Roy King and his Watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Roy C King

Re: Roy King and his Watches

Post by Roy C King »

DominicRoyKing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:07 pm Thank you for your piece on Roy Cecil King. As his son, I had to smile when one of your commentators suggested you had found another obscure designer/manufacturer to feature! It is arguable that Roy was the most accomplished and important British manufacturing jeweller of the twentieth century. He provided fine work for all the major international brands including Cartier, Longines, Omega, Patek-Phillipe etc prior to his exclusive tie-in with movement maker Bueche-Girod, starting his own signature Roy King brand and finally taking on La Montre Royale de Genève. His ingenuity won multiple prizes at the Jewel of The Year and De Beers competitions, and his designs are on permanent display at the Goldsmiths' Hall. Roy's typical commercial output was a reflection of the irreverent 1960s and 70s, as you can see from this Gold and Lapis fantasy creation for Omega and an example of his 'bark finish on brick' bracelets for Longines. Thanks again for highlighting an outstanding career.
Hi I am also Roy C. King. He was adopted in Kentish Town England by the Wells family the name of my gg grandma's family, Kentish Town is just a few miles from where I am from.. How weird.. I am trying to buy one of his watches on E bay..
WriterRoss

Post by WriterRoss »

Dear Mr. King:

Greetings from New York. I hope this note reaches you and that you and yours are well.
I have a gentle question for you.
My father was stationed in London during the Korean War. He was married to my mom in June 1952.
He was originally living at Bushey Hall. (Spelling must be incorrect.)
He sent for my mom so they could live together while he was in the Army.
They moved into a home in Watford.
Their landlord was Roy King.
I recall Roy King did something with watches or jewelry.
When I visited England as a college student in 1982, my dad, Archie, and I somehow contacted Mr. King and I set up a date to meet him.
When he picked me up, it was in a lovely car. He took me to his beautiful home, no longer the Watford property.
I was in shock to be in a proper British estate. We talked about my mom, Janice and my dad. I was served tea. I was in awe.

Unfortunately, both my mom and dad have recently passed away. They always said their days in England were the best days of their lives.

I don't know if I have found the right King family here but I believe it was worth an attempt to say hello again.

-Pamela Ross
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Welcome, and good luck with your attempt to make contact. As you will see this is quite an old thread, and the previous poster only made one post and hasn’t been active for over a year now. But, you never know.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

WriterRoss wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:18 pm
I don't know if I have found the right King family here but I believe it was worth an attempt to say hello again.

-Pamela Ross
I don't know if you noticed but to the right of the page below the forum name, there is the word "contact" and below that a link to send an email to the individual. You may have more chance of making contact by sending an email rather than a post on the forum.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

As a relative newcomer still, this is the 1st time I've seen this old thread. What a fascinating and interesting read.
Whilst the OP or Mr King may no longer be active on here I will still say, very belatedly (just in case), thanks for posting and what a talented watchmaker and designer.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands