A place to discuss other watch-brands
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Affordable minute repeater?

Post by H0rati0 »

^^
basically to be able to tell the time by hearing alone, think a chiming clock. The chimes are switchable so when you don't want to hear you just switch them off.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thanks!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:58 pm Can some explain a minute repeater? I looked it up but don’t fully get it. It’s not an alarm, right? What’s the point of it?
A very old complication which allowed people to tell the time in the dark by listening to an audible signal. Basically when you activate the mechanism (often a slider on a wrist watch but often a lever or pull cord on a clock) it chimes out the hours quarters and minutes using different combinations of gong.

For example, you could have single strikes for hours followed by double strikes for quarters, followed again by single strikes for the minutes since the last quarter. I think that’s the most common pattern.

Example: 4:35 = 4 single, 2 double, 5 single.

ding ding ding ding : ding-dong ding-dong: ding ding ding ding ding! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:08 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:58 pm Can some explain a minute repeater? I looked it up but don’t fully get it. It’s not an alarm, right? What’s the point of it?
A very old complication which allowed people to tell the time in the dark by listening to an audible signal. Basically when you activate the mechanism (often a slider on a wrist watch but often a lever or pull cord on a clock) it chimes out the hours quarters and minutes using different combinations of gong.

For example, you could have single strikes for hours followed by double strikes for quarters, followed again by single strikes for the minutes since the last quarter. I think that’s the most common pattern.

Example: 4:35 = 4 single, 2 double, 5 single.

ding ding ding ding : ding-dong ding-dong: ding ding ding ding ding! :D
Thanks for that. You filled in the missing piece - that it only goes off when activated.
Drew
SherlockClock

Post by SherlockClock »

kidevil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:29 pm Who else is here because they read the August 2021 Loupe magazine? 🤣🤣🤣
:wave: Me! The Loupe article definitely hints at a minute—or at the very least quarter—repeater. I can’t fathom how they will make a mechanical repeater available at CW prices, but I sure am excited to find out and will be on the preorder list post haste!