Tribus Watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Tribus Watches

Post by JAFO »

exHowfener wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 pm
I wonder if they are regretting terminating the Liverpool tie in?
Not sure that they will be, sponsorship at this level is really just buying advertising, usually with a few perks (match day tickets, meet players etc.) thrown in. I guess the LFC watches just arrived too late to the market and without people travelling to the games, little opportunity for sales arising from that.
Yes, I get it, but the fans will return, and Tribus won't now have that market, and it will also have cost them a lot in both sponsorship costs, production and development costs for the exercise, and then the cost of writing off/scrapping the watches - as well as vastly irritating buyers who have paid full price for buying into the Liverpool watches.
biglove
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by biglove »

Great looking GMT watches but at that price? I think not.

Their asking price made me laugh aloud. People actually paid that price? Jeebus.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance or conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

GMT Expensive? Agreed. Interesting and innovative, but overall too dark for me. Looking over the collection, I’m not a huge fan of their colour schemes.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:50 pm
..... and the chances of winning the Premier League again in the near future unlikely, I bought it. :lol:
I don't know. Until Liverpool went in their losing run they were clear at the top. Man city started badly. To hear the commentators you would think man city walked away with the title, but it wasn't like that at all. Liverpool could easily win it next year.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

JAFO wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:28 am
what-time-is-it wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:50 pm
..... and the chances of winning the Premier League again in the near future unlikely, I bought it. :lol:
I don't know. Until Liverpool went in their losing run they were clear at the top. Man city started badly. To hear the commentators you would think man city walked away with the title, but it wasn't like that at all. Liverpool could easily win it next year.
Lets not forget that the downhill spiral started after the Everton game when VVD was injured.
Then it just seemed like one injury after another.
If the players stay fit then there's no reason why they can't win the PL again.
(...ever the optimist)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Arrived this morning, initial impressions are from a quality point of view it's on a par with malvern quartz watches that I've owned. :thumbup:
Not sure whether it's for me, due to it's small size and subsequent low weight.

Other observations - it has a date wheel, but no date which I think would annoy me. :thumbdown:
The red, looks a bit pink to me. :problem:

Is that normal to have a non-date watch, but have the first click to be an obvious date function - and once you set the time, their is a date like click at approx 3am. Probably not noticeable if you are not an enthusiast.

IMG_20210515_173550824.jpg
IMG_20210515_173536119.jpg
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^
It looks much less red than the web site pictures. I didn't fancy the red anyway, and ordered cream. Pictures soon hopefully. I hadn't realised there was no date. I'm not fussed either way.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

The phantom date is quite common in cheaper watches - both quartz and mechanical. It's an attention to detail that sets some makers above others - the no date mk1 Halios Seaforth for eg.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Strap was also different to the website, nothing major just white and not red stitching as shown.

Chris
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

StrapMeister wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:52 pm Lets not forget that the downhill spiral started after the Everton game when VVD was injured.
Then it just seemed like one injury after another.
If the players stay fit then there's no reason why they can't win the PL again.
(...ever the optimist)
The injury to Van Dijk obviously didn't help but that didn't cause any kind of downhill spiral. They were unbeaten in the next 11 league games after the derby, including wins against Leicester & Spurs, and 4-0 and 7-0 batterings of Wolves and Palace respectively. Two months without VVD and they were 4 points clear at the top at Christmas.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The description in the web site listing is red stitching. I thought the red was Liverpool shirt red, so a different red - especially not even red - is pretty poor. Is the box a different red, more like the red you expected?
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

JAFO wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:43 pm Is the box a different red, more like the red you expected?
The box seems to be a stronger and better red to me.
I'll take a pic in daylight tomorrow.

It's very possible that the dial colour is using the same colour code from the club badge.

Chris
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Tribus LFC watch box, with the obligatory dinged corner.
tribus.png

Chris
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Maybe because they stopped the Liverpool deal, they used up their stock of red straps, so they have used the next best. If the Tribus sales model is similar to the CW model, then 30% of retail will be about the same as the manufacturing cost. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't offer you another discount to keep the watch, or send you another strap as well, so it really depends whether you like it it not. There's no phone number to contact them, but they respond quickly to emails.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Judging by what I have read and seen thus far (dial colour, different strap) on the LFC watch, I certainly won't being buying one of these anytime soon, even at 70% off!
As far as their other offerings are concerned, I only really like the TRI-01 Small Second COSC (Steel/Cream), BUT...
IMO, for a startup Company * they are a little expensive.
(* I think they are playing the Christopher Ward reputation card here).
I'm not completely writing them off, the TRI-01 (mentioned above) is after all COSC spec, but I would need to see the quality and finish in person in order to justify a purchase.