time. I'll bet you could have walked in and bought any Rolex then!

If that reads as a criticism, it isn't.

**Built in 1913 the building had a 'timeball' on the top, released at 1pm.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:32 am No criticism of the watches whatsoever. Record has it that they are excellent quality, and they are clearly extremely desirable.

I do wonder whether the desirability is in some ways enhanced by the general lack of availability. And I don’t admire the way in which some ADs clearly go about their business. My own view, admittedly as a non-Rolex owner.

However, just in case anyone thought otherwise, I do think that anyone who is prepared to go through the hoops deserves an excellent outcome. Steve, whatever you get, I hope you are absolutely thrilled with it.

The OP you are looking at is a stunning watch, and if the sub is your grail, go for it. :thumbup:
Visited the AD today and as I was waiting for shops to open, I noticed an email, with a note about the OP41. So that's encouraging.
I showed it to the AD when I went in and we got talking, a small crowd formed and they seemed quite interested in my opinion on the latest situation, and watches in general.
Before I left they did say they would make futher inquiries and put some notes on my file that I was a bloody nice bloke ! Or something like that, I did feel that conversation may Have helped, albeit a minimal amount.
All I have to do now is be patient. Love what I've got, and not splurge the money on anything in the meantime.

I asked them to show me alternative, No date watches, with Lume, on a bracelet while I was there, but they didn't have anything in stock.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Hello there

I was done and dusted ! but no, I need a Rolex in my life.
Impatient, I can't wait, I need an alternative, an Omega with no date, but I don't like the vintage style on the Bond version and the ceramic versions are too expensive, then I saw the Titanium bezeled Nekton version, and they have one in stock at somewhere close to where I'm working.
Now to explain to the wife, why I have a shiny new watch on my wrist tonight.
PXL_20210713_194801174~2.jpg
It's a funny old game.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
JasperCat
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

magicman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:37 pm Hello there

I was done and dusted ! but no, I need a Rolex in my life.
Impatient, I can't wait, I need an alternative, an Omega with no date, but I don't like the vintage style on the Bond version and the ceramic versions are too expensive, then I saw the Titanium bezeled Nekton version, and they have one in stock at somewhere close to where I'm working.
Now to explain to the wife, why I have a shiny new watch on my wrist tonight.

PXL_20210713_194801174~2.jpg

It's a funny old game.

Regards Steve
Well, there’s a quick about turn, Steve! One of the nicest looking current sea masters in my opinion. If they had a date it would be just about perfect to me. But, if it had a date it wouldn’t be on your wrist :lol: Enjoy it, it’s a great looking watch :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Now there's a turn up for the books.

Top notch purchase Steve.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Wow, cracking impulse buy. Is a Rolex still on the radar?
Out of interest I was surprised that you thought the ceramic versions were too expensive, I’d have thought the Ti would have been more, I didn’t think my SMP was that pricey by Omega standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:10 pm Wow, cracking impulse buy. Is a Rolex still on the radar?
Out of interest I was surprised that you thought the ceramic versions were too expensive, I’d have thought the Ti would have been more, I didn’t think my SMP was that pricey by Omega standards

Yes, the a Rolex will be a future watch of mine for sure.
I meant the ceramic case versions, with no date, they were up around £7k.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

magicman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:18 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:10 pm Wow, cracking impulse buy. Is a Rolex still on the radar?

Yes, a Rolex will be a future watch of mine for sure.
I meant the ceramic case versions, with no date, they were up around £7k.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Conrtats on that superb purchase, Steve. About a month or so ago I put it up on the 'what watch are you dreaming of' thread. I'd come across it while having a detailed look on the Omega website. I love the raised titanium bezel and, as much as I like the idea of being able to view the movement through an exhibition caseback, the solid caseback on this with the engraving of the Nekton submersible over the ocean floor sandbars is just superb. Please put some photos of that up, as well as some more of the watch. This is a watch I would not tire of looking at.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Congratulations, Steve. That SMP is a very smart looking watch. Enjoy! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Congratulations Steve. I prefer the look of that to the standard Seamaster Models. :thumbup:

Yacht-Master vibes with the raised markings on a metal bezel.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

strapline wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:14 am Conrtats on that superb purchase, Steve. About a month or so ago I put it up on the 'what watch are you dreaming of' thread. I'd come across it while having a detailed look on the Omega website. I love the raised titanium bezel and, as much as I like the idea of being able to view the movement through an exhibition caseback, the solid caseback on this with the engraving of the Nekton submersible over the ocean floor sandbars is just superb. Please put some photos of that up, as well as some more of the watch. This is a watch I would not tire of looking at.

Des
PXL_20210716_062158605~2.jpg

PXL_20210716_062226704~2.jpg

I like an Exhibition back, initially on my watches, but I really only gaze at it for hours, for the first couple of days of ownership.
So it's not a deal breaker.
But if it's not Exhibition then I do prefer an engraved back over plain, and this one as you stated is very nice.
Also my wife the Vegan, was very impressed, I had took an active interest in conservation of the Oceans, so that smoothed over the purchase.
"Now where's my fishfinger sandwich, Woman !"
Lucky she still has a good sense of humour, she needs it to put up with me.

I find this is one of those watches, that's tough to photograph, I'm no Ferg. So mine probably don't do it justice, but in my eyes it edges the Black Bay 58 in the looks department and definitely the bracelet is a couple of notches above.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
JasperCat
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
Thanks for that, I think the caseback really is something. I like the muted palette of the dial on this, just black, white and a pop of red. The BB58 is really nice, but if I had to choose...

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?