New arrival - escaped quarantine

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: New arrival - escaped quarantine

Post by Lavaine »

Just wow! I think that your Zenith epitomizes the the phrase timeless elegance. I think you could put that dial in a simpler case, and convince most people that the watch was from the 60's. In fact, at first glance i thought the watch was quite a bit older than it was. I would say it will age very well, as it will never go out of style.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Bident wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 pm
I read about the 650 series serving as a base as well when I first dusted off my Concord a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, the base movement is the Elite 650 which has the small seconds but no power reserve complication. From there, Zenith added the 655 (PR), and the auto as you mentioned, the 685, and I would assume others that I don't know of yet.
Have a look at this, it's in French but you get the idea. They were pretty busy!
calibres-Elite.png
Bident wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 pm Also interesting that you mentioned the smaller size looking out of place in today's world. I wore my Concord every day to the office for years when I first acquired it (an anniversary gift from my wife in 2000, so it had sentimental value as well). At some point, with the trend towards office casual attire, I began wearing sportier watches with bezels and larger diameters. It seems the trend today is towards smaller watches, although more mid-size cases in the 38mm to 41mm range. It's a bit like my old suits and ties...waiting long enough ensures they will come back in style. :lol:

Enjoy the Zenith!
Like you, I'm so anti-fashion that I am ahead of the next time around!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

H0rati0 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:33 pm Have a look at this, it's in French but you get the idea. They were pretty busy!
Busy indeed!
Best regards,
John
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

The level of sophistication here is almost other-worldly to these eyes. I salute you, Sir!
Thank you so much for presenting it. Wow.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Thunder1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 pm Whoa, there, Nelly!!!...that PR function is the highlight from my perspective..excellent pick up, sir!!!..
I'm right with you there Chuck (I think we've had that discussion before). My next target is an auto with PR indicator and in the future, without being a slave to the concept, PR indicators will figure on most of my acquisitions. Such a useful complication for rotation!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

Just stumbled upon this old thread.
My next watch will be a Rose Gold dress watch. Actually, I do like a complication, so technically I am not looking at dress watches.
I have been looking at used JLC Master Control but the Zenith Elite Reserve De Marche is exactly what I am looking for.
Unfortunately, used examples in Gold start at £4,000, on Chrono 24.
I will have to move a piece or two on and start saving!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:00 pm Just stumbled upon this old thread.
My next watch will be a Rose Gold dress watch. Actually, I do like a complication, so technically I am not looking at dress watches.
I have been looking at used JLC Master Control but the Zenith Elite Reserve De Marche is exactly what I am looking for.

Make sure you get an 18k buckle (OEM fitment) as most have had the straps replaced and the buckle mysteriously "transmutes" to plate. €700 to make that right - go on, ask me how I know!

But, Zenith were great to deal with and I considered it well worth it as I am rather smitten. As you point out, technically not dress but it plays the part very nicely with a DJ as it is so slim and discreet.

Good luck in the hunt - which is a big chunk of the fun after all.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

That Elite isnt my speed but by god its a work of art. Im not usually drawn to that style of watch but that is mind blowing. Absolute congrats!

I knew I loved Zenith, but more research in to them is definitely needed as im clearly missing something with both on this thread :clap:
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

H0rati0 wrote:
Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:00 pm Just stumbled upon this old thread.

Make sure you get an 18k buckle (OEM fitment) as most have had the straps replaced and the buckle mysteriously "transmutes" to plate. €700 to make that right - go on, ask me how I know!

But, Zenith were great to deal with and I considered it well worth it as I am rather smitten. As you point out, technically not dress but it plays the part very nicely with a DJ as it is so slim and discreet.

Good luck in the hunt - which is a big chunk of the fun after all.
Thanks for the heads up. I noticed some don't have the original strap.
Where would be a good place to look for this watch? Any other options other than Chrono24 and ebay?
Is £4,000 about right,
Thanks

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:45 pm Thanks for the heads up. I noticed some don't have the original strap.
Where would be a good place to look for this watch? Any other options other than Chrono24 and ebay?
Is £4,000 about right,
Thanks

I bought mine on Chrono24 having I spent quite a while looking for the right deal. Whilst I did occasionally find this model on other sites (they are not so numerous) all the sensible opportunities came up on Chrono24 as well, so in the end I just went ahead and cut a deal. Make sure you negotiate as prices are usually flexible, I like to get a firm no to start with! In general, I prefer Chrono24 as more serious than ebay (most sellers are dealers) with good purchase protection and guarantees. You could try Watchfinder, Chronext and Timepeaks if you want to broaden the search. There is also MyWatchMart which scans other For Sale sites including forums so could be useful though doesn't pick up everything as it is US orientated.

I'd say £4k is a little lowball these days, though not out of the ballpark so do make sure on condition (buckle!) and box/papers if they're important to you, I personally prefer to know providence but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Once again, good hunting!
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

H0rati0 wrote:
Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:45 pm Thanks for the heads up. I noticed some don't have the original strap.
Is £4,000 about right,
Thanks

I bought mine on Chrono24 having I spent quite a while looking for the right deal. Whilst I did occasionally find this model on other sites (they are not so numerous) all the sensible opportunities came up on Chrono24 as well, so in the end I just went ahead and cut a deal. Make sure you negotiate as prices are usually flexible, I like to get a firm no to start with! In general, I prefer Chrono24 as more serious than ebay (most sellers are dealers) with good purchase protection and guarantees. You could try Watchfinder, Chronext and Timepeaks if you want to broaden the search. There is also MyWatchMart which scans other For Sale sites including forums so could be useful though doesn't pick up everything as it is US orientated.

I'd say £4k is a little lowball these days, though not out of the ballpark so do make sure on condition (buckle!) and box/papers if they're important to you, I personally prefer to know providence but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Thanks again. All useful information.
I am in no rush and need to sell at least one piece and save in the meantime Image

Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

H0rati0 wrote:
Is £4,000 about right,
Thanks

There's a few on Chrono24 at the moment (with and without Gold clasps!)
Do you happen to know which is the better movement to go for? There are HW versions (manual) or automatic.
Thanks
Mike

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Wolfman53 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:06 pm
Do you happen to know which is the better movement to go for? There are HW versions (manual) or automatic.
Thanks
Mike

Exactly the same movement, the rotor version is 685 vs 655 manual. The 6xx movements are highly regarded, lower profile than El Primero naturally but same design philosophy and detailing. I don't think you can go wrong with either so it's a matter of model aesthetics mostly, though the auto is not chronometer rated. For me, the manual was visually very similar to the previous Blancpain I wanted to replace and I much preferred this more classic look to the auto, specifically the case and hands which are chunkier. There is a also hand-wound version of the auto case/hands design, but I didn't consider that at all.
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

H0rati0 wrote:
Wolfman53 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:06 pm
Thanks
Mike

Exactly the same movement, the rotor version is 685 vs 655 manual. The 6xx movements are highly regarded, lower profile than El Primero naturally but same design philosophy and detailing. I don't think you can go wrong with either so it's a matter of model aesthetics mostly, though the auto is not chronometer rated. For me, the manual was visually very similar to the previous Blancpain I wanted to replace and I much preferred this more classic look to the auto, specifically the case and hands which are chunkier. There is a also hand-wound version of the auto case/hands design, but I didn't consider that at all.
Brilliant thanks.
There are 3 automatics and one manual wind on Chrono24 at the moment in Rose Gold. Unfortunately the manual wind doesn't come with the clasp Image

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Wolfman53 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:05 pm
There are 3 automatics and one manual wind on Chrono24 at the moment in Rose Gold. Unfortunately the manual wind doesn't come with the clasp Image

Them's the breaks! Of course you can always contact Zenith and buy the correct clasp later, but that ain't cheap so you need to get the right deal. Negotiating point, maybe? I had it direct from Zenith that the OEM fit is 18k.