A place to discuss other watch-brands
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Tribus Watches

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 pm
Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.
I wonder how this will play out. All 6 English clubs have withdrawn with their reputations damaged. However, have they done enough to stop a mass exodus of sponsors and fans. I’m also pondering whether sponsors like Tribus would have bailed out despite LFC’s withdrawal from the ESL on the basis that LFC have shown their true intent. Either way, the football clubs are damaged by this and associated brands will really need to think through the impact of their associations
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

For Tribus the takeaway is maybe don't mix business with pleasure?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'm not a football fan, but surely LFC/MUFC showed their hand last October with "Project big picture"? Obviously I have no idea what the sponsorship deal was costing Tribus, but on the grand scheme of things I doubt that losing it will be a big loss - financially at least to LFC, though "losing a sponsor" never sounds good.

I can't help but wonder if Tribus have had second thoughts about the value of the sponsorship deal, with those LFC watches being sold at a 50% (!) discount a short time after launch. Was the ESL proposal a reason or an excuse? Or just a good business opportunity to gain some free publicity?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

An article on WacthPro this morning;- https://www.watchpro.com/tribus-pulled- ... er-league/

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TSWC! :yawn:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I think that's crazy by Tribus. It was obvious the ESL was dead in the water almost from the minute it was announced. They only had to wait a few hours and then just move on. I suspect the American owners of Liverpool, Arsenal and United (what is it about red shirts? ), will be keeping a very low profile for the foreseeable future, if not move on all together, which for United and Arsenal fans has been a long term goal in any case.

I have wondered why Tribus didn't stick their watches in Liverpool stores Worldwide to sell? One week ago today I put a peg on my nose and ventured into Liverpools store in Siam Square in Bangkok. Jeez, they do sell some tacky rubbish, including two cheap as chips plastic looking warches with no obvious connection to the club.

Anyway, they acted very hastily, presumably with the approval of their backers, so it will be interesting to see in what direction they head now.
'Tis me
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

^^ judging by the response to their tweet, Sky Sports name check and article they will generate some good will and marketing capital. There's also potentially the opportunity to sue LFC for some breach of contract. Final observation is that they clearly had to discount the LFC watches to get rid - perhaps the partnership wasn't paying off.

All guess work of course, but fun speculating
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Simon Rimmer was very positive about his Tribus as a diehard Liverpool fan. That's some good exposure.

A well timed positive review too.

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Caller wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:52 pm I think that's crazy by Tribus. It was obvious the ESL was dead in the water almost from the minute it was announced. They only had to wait a few hours and then just move on. I suspect the American owners of Liverpool, Arsenal and United (what is it about red shirts? ), will be keeping a very low profile for the foreseeable future, if not move on all together, which for United and Arsenal fans has been a long term goal in any case.

I have wondered why Tribus didn't stick their watches in Liverpool stores Worldwide to sell? One week ago today I put a peg on my nose and ventured into Liverpools store in Siam Square in Bangkok. Jeez, they do sell some tacky rubbish, including two cheap as chips plastic looking warches with no obvious connection to the club.

Anyway, they acted very hastily, presumably with the approval of their backers, so it will be interesting to see in what direction they head now.
I suspect they don't have the stock to put them in fan stores around the world.

The watches seem to be made in Switzerland, and supplied from Switzerland. You would probably need a rather different supply model to produce the hundreds or maybe even thousands of watches to stock in fanstores, which are effectively AD's for the watches. It seems to be more like a CW-type supply model based on (I imagine) relatively smaller volumes. Maybe they weren't able to fulfil a big demand at the start, and have been playing catch up ever since. Selling high priced items is rather different to selling lower priced stuff, isn't it. You probably don't want to carry too much working capital in finished goods, in case it doesn't sell, but then you might not be able to react quickly enough to satisfy a demand. Hard to get right, and that's probably why a lot of micro brands use limited runs, and kickstarter type funding.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I would have thought that for the watches to be in the stores, the stores would have to buy them for re-sale. So the stores would be acting as AD's which I doubt is the model Tribus are looking for, and as stated above, they probably don't have the stock levels to get the stores interested. With the 50% discount, there can't be a huge profit margin so handing a large part of that margin to someone else may not be worthwhile.

I can't see any "breach of contract" - being a sponsor is just another way of buying advertising, usually with some perks thrown in such as match day tickets, meeting players etc.

Hopefully the association with Brentford will be more straightforward!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

According to the articles released from the outset it was the intention to sell in the official LFC retail stores
https://www.watchitallabout.com/an-intr ... e-founders

"In addition to the LFC special edition on the Tribus site, the LFC store will stock several cheaper LFC themed options, more accessible for the masses – but these will still be Swiss Made to the same level, and with quartz chronograph movements instead".

I guess the fact that no fans haven't really been allowed to go to matches and that the official retail stores in Liverpool have generally been closed means that this never happened. I am sure that there would be enough profit margin in a quartz at the price they are asking for both Tribus and LFC to take their respective cut. It may have only been the store at Anfield or a select number so to carry enough stock of a trouble free quartz should not be tough. They do it now for their own brand but I think the watches are around £150, so £500+ would be a tough impulse buy on a match day so not much stock would be needed!

It may have been beneficial to Tribus to have had a presence on the official club store online whilst the shops were closed but that didn't happen either.

The Tribus decision could be reversed almost as quick as the clubs decision to pull out of the super league plans, but then again the deal may also not be worth the money paid at the moment.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Delivered this week, TRIBUS TRI-02 GMT 3 Timezone COSC.

6E08982D-7E09-4B72-AD10-8E05BB4393BE.jpeg
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

Richard D wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:11 am Delivered this week, TRIBUS TRI-02 GMT 3 Timezone COSC.

6E08982D-7E09-4B72-AD10-8E05BB4393BE.jpeg
Congrats on the sharp new acquisition! I'd be curious to know your impressions on the overall quality and level of finishing compared to CWs or other brands that you've owned. They're priced in a tier above CW and it's hard to tell from pics as to whether their perceived quality justifies their cost. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and enjoy your new timepiece in the best of health!
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ Happy to share my thoughts. First impressions are very favourable, the quality is evident and on par with any of my Omega cases and dials in my collection. The finish is beautifully engineered as is the dial and crowns. Both are screw down and are effortless as is the action of the silky smooth internal bezel. At 41mm the watch is very comfortable to wear, legibility is superb. The anti reflective doomed crystal magnify the outer markers, clearly an homage to the golden era of watchmaking of the 40s and 5Os. The movement is performing extremely well and is well inside the COSC limits, over 24hours the watch gained 1 second if that. The bracelet is not what I expected, the quality is evident but it has a function extension which is something that I’ve not come across before. Once I have time I will write a full review.

Final thought, value for money - without doubt.

Keep well too.

Richard
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Richard - Your posts have made me look more carefully at this watch. It's a shame the bracelet doesn't have a quick change facility, but otherwise it seems to have everything. I like the colour, and the cosc, display back, and GMT functions all add a lot of value. (not that I need a GMT!)
I keep thinking about the half price LIverpool watches. Interesting that the warranty is effectively 6 years as long as you have a service at 3. I don't think that's too different to CW is it? You need to have a service to get the full 5 years I think, if CW stick to the rules.

I must say I am not phased by the failed super league venture. It was just a business deal gone wrong. They obviously thought European football was ready for a US Type sports franchise model, which it clearly isn't for various reasons, not least the recruitment process within football. I am surprised Tribus withdrew from the deal. I think that might be a mistake.