Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Tribus Watches

Post by Molan »

audio.bill wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:09 pm
Molan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:35 pm
audio.bill wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 pm Anyone have any coupon codes for Tribus that would work on the TRI-01? Only one I could find was RED25 which is specifically for the TRI-07 LFC Sports Chronograph Champions Edition. TIA for sharing.
I ordered a TR01 and it went through at £970 as a net price with 10% discount applied.

Checking the RRP that’s definitely an additional discount that was applied at checkout without any additional code or rewards being used on my side.

You could certainly sign up for the rewards programme and put a fake birthday down for a quick bonus discount.

Personally I decided I didn’t want a Tribus at any price though and cancelled the order.

I just couldn’t handle the constant ramming of Jamie Carragher and his chums at me whenever they had the opportunity.

This aligned with the atrocious, and totally schizophrenic, marketing simply makes them a brand I’d be very uncomfortable to be associated with.

This week’s latest subscriber email is a perfect example.

It says there’s a blog - there isn’t.

There’s a link that seems to lead to an article looking into the past of Liverpool FC - it doesn’t.

Having clicked the ‘looking back’ link you’re taking to a page where they say they don’t stand still and are always ‘looking forward’.

Underneath this is a page dedicated to looking into the past 🤦‍♂️

I genuinely can’t fathom how any brand would also use a, wildly unpopular, footballer who’s been caught on video spitting aggressively at a 14 year old girl as any kind of positive brand ambassador!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g5ctw

Simply shockingly poor PR.

Seems a shame their public face is such a godawful mess. I was surprised they were immediately discounting stock as soon as it was available but, having seen some of the marketing maybe it was always going to happen.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I placed a TRI-01 in my cart but it showed the full price with no discount. I also inquired about any upcoming sales on the TRI-01 and was politely told that there was none. Can't justify the full price on these models, perhaps if there was a sale similar to what CW regularly offers I'd consider a purchase.
My guess is that the extra discount they gave me was a mistake in the site programming. It's the kind of thing CW used to do and got roasted for :yawn:
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Molan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 pm ...got roasted for :yawn:
A bit like quoting an entire conversation to make a one-line point! :yawn:

:lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

This aligned with the atrocious, and totally schizophrenic, marketing simply makes them a brand I’d be very uncomfortable to be associated with.

There’s a link that seems to lead to an article looking into the past of Liverpool FC - it doesn’t.

Having clicked the ‘looking back’ link you’re taking to a page where they say they don’t stand still and are always ‘looking forward’.

Strongly put - lol! But the above is an example of why I stopped subscribing to their emails as well. Just too much drivel wasting my time. I didn't know they were working with Carragher. Not a wise choice for non-Liverpool fans. But that's a risk with many celebs, they can be divisive.
'Tis me
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

Caller wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Strongly put - lol! But the above is an example of why I stopped subscribing to their emails as well. Just too much drivel wasting my time. I didn't know they were working with Carragher. Not a wise choice for non-Liverpool fans. But that's a risk with many celebs, they can be divisive.
Usually the issue with celebrity ambassadors is that they are signed up and ‘then’ do something embarrassing.

In this case Tribus have chosen someone who is already known, and openly caught on video, spitting in a young girl’s face.

It’s a serious full on big swilling mouthful of gob as well!
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Molan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:33 pm Usually the issue with celebrity ambassadors is that they are signed up and ‘then’ do something embarrassing.

In this case Tribus have chosen someone who is already known, and openly caught on video, spitting in a young girl’s face.

I am surprised that you got so far as placing an item in your basket and 'cancelling' your order if you hate Tribus that much and all that you associate with them.

Carragher may have a bad image to many based upon a single incident for which he apologised and was suspended from his job where he was goaded by an idiot who his own daughter even told to stop. Unfortunately news of his charity work does not gain as much publicity.

Hopefully you will find a watch brand that matches your values but you may have to also stay clear of Rolex with their connection to Tiger Woods. At least CW don't have major paid celebrity ambassadors.
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

A1soknownas wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:47 am
Molan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:33 pm Usually the issue with celebrity ambassadors is that they are signed up and ‘then’ do something embarrassing.

I am surprised that you got so far as placing an item in your basket and 'cancelling' your order if you hate Tribus that much and all that you associate with them.

Carragher may have a bad image to many based upon a single incident for which he apologised and was suspended from his job where he was goaded by an idiot who his own daughter even told to stop. Unfortunately news of his charity work does not gain as much publicity.

Hopefully you will find a watch brand that matches your values but you may have to also stay clear of Rolex with their connection to Tiger Woods. At least CW don't have major paid celebrity ambassadors.
I don’t particularly hate Tribus watches or any of the people that work there. I simply find their attempts at marketing laughable and incredibly unprofessional.

They’ve nicked other people’s work without giving credit, produced highly schizophrenic messages and generally confused the hell out of people.

They proudly proclaimed they would not adopt a policy of discounting and would only ever offer loyalty rewards yet here they are knocking 25% off one line more or less as soon as it becomes available.

Their grasp of basic paid for advertising is also awful. They are spending money targeting people with no interest in Liverpool FC with ads featuring nothing but a discount on a Liverpool branded product. Not only that but they are excessively retargeting those same people over and over again (I was fed the same ad 3 times within an hour of getting out of bed this morning!)

This is both lazy and amateurish and, quite literally, throwing good money after bad. It’s incredibly basic stuff to target efficiently and cap frequency of ads so you’re not hitting the same people excessively.

Having worked in the business for over 40 years I also have a decent grasp of publicity, sponsorship and the use of brand ambassadors.

One of the golden rules is that you never, ever, choose a new brand representative that has a history of being in the public eye for offensive reasons. Of course it’s not uncommon for a brand to pick a representative who subsequently does something stupid but simply don’t pick someone who spat in someone else’s face, on camera, just a few years ago.

Let’s face it there are any number of amazingly popular Liverpool players who have always kept their dignity and are genuinely respected by fans of other clubs and/or people who aren’t even that interested in football.

Jamie Carragher is not one of those people. It’s just, again, unprofessional and myopic.

I really, really, wanted to like Tribus and bought one of their watches out of respect for Chris and all he did for CW. Unfortunately my opinion of the brand plummeted, especially after they used photography from another ad campaign and, foolishly, hashtagged themselves to a white supremacist group!

Just not a brand I’d feel comfortable being associated with :(
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Liverpool FC watches are now half price. I can only think of Danbury Mint tribute watches when I see them: £49 down payment, 6 instalments of £99. Advertised in newspapers next to comfy slippers and elasticated slacks 😜
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Taking CW's lead in stock selling off then....
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

That's pretty slipshod on the web site. You can only find the original Liverpool watches by picking LFC as a partnership. Then the discount code is shown in the text, not seemingly elsewhere. Then 3 watches not yet available are described as Brentford in the text.

Anyway, I am tempted by the auto Liverpool watches at a decent discount.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Waiting for them to appear on TK Maxx. :lol:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

what-time-is-it wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:44 pm Waiting for them to appear on TK Maxx. :lol:
Who Liverpool? They’re not quite good enough :silent:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

audio.bill wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:08 pm I wasn't initially very intrigued by their offerings, but this video review of the TRI-01 has piqued my interest:

(Note: There does seem to be a discrepancy in the pricing stated in the review and what's on the Tribus site. Interesting to see how they're handling taxes and duty: IMPORT DUTY/TAX - We don't think you should have to deal with any unexpected charges, so to keep things transparent all sales taxes are included in your total at checkout. What you see is what you pay – leave any import fees to us. All you need to do with your order is sign for it when it arrives at your door.)
I know this is a couple of weeks old, but I think the Tribus website has changed.
Anyway, I think the point is that the watches are being made and shipped from Switzerland, and are basically priced without taxes. So unlike CW watches, they aren't in the UK to start with. They must know/ identify where you are, and adjust the taxes accordingly.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47 pm Liverpool FC watches are now half price. I can only think of Danbury Mint tribute watches when I see them: £49 down payment, 6 instalments of £99. Advertised in newspapers next to comfy slippers and elasticated slacks 😜
Not the payment bit, but that's more or less how CW advertised when they started out way-back-when I think. I remember one of the founders saying they weren't happy with the placement of their newspaper ad next to comfy slippers!
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

^^^ it's not a particularly sophisticated approach to advertising! I think the thing with Tribus LFC watches is the design and colouring looks a a bit 'Danbury'
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I've said it before but - I think that they were a bit late in bringing out their LFC range, particularly with the 'champions' link. Fair enough, ambition is good and they could hardly have predicted the impact of the global pandemic. What is less palatable is the sneering on their facebook page about not discounting like CW do, followed quite quickly by ... discounting.
Ah well, isn't hindsight wonderful :lol:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left