Tribus Watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Tribus Watches

Post by biggus_richus »

Richard D wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:44 pm I’m tempted by the TRI-01 Small Second COSC. The 40s design clues are unmistakable, add the teal dial and IMHO it makes for an attractive watch.

37D757F4-2996-49EE-A9C9-792BA991822B.jpeg
What would you say are the 40s design cues in this?
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

biggus_richus wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:48 pm What would you say are the 40s design cues in this?
The contours of a vintage enamelled dial and the slight dome crystal which exaggerates the markers near to the bezel. Add the hands and I can see a relationship with the 40s.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Had a great catch-up today with Chris and his sons at the Battle of Britain Airshow. It was also a real treat to see the TRIBUS range of watches together with the awesome Hurricanes and Spitfires.

663752DB-D7E5-478E-A560-F1D0A0CDD969.jpeg
C65D869B-3431-470D-88CE-3C83209E0C89.jpeg
B8A21D63-A060-4C90-8E83-9D649081B87B.jpeg
3E8F0B6A-8970-459E-9D04-09492D02CDFB.jpeg
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

Just having a glance through this I get the impression there are a few Tribus fans here but not many. Considering CW has significant links to Tribus and was the founding name behind CW, clearly, is it assumed that CW as a person is shunned for moving on (removed perhaps?) on this forum.

Does anyone actually know his reason for his departure?
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

ArtfulRoger wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:59 pm Just having a glance through this I get the impression there are a few Tribus fans here but not many. Considering CW has significant links to Tribus and was the founding name behind CW, clearly, is it assumed that CW as a person is shunned for moving on (removed perhaps?) on this forum.

It’s fair to say that quite a number of CW forumites had high hopes for Chris Ward’s new venture but were left underwhelmed/ cold by Tribus’ range, ‘ambitious’ pricing and the marketing. There’s still a lot of love for Chris Ward and maybe future ranges will reignite the initial enthusiasm for Tribus - let’s hope so, anyway.
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
Molan
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

ArtfulRoger wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:59 pm Just having a glance through this I get the impression there are a few Tribus fans here but not many. Considering CW has significant links to Tribus and was the founding name behind CW, clearly, is it assumed that CW as a person is shunned for moving on (removed perhaps?) on this forum.

Your assumption is well wide of the mark!

Fact check.

Chris Ward, the man himself, has many friends who are members of this forum, and he has absolutely NOT been shunned for moving on to pastures new, nor has he been removed from the forum, which it is worth reminding operates independently of Christopher Ward (the brand). Moreover, there is a Forum User Name attributed to him, albeit with only two posts to his name.

As to the reason/s for his departure from CW, they were widely speculated upon at the time, but if anyone actually knows the reasons for his departure they will, most likely, not be making them public on here.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
Gar787Thermexman
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

There seems to be alot of sensitivity around Mr Ward's departure and any discussion thereof, judging by the tone of that last post? Interesting.

I'm sure others are intrigued as to why and how he left and, moreover, why it's a sensitive matter for mention or discussion. That in itself makes it even more intriguing. The brand is very different now from when I was first made aware at their start. I'm hoping Chris is doing well.
These users thanked the author ArtfulRoger for the post:
Illiera
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ It’s not a sensitive topic on here at all. The forum as a whole was made aware of Chris’ departure from the company very quickly after it happened. I have known Chris personally, I’ve met him on a number of occasions, had a pint with him and enjoyed his company over several meals and discussion sessions. I haven’t a clue about the circumstances of his leaving, and the reason for that is…

Well, you have used the word intrigue (as in intrigued and intriguing) and Guy used and underlined the word speculation. And this is the point. Chris has chosen not to reveal why he left the company, and the company has chosen not to comment on it. Most of us have accepted that. Unless and until that changes, all you are going to get is speculation and intrigue. Why bother?

As to the watches, I think a lot of it comes down to personal taste. If I had found any of the Tribus watches particularly attractive, I might have been interested. I still could be interested, but up to now they haven’t produced anything I like enough to buy it. There are absolutely no other issues involved with that.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

ArtfulRoger wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 am There seems to be alot of sensitivity around Mr Ward's departure and any discussion thereof, judging by the tone of that last post? Interesting.

I'm sure others are intrigued as to why and how he left and, moreover, why it's a sensitive matter for mention or discussion. That in itself makes it even more intriguing. The brand is very different now from when I was first made aware at their start. I'm hoping Chris is doing well.
You might want to read the announcement thread here.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
Richard D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Illiera
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Illiera »

ArtfulRoger wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 am There seems to be alot of sensitivity around Mr Ward's departure and any discussion thereof, judging by the tone of that last post? Interesting.

My reading of it is a sense of frustration around people concluding the departure was either amicable or not amicable when nobody really knows, rather than a sensitivity to his departure or conversation about Tribus (there are 27 pages to this thread after all)
C60 Trident Pro GMT 600
C900 Single Pusher
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

There seems to be alot of sensitivity around Mr Ward's departure
I think the plain - and perhaps boring - truth is that most, if not all of us have no idea why Mr Ward left, so speculation becomes pointless after a while. It's not sensitive, it's just old news.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post (total 3):
Richard DjkbarnesThermexman
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

You can't beat a good conspiracy theory.

Two words...skeleton watch.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post (total 2):
Richard DThermexman
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

It's absolutely none of any of our business why Chris left and the reason isn't pertinent to either company's standing.

People leave companies every day of the week, no matter what their status within the company.

Life goes on, speculation is futile.

Let's get back to discussing and showing watches.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post (total 2):
Richard Djkbarnes
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

There does seem to be a disproportionate amount of speculation. More than would usually be the case when a senior manager leaves a company they were employed by.

If MF or PE had left that would have been a story.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:12 pm It's absolutely none of any of our business why Chris left and the reason isn't pertinent to either company's standing.

People leave companies every day of the week, no matter what their status within the company.

Life goes on, speculation is futile.

Let's get back to discussing and showing watches.
Sure. But this is a fan forum about Christopher Ward who doesn't even feature in the company anymore so it's bound to cause some intrigue. No one of course has a right to know, but those who invest time and energy in a brand would naturally be intrigued and speculate. The absence of a proper goodbye and so on speaks volumes really. It just feels weird that the brand owner and name has left yet the name stays on the dial.probably even more weird for him.

I am sure the Admin team, due to their overt over sensitivity to it being raised, clearly, are privy to more info but won't let on. Which of course is fine too.

Having now looked at Tribus I too am disappointed in the offerings. The marketing is bizarre. Each to their own of course.
These users thanked the author ArtfulRoger for the post:
Molan