New arrival - escaped quarantine

A place to discuss other watch-brands
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

New arrival - escaped quarantine

Post by H0rati0 »

Zenith Elite - just made it out of Lombardy before lockdown. I have been after one of these for years to replace a former Blancpain Villeret, but this time the deal came together. Takes me back to my hey day when 36mm was considered full size and indeed it is so comfortable and slim, like a silk glove and with little risk of bashing it. The COSC paper dates it as 1997. Spec:

Zenith Elite Chronomaster, HW Reserve de Marche Chronometer

Zenith calibre 655 (manufacture - 6450 units)
32 jewels
28,800 bph
55 hour power reserve, manual wind
Quick set date, instant change at 0000
18k yellow gold
36x8mm, lug to lug 42mm
Dial in silver Guilloche
Gold hands and applied arabic numerals
Domed sapphire crystal
3 atm
strap18/16
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: New arrival - escaped quarantine

Post by StrapMeister »

What a lovely watch :)
Each time I look at it I see some detail that has been very well thought out.
Great acquisition - well done :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Oh my, that is lovely. Congratulations! :clap: :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

What a beautiful watch, the detail on the dial is superb and works very well with the yellow gold case :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

:clap: :clap: lots of detail on that one to admire.

Congratulations on an excellent catch. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Whoa, there, Nelly!!!...that PR function is the highlight from my perspective..excellent pick up, sir!!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Exquisite Zenith!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by v8power »

Just nothing but art! Congrats!
Watch out :)
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Very nice looking watch.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:07 am Zenith Elite - just made it out of Lombardy before lockdown. I have been after one of these for years to replace a former Blancpain Villeret, but this time the deal came together. Takes me back to my hey day when 36mm was considered full size and indeed it is so comfortable and slim, like a silk glove and with little risk of bashing it. The COSC paper dates it as 1997. Spec:

32 jewels
28,800 bph
18k yellow gold
36x8mm, lug to lug 42mm
Dial in silver Guilloche
Domed sapphire crystal
3 atm
strap18/16
Congratulations! I have a Concord Impresario using the same movement I received in 2000 that still brings a smile to my face. The Concord version is perhaps more contemporary (for the time) whereas your Zenith radiates that classic elegance. If you didn't discover it already, the date change has the convenience of moving the date both forward and backward, something I wish all my date watches could do.
IMG_6446.jpg
IMG_6447.jpg
Best regards,
John
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Bident wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:34 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:07 am Zenith Elite - just made it out of Lombardy before lockdown. I have been after one of these for years to replace a former Blancpain Villeret, but this time the deal came together. Takes me back to my hey day when 36mm was considered full size and indeed it is so comfortable and slim, like a silk glove and with little risk of bashing it. The COSC paper dates it as 1997. Spec:

32 jewels
28,800 bph
18k yellow gold
36x8mm, lug to lug 42mm
Dial in silver Guilloche
Domed sapphire crystal
3 atm
strap18/16
Congratulations! I have a Concord Impresario using the same movement I received in 2000 that still brings a smile to my face. The Concord version is perhaps more contemporary (for the time) whereas your Zenith radiates that classic elegance. If you didn't discover it already, the date change has the convenience of moving the date both forward and backward, something I wish all my date watches could do.

IMG_6446.jpgIMG_6447.jpg
Sweet Jesus!!...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Thunder1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Sweet Jesus!!...
:D

Chuck, if I remember correctly, you also have a similar Concord but it contains the Zenith chronograph, El Primero movement?
Best regards,
John
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Bident wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Sweet Jesus!!...
:D

Chuck, if I remember correctly, you also have a similar Concord but it contains the Zenith chronograph, El Primero movement?
Yep, you've a pretty good memory, if I do say so..still, your posting has had me looking at the offerings on the 'bay once again.. :problem:
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Gentlemen, many thanks for your well wishes!

When she first arrived, I was a little taken aback (disappointed even) at the what seemed the diminutive size. I remembered these as being perfectly normal, in fact it is 2mm bigger than my old Blancpain and the same size as my Rolex DJ and I never thought of those watches as small - but modern hardware is in a different league. However, once I had had her on my wrist for a few hours I rediscovered the comfort of 90s elegance, so now happier and happier.
Bident wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:34 pm

IMG_6446.jpgIMG_6447.jpg
I knew that Concord used the 655, but have never seen one, so many thanks for sharing yours, quite a different take. The particularly interesting thing is that the 655 was designed as a base and through your Concord display back one can see the track for the not fitted autowind rotor. To be truthful, in theory I would have slightly preferred an auto (calibre 685 in Zenith speak) but the complete watch is nowhere near as pretty, nor chronometer grade so I went with this one.

The date change is also interesting, will be useful for setting when straight out of the safe. From my wanderings it would seem the 655 movement and its derivatives are just as stunning technically as the EP. Mine is running a little fast (just within COSC) but it has been sat NOS for 20 odd years so I will let it settle a bit, then we'll see. It did go through a pre sale check, but I didn't want to wait for time checking and that was probably a good thing as I am not sure what would have happened to delivery if the quarantine curtain in Northern Italy had come down before it shipped.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 pm The particularly interesting thing is that the 655 was designed as a base and through your Concord display back one can see the track for the not fitted autowind rotor.
I read about the 650 series serving as a base as well when I first dusted off my Concord a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, the base movement is the Elite 650 which has the small seconds but no power reserve complication. From there, Zenith added the 655 (PR), and the auto as you mentioned, the 685, and I would assume others that I don't know of yet.

Also interesting that you mentioned the smaller size looking out of place in today's world. I wore my Concord every day to the office for years when I first acquired it (an anniversary gift from my wife in 2000, so it had sentimental value as well). At some point, with the trend towards office casual attire, I began wearing sportier watches with bezels and larger diameters. It seems the trend today is towards smaller watches, although more mid-size cases in the 38mm to 41mm range. It's a bit like my old suits and ties...waiting long enough ensures they will come back in style. :lol:

Enjoy the Zenith!
Best regards,
John