Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Final piece of the Jigsaw.

Post by Richard D »

Well done.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Nice one Steve, looks great.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
rambothejambo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by rambothejambo »

Very, very nice, still waiting on a suitable BBR (smiley face) popping up for myself.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I love the look of these. Especially in blue. :thumbup:
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Really delighted for you Steve !
Congratulations mate.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Congrats, great acquisition and looks fantastic. I say go for the car next, you get all the fun of the save, reaearch, tracking one down and then the experience every time you drive it... then of course it will be time for the next watch 👍
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch, Steve.

Its great when the stars align and the perfect opportunity drops in your lap.

Congratulations.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Yes, back tracking, eating my words etc.etc.etc.

I love this watch, but I've still been obsessing after the Rolex Sub no date. I thought the BB58 would quash the feelings, but if anything it's made it worse.
After aquiring the car I required, I decided I would put my name down at my local AD, and maybe I would get the Sub around my 60th birthday. Currently 52 years young.
Unfortunately the process, is not that simple.
These rocking horse s#*t models require a bit more than just a long wait, you need to have made a Rolex purchase, from that AD to even get on the list.
Not sure if all Rolex ADs are the same ?
So I need to buy a Rolex !
A young man asked if I had considered the 41mm Oyster Perpetual.
I felt like a noob, I couldn't picture it, most of the other models I could, but why couldn't I place it.
When they showed me one, online, told me the price and said it would be available sooner, as it's not one of the ultra high demand models.
I was hooked.

It's not a diver, like all my current watches, but a simple, elegant, sports watch and a step up to the next level (IMO)

I feel, I've gone round in circles a lot, lost ground with poorly considered purchases, and arrived here about 5 years late.

So now I will just eagerly await the call, to say they've got one in to try.
The more I think about it, the more I can see myself, having this as a keeper and not pursuing the Sub, but then again, I've been here before.
It would probably mean, selling the Tudor, but I'd still have two highly capable CW divers.
Screenshot_20210625-130541.png
Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Sorry, Steve, but….basically getting bullied into buying something you don’t want in order to buy something you do is totally wrong and I’d have told him to sick it straight up his a***!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:34 pm Sorry, Steve, but….basically getting bullied into buying something you don’t want in order to buy something you do is totally wrong and I’d have told him to sick it straight up his a***!
And a bit further if it'll go! Makes me really glad I have no hankering for a sports SS Rolex. I find that kind of business behaviour despicable!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:46 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:34 pm Sorry, Steve, but….basically getting bullied into buying something you don’t want in order to buy something you do is totally wrong and I’d have told him to sick it straight up his a***!
And a bit further if it'll go! Makes me really glad I have no hankering for a sports SS Rolex. I find that kind of business behaviour despicable!
It was a very pleasant, young lady, who was my sales contact.
I don't suppose she makes the rules, so I don't think it would have been appropriate to chastise her.
I take your points, but I'd rather be on the ADs list, than pay a grey dealer a premium, or take a chance in the second hand market if I am to own a Rolex.

Maybe I should put a "Want to buy" in the other brands section.

Hardest part, will be not splurging the money in the meantime.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

magicman wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:07 pm I take your points, but I'd rather be on the ADs list, than pay a grey dealer a premium, or take a chance in the second hand market if I am to own a Rolex.
But aren’t you essentially paying a premium above RSP in the form of having to buy another Rolex first to get on the wait list for a Sub? I suppose you can always flip the first Rolex to recoup the money when you get the Sub. Or are you thinking the OP might take the place of a Sub?

As for the OP, it’s a beautiful watch. I’d be happy to own one, myself. It’s a bit of an homage to my C65 Trident Vintage, though. :lol:
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

I find the whole Rolex wait-thing really objectionable, and that's putting it mildly.

Can you imagine going to buy an Audi A5/6 and being told that you'll have to wait and, in the meantime, you can only have an A4. Come back and see us in a couple of years' time. What about if you were looking for a 3/4 bedroom detached house, for example, and the estate agent said you couldn't have one until you'd bought a two bedroom mid-terrace first.

Rolex make some nice watches for sure, but so do a lot of other people. I would not be prepared to jump through other people's hoops when it comes to spending my hard earned money...so I don't.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Hi Steve, I have a different take on the Rolex game, just play along, visit the AD’s, try on stuff, not just Rolex and enjoy the experience. I think the OP is a stunning watch, if you like it buy it and enjoy it while you wait for the Sub, chances are you’ll get your money back when the Sub arrives but I bet you’ll keep both :D but don’t forget to put your name down for something else when you buy the Sub...GMT??? :lol:
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:20 pm
magicman wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:07 pm I take your points, but I'd rather be on the ADs list, than pay a grey dealer a premium, or take a chance in the second hand market if I am to own a Rolex.
But aren’t you essentially paying a premium above RSP in the form of having to buy another Rolex first to get on the wait list for a Sub? I suppose you can always flip the first Rolex to recoup the money when you get the Sub. Or are you thinking the OP might take the place of a Sub?

As for the OP, it’s a beautiful watch. I’d be happy to own one, myself. It’s a bit of an homage to my C65 Trident Vintage, though. :lol:
Regarding the OP yes I think it could quench my thirst for the Sub. And if the Sub were to come up and I still desired it, then depending on my ever changing financial circumstances, I could, if needed sell the OP to part fund the purchase.

I agree with the comments, that the whole situation is a joke, regarding waiting lists etc, I can't see why it can't be just supply and demand, but it is what it is, and I may never be in the position again, to even contemplate it.
I may also cool my interest, as time goes by, as I'm notoriously fickle.
But right here, right now, if they rang to say there is one in stock, I'd go and buy it.

Or if someone on the forum is bored of theirs, I'll be waiting impatiently.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39