A place to discuss other watch-brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Final piece of the Jigsaw.

Post by nbg »

magicman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:37 pm Hello there

I was done and dusted ! but no, I need a Rolex in my life.
Impatient, I can't wait, I need an alternative, an Omega with no date, but I don't like the vintage style on the Bond version and the ceramic versions are too expensive, then I saw the Titanium bezeled Nekton version, and they have one in stock at somewhere close to where I'm working.
Now to explain to the wife, why I have a shiny new watch on my wrist tonight.

PXL_20210713_194801174~2.jpg

It's a funny old game.

Regards Steve
I tried one on yesterday. Lovely watch - I was particularly impressed with the dial. A wave dial at its best. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

^^^Hi Neil

What are your brief views on the overall watch ? Are you considering buying ?

As you may know, I got mine while being on the waiting list for the Rolex OP 41.
I've not seen/handled many Rolex, I wonder when/if the OP becomes available, will it be a significant enough step up in quality, to warrant trading in the Omega ?

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

Personally I would keep the Omega. Rolex are too recognised by the criminal element. To me I want to wear a watch and not worry about getting smashed over the head for it. The Omega is a lovely watch as well. There are better brands than Rolex, £7k would buy something really special Zenith, Breguet, A Lange and Blancpain to name a few.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

+1

I saw that Omega on your wrist the other week, Steve. Personally I wouldn’t swap it for a Rolex OP, but then I’m not you. good luck with the decision, but you know that either way you will have a super watch.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

What gives you the impression that an OP would be a step up from the Omega Steve? Genuine question.

I would say the Omega is much more interesting to look at, but then it's a completely different category of watch.

Both have accurate, reliable movements. Both look really good, superbly made and from well respected brands. Can't go wrong with either, but for me, it would just boil down to the preferred aesthetic.
Ryan
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I think, I'm going to try and avoid the need to make the choice, by definitely keeping the Omega.
Then hopefully having cleared the backlog at work, have the funds free to buy the Rolex, should it become available.

That way I have 2 different genres of watch, from each brand.

That's the current plan anyway.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

magicman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:26 am ^^^Hi Neil

What are your brief views on the overall watch ? Are you considering buying ?

As you may know, I got mine while being on the waiting list for the Rolex OP 41.
I've not seen/handled many Rolex, I wonder when/if the OP becomes available, will it be a significant enough step up in quality, to warrant trading in the Omega ?

Regards Steve
Steve it is my favourite of the Seamaster dive range - due to the bezel, dial and the point that it doesn’t have a date. I have handled others in the range but am not keen on the ceramic bezels or how loud some of the dials look.

Of course like everything it comes down to personal choice, particularly when making comparisons between very well made watches from very good brands. I have always taken the view that to give a valid comparison between watches the person giving the view should at least have tried on the watches in question. Otherwise they are in danger of giving a view coloured just a teeny weeny bit by prejudices about a particular brand. :)

I was prompted to try it on as I had seen one for sale at a good price on another forum. I didn’t buy, as I don’t like to buy watches that I haven’t tried on. If (when) the new owner flips it, I may go for it and buy the OEM rubber strap, as for me it felt too heavy on the bracelet. Again just personal choice. Out of interest what goes it weigh on the bracelet?

The correct answer to the question you asked, is the one you have arrived at above - keep the SM when you get an OP. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Hi Neil

Mine weighs 186 Grams with a couple of links removed.

Thanks for the info, you've provided too.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Ryan, I just get the impression from the Rolex owners I know, that I wouldn't be disappointed if I join them in ownership.
Not that they've dissed the Omega.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I've no doubt you wouldn't be disappointed, although I struggle to see it as an upgrade, sidewards step perhaps?

I have no knowledge of Rolex calibres, but the one inside your Omega definitely isn't to be sniffed at and the rest of the package is superb!

Your plan to eventually pair the Rolex with the SMP sounds like the perfect solution. Go for it :thumbup:
Ryan