Tribus Watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Tribus Watches

Post by JAFO »

I'll compare the Tribus Liverpool with a couple of swiss made Rotary watches

This one is discontinued. The original list was around £500, but it used to be available in this colour or with black dial, for under £100 on ebay. I can't see the black one now. I actually have both, and they are lovely swiss-made chronographs for £100. The black one in particular is reminiscent of a speedy. This listing is actually in Argos, I see.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotary-Swiss ... SwqvFgJ9-z

Now, Rotary did a Chelsea FC version of the same watch, which you could get on ebay for a bit more, but under £200. I can see a couple that sold just before Christmas for under £200. The ones online now are a lot more. Anyway, this sort of thing is why I wouldn't want to pay £500 for a quartz chrono.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWISS-MADE-R ... SwJN1ezUq1
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

If anyone does want to pay (just under) £500 for a quartz chrone, the new CW ones look a lot better - but then I'm not a football fan.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I'm curious why there isn't a single owner wrist shot on Google images, Instagram or elsewhere. Do the watches actually exist?
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

jtc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 pm I'm curious why there isn't a single owner wrist shot on Google images, Instagram or elsewhere. Do the watches actually exist?
I have a TRIBUS watch and two on order.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

JAFO wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:50 pm Now, Rotary did a Chelsea FC version of the same watch, which you could get on ebay for a bit more, but under £200. I can see a couple that sold just before Christmas for under £200. The ones online now are a lot more. Anyway, this sort of thing is why I wouldn't want to pay £500 for a quartz chrono.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWISS-MADE-R ... SwJN1ezUq1
Being a Chelsea fan I saw that watch in their store at Kingston, I think it was on sale for about 145 pounds. I quite liked it, but not enough to buy it. The only CFC watches now are limited edition Hublots, at circa 11k. Might explain why folk are spending so much on the quartz rotary.
'Tis me
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting. The name "TRIBUS". This association thing is really all a bit tribal as far as I'm concerned. I support a football club (always have) but would never consider a watch with their name on it. OK, they're not very good, but that's beside the point.

I'm proud to be an alumnus of my Alma Mater, but a Bremont watch with the Varsity crest on the dial? I think not.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

TRIBUS would have done their homework and have chosen their partners very carefully. I’ve no doubt that the collaboration with Liverpool Football Club will be successful if not already, their global fan base is huge. It’s a recipe for success.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I get the impression that the LFC tie-in is more about the Ward family being fans. I'm not saying that it isn't a commercial decision but from my own (albeit limited) experience, companies sponsor football clubs because 1) they are local and, 2) someone senior enough to make a financial decision is a supporter of the club and gets something out of the association. It's not difficult to get a sponsorship deal with a football club, most businesses like being given money.
I often wonder just how much value there really is: you probably know a Manchester United supporter - do they drive a Chevrolet? I'd expect the answer to be "no".
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

That would make sense.

It's probably why they bought out a less expensive quartz version as well. £1000 plus for a watch is very much a considered purchase nowadays, and you tend to be a bit of a watch aficionado to even start considering a watch for that sort of money. The automatic movement doesn't have that much significance to many.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:42 pm I get the impression that the LFC tie-in is more about the Ward family being fans. I'm not saying that it isn't a commercial decision but from my own (albeit limited) experience, companies sponsor football clubs because 1) they are local and, 2) someone senior enough to make a financial decision is a supporter of the club and gets something out of the association.
Local? The premier League is a Worldwide entity. Sponsors, whether it be shirts, watches, cars, beer, food, training kit, youth teams, whatever, are very frequently major international companies. Just look at the advertising that goes on during games around the pitch and how much isn't in English, Chelsea are sponsored by a major tyre company, not so much for the UK market, but because of their presence in Asia. Yet, the majority of their sponsors are from the US.

Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the World, many such clubs have regional sponsors, just for a specific geographical location. Here's a full list of Liverpools current sponsors:

https://sportskhabri.com/liverpool-sponsors-2020-2021/

I'm guessing Tribus is the only local company there. They now have access to a massive Worldwide audience.

On saying that, most clubs watch offerings are poor. I would say the Tribus ones are good. Chelsea's one are pretty tasteful, especially coming from Hublot, but even they haven't tried to produce a watch for the masses. In my opinion, it's been an ignored area of club sponsorship and the sales pitch has been very limited. It will be interesting to see how Tribus do. If successful, they have a great sales pitch to other clubs.
'Tis me
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Caller wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:48 pm
exHowfener wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:42 pm I get the impression that the LFC tie-in is more about the Ward family being fans. I'm not saying that it isn't a commercial decision but from my own (albeit limited) experience, companies sponsor football clubs because 1) they are local and, 2) someone senior enough to make a financial decision is a supporter of the club and gets something out of the association.
Local? The premier League is a Worldwide entity. Sponsors, whether it be shirts, watches, cars, beer, food, training kit, youth teams, whatever, are very frequently major international companies. Just look at the advertising that goes on during games around the pitch and how much isn't in English, Chelsea are sponsored by a major tyre company, not so much for the UK market, but because of their presence in Asia. Yet, the majority of their sponsors are from the US.

Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the World, many such clubs have regional sponsors, just for a specific geographical location. Here's a full list of Liverpools current sponsors:

https://sportskhabri.com/liverpool-sponsors-2020-2021/

I'm guessing Tribus is the only local company there. They now have access to a massive Worldwide audience.

On saying that, most clubs watch offerings are poor. I would say the Tribus ones are good. Chelsea's one are pretty tasteful, especially coming from Hublot, but even they haven't tried to produce a watch for the masses. In my opinion, it's been an ignored area of club sponsorship and the sales pitch has been very limited. It will be interesting to see how Tribus do. If successful, they have a great sales pitch to other clubs.
Absolutely, the Liverpool reach is huge and that can be see by the following they have on social media. TRIBUS also enjoys a sponsorship deal with Brentford FC, https://sportskhabri.com/brentford-foot ... -sponsors/. It’s only a matter of time before Brentford will be joining the top flight. All of this achieved in just a few years, I’m thinking not bad for a new British watch brand.
Richard

exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Well that certainly got a different reaction to what was intended!

I was merely linking the obvious support that the Ward family have for Liverpool F.C. with their sponsorship. After all, they aren't going for Real Madrid of Manchester United are they? (Happy to be corrected 'Richard D' if you know more). Surely companies only sponsor sports teams or events that they feel some affiliation to? Or is it just a cynical/commercial marketing exercise?

I could well be wrong,very wrong. Which is why I referred to my "limited experience" as what I've posted reflects personal experience of actually working for companies that sponsor a football club and knowing their reasons for doing so.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

exHowfener wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:19 am Well that certainly got a different reaction to what was intended!

I was merely linking the obvious support that the Ward family have for Liverpool F.C. with their sponsorship. After all, they aren't going for Real Madrid of Manchester United are they? (Happy to be corrected 'Richard D' if you know more). Surely companies only sponsor sports teams or events that they feel some affiliation to? Or is it just a cynical/commercial marketing exercise?

I could well be wrong,very wrong. Which is why I referred to my "limited experience" as what I've posted reflects personal experience of actually working for companies that sponsor a football club and knowing their reasons for doing so.
Chris and his sons make no secret of their ardent support for Liverpool and in all probability it played a part in securing the sponsorship deal. However, no deal would have just been handed to them on a plate. As for what TRIBUS has planned for the future, like everyone else I can only guess.
Richard

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Currently watching Sunday Brunch on Ch4. I'm wondering if Simon Rimmer, usually seen wearing a Planet Ocean, is wearing (as a huge fan of the team) a Liverpool Tribus on leather today?

https://tribus-watches.com/collections/ ... ream-camel

Think it definitely is one of these...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ yes he is and as far as I know he is not a brand ambassador.
Richard