Longines Conquest VHP

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jrpippen
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Longines Conquest VHP

Post by jrpippen »

I’ve been Itching for some HEQ action for a while now.

My aerospace advantage was doing a just over -20 seconds a year, but seems to have had a massive resurgence of super quartz accuracy off the wrist. Gaining 0.5 seconds in 11590 hours! 😳

That aside, I was having some serious 9F feelings but some searching and this VHP Longines looks like it may be a no brainier. Price point, accuracy, movement. The only negative I can see is the 50m resistance. There is even a GMT!

What’s not to like??

Anyone out there have experience?
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
Tally
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: Longines Conquest VHP

Post by Tally »

I briefly owned the Commonwealth LE edition, lovely watch but the bracelet was just so uncomfortable (for me) and could not find the sweat spot with it.
No half links to make adjustments either
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
treyford
Guru
Guru

Post by treyford »

Hi jrpippen,

I have Longines VHP GMT which is a very easy watch; to look at, to wear and is extremely accurate. I agree it is fabulous at the price point and I have not regreted buying it. I bought it from a local AD and got a 10% discount if I remember. If you like the look of the watch, I would say go for it :thumbup:
Treyford
jrpippen
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by jrpippen »

Awesome!

I tend to remove the bracelet and use a strap or nato anyway to be honest so not too worried about that.

Is it a PreciDrive movement?
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by nwnjw01 »

I have been attracted to the Longines VHP For some time, (GMT Version), the accuracy sounds amazing, I think the white version looks really smart, not sure how useful the app integration would be, and wonder is it possible to switch the main set of hands between home time and away time?
Having quite a time not getting one, and the suggestion that an AD might offer a discount might have been too much to resist ...
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior

Post by nwnjw01 »

I have been attracted to the Longines VHP For some time, (GMT Version), the accuracy sounds amazing, I think the white version looks really smart, not sure how useful the app integration would be, and wonder is it possible to switch the main set of hands between home time and away time?
Having quite a time not getting one, and the suggestion that an AD might offer a discount might have been too much to resist ...
treyford
Guru
Guru

Post by treyford »

In answer to nwnjw01 question about the app integration, I have the Longines App on my iPhone, it is also available from Google play for Android phones. I must say the first couple of times that I tried to set both the Home time and Travel time I found it to be a bit fiddly to get the watch to accept the flash instructions but once you have done it a few times it gets more instinctive. It's not easy because you only get 60 seconds to set the Home time first and then the Travel time by sending separate flash instruction.

I think that means you can set the Home time to where you are going to and the Travel time to London, for instance and the GMT arrow will show you the GMT time. A caveat here, I haven't tried this scenario but from a check of the app it has 2 separate fields for both Home and Travel time that allows you to select the region you are calling Home time ie Sydney and Travel time as London. If you then flash the watch your Home time will be set to Sydney time say and when send the Travel time the GMT hand will show London time. I hope this makes sense.

When I go into an AD for any watch my default position is that I will not be paying the sticker price, I always haggle. The ADs are as keen for your money as much as you are keen to get your hands on the watch. It is my belief that most watch manufactures give ADs in the region of 20 to 30% profit margin, so if they don't offer a discount say good bye and take your business else where. It is a buyers market at the moment.
Treyford
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I had a VHP three-hander for a few months. It was very nicely finished, a good size, had lovely brushing and a beautiful caseback. What eventually caused me to move it one was that I couldn't get a good enough fit with the butterfly clasp. In addition, I wasn't keen on the idea that changing the battery might reset the electronics and mean the thing had to be returned to Longines to be reprogrammed. IIRC you seemed to only be able to set the watch plus or minus a day or so from the time it had been set in the factory meaning that the perpetual calendar might get out of whack. Of, and the 50m water resistance felt at odds with what might have been acheived had they gone with a screw down crown.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior

Post by nwnjw01 »

Treyford,

Thank you for your description of the app functionality, it was both reassuring that it will do what I would want but also a little concerning that you have only 60 seconds to set both times, using the flash function.

Also the advice about haggling is helpful..
Thank you
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior

Post by nwnjw01 »

Richter,

I found your comment about potentially having to send the watch back to Longines if a battery change reset its calendar, I wonder if this would be a problem on the GMT version with the app? Presumably that would let the user reset the calendar as well?
treyford
Guru
Guru

Post by treyford »

nwnjw01,

I believe the GMT has the same 5 year battery life but I would advise that the watch has a suspend mode when you are not wearing the watch to save battery and you then bring it out of suspended mode, it then self adjusts to the correct date and time.
Treyford
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior

Post by nwnjw01 »

Treyford,

Sounds good, the suspend mode that is with it self adjusting to the correct time when you un-suspend it.

Does the battery life of five years include any suspended time? Or is it longer if you suspend it occasionally?

Also am I correct in thinking that the app only works with the GMT version?
treyford
Guru
Guru

Post by treyford »

Nwnjw01,

I can’t answer the question about whether the suspend mode duration is included in the the overall battery life.

I believe that the flash function only works with the GMT version.
Treyford
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior

Post by nwnjw01 »

Treyford,

Thanks ... I couldn’t find the answer either but assumed it doesn’t, probably quoting maximum life ... otherwise they would trumpet the extra ....

Shame about the flash function only applying to the GMT, I don’t really need a GMT, But the flash functionality seems like it would be useful.

Thanks again for your answers.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’ve looked at this watch a number of times and this thread has piqued my interest.

The suspend mode, invoked by pulling the crown out, appears to apply the all the VHP models: 3 hand, GMT and chrono’s. It doesn’t explicitly state that this improves overall battery life but I can’t see how it would make it any worse.

With regards changing the battery I found the following that states that if the battery is replaced within six months of it finally dying then the perpetual calendar does not need to be reprogrammed. My reading of this suggests therefore that the watch doesn’t necessarily need to go back to Longines for a regular battery change?

100DAC97-7337-4B50-907F-4B4BDA9BBDAB.jpeg

As always there’s an unanswered question in the last paragraph. I wonder what the perpetual calendar program setting request is? (It’s not documented anywhere I’ve looked...)
Tim