2017 C3 MK3 FLE Owners List

The seventh Forum Limited Edition
Sold out
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: 2017 C3 MK3 FLE Owners List

Post by downer »

gaf1958 wrote:I'm usually a big one for legibility of watches, but I must admit to having no great issues with the FLE... Strange as I'm usually the picky one.
Completely agree, Gary. Having tried and sold a few watches due to legibility issues, I'm very surprised about the return rate of this FLE, which is - when all said and done, pretty easy to read.

Perhaps there are other reasons for the returns, but either way, I think it will not help the cause for any future projects...
Richard
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

downer wrote:
gaf1958 wrote:I'm usually a big one for legibility of watches, but I must admit to having no great issues with the FLE... Strange as I'm usually the picky one.
Completely agree, Gary. Having tried and sold a few watches due to legibility issues, I'm very surprised about the return rate of this FLE, which is - when all said and done, pretty easy to read.

Perhaps there are other reasons for the returns, but either way, I think it will not help the cause for any future projects...
That's my fear.

Too often, people are slathering like rabid dogs over the process, yet in reality, it took a while to sell, and the returns have been too high for my liking.

These need to be done outside of the 60:60. You want it, you vote for it, you buy it. If you then don't want it, sell it yourself.

I would love see a true forum special as opposed to the current warmed over quartz. Higher value, SH21 movement, lower numbers and a couple of cohesive designs by CW.

We vote for the one we want, and that is it. Pay 50% upfront, and the rest on delivery. If there are not enough takers it doesnt get done. No 60:60. (5ry warranty can remain)

Make it a watch to cherish and be proud of.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

The legibility of a watch is a very personal thing but there is no doubt that many have stated this as the reason for return.

The fact that it was a quartz didn't do it any favours in my view but then again I don't like quartz watches.

I have to say that I lost interest in the process at a very early date.

It will be interesting to see over the next 6 months or so how many more are let go.

I'm very happy for those who voted for, are happy with and are keeping their FLEs.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Like others have said it’s a shame that so many have been returned and I share the concern that this could cause an end to further FLE releases. On the other hand CW must have expected some returns hence the non-refundable £100 deposit and presumably had/has a plan for how to re-sell any returns.

I don’t know how much it will help in future to have more direct input from CW in the design of this FLE. I’m sure I’ve read comments previously about the legibility of, for example, the white hands on the white dialled Trident and that's a standard release CW design. Also other brands must get their designs wrong sometimes as Richard has said that he’s bought and sold a few, if I’ve read that correctly. So professional design input doesn’t guarantee perfection.

Personally I like my 2017 FLE and intend to keep it. Yes it’s quartz but i don't have an issue with that, it does feel light when wearing it, I can’t read the sub-dials without my glasses on and maybe it takes a second or so more to read the time in some light. But some of the above can apply to my white dialled Trident and my Tag Carrera Chrono sometimes so no brand gets every watch right and less efficient ageing eyesight doesn’t help either.

If another FLE process is started sometime in the future can it be on the basis of “no return and no refund”? Presumably it’ll still be an on-line purchase and I thought that by itself means that refund on return is set by trading law, although within 7-14 days rather than 60 days?

Additionally how many people would pay a 50% non-refundable deposit for a high cost CW FLE without at least seeing photos of the finished article and preferably being able to try it on. That’d require a prototype or 2 to be produced first.

I don’t/won't buy any standard release higher cost CW watches so doubt I’d buy a high value CW FLE as I’d prefer to put any sizeable amount of money towards a “named” brand like Omega, Rolex etc.

I think it’ll be a significant time before someone is bold enough to suggest another FLE and before CW will be willing to undertake to produce one.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Lack of legibility was the one and only reason I didn't keep my FLE. For people to say it is perfectly legible is totally subjective, just as is my insistence that I couldn't read the thing when the hands were over the subdials, so let's not get embroiled in one side or the other on that issue.

Other than the hands, I would have been perfectly happy to keep the watch and even approached CW to see if they would swap the hands out for a polished pair (at my expense) which I thought would be simple since those hands are readily available for the regular production watch anyway, but no-go. I couldn't live with the watch as designed.

However, I felt uncomfortable with the idea of returning it to CW since I had committed to buy it and so sold it to another member. If nobody here had wanted it I would have sold it on eBay rather than return it to CW even if it had cost me a little to do it that way. This is just my own personal approach and I certainly won't criticize anyone who did return it to CW - they set the rules and we shouldn't be surprised if the return option is taken up if it's made available.

If CW aren't happy to produce another forum limited edition then I'm sure they'll let us know. Or they can change the return rules. Everything else is conjecture.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Mikkei4 wrote: I think it’ll be a significant time before someone is bold enough to suggest another FLE and before CW will be willing to undertake to produce one.
I bet it won't be that long until someone suggests another FLE, but I can tell you, most definitively, it will be an extremely long time before we do another one.

Although I have no issues with legibility myself, I get it. However a 25% return rate is totally unacceptable and I will not put CW through this again without guaranteed sales.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

I can totally understand the sentiments expressed above. I had 2 of these on pre-order and cancelled them months before they were actually made. CW kindly refunded the deposits, something I didn't expect and wouldn't have argued about had they kept the deposit as they were entitled to do. Happily both were re-sold prior to delivery which pleased me.

FLE's are a risky enterprise, I was surprised CW actually went for another one but I can see it being the last - period..... IMO, there just isn't enough value in doing them anymore.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

^^^ CW’s putting out some great new models as it is. Not sure where another FLE would fit into it at this point.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

downer wrote:

1. I have a 2017 FLE but my practice - as it was for 2015 FLE and the 2012 Red FLE - is not to be listed in the Owners' list.
2. I don't have legibility issues, just like I have no problem with my white dial Trident GMT. The latter is one of my most commonly-worn watches.
3. I'm definitely keeping my 2017 FLE and like it a lot. It's replaced my CW Matisse as my main ready-to-wear quartz watch.

It's a shame that the returns rate seems to be so high. Looks like the likelihood of another FLE is zero.

Too many people with differing preferences make it very hard to find common ground and sufficient numbers for a FLE, frankly.

And for each of those who say they are willing to pay more for a "truly special" watch and that they don't like quartz, there will be tons more who will say they wouldn't ever want to pay so much for a CW watch. I think the latter group are the majority on this forum.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

asqwerth wrote:1. I have a 2017 FLE but my practice - as it was for 2015 FLE and the 2012 Red FLE - is not to be listed in the Owners' list.
Really?
asqwerth wrote:Just back from hols. The link removal tool arrived while I was away, but I haven't completed the resizing of the bracelet yet - the tool doesn't push the pins out all the way, and I'm finding it's not so easy to pull the pins out that last bit, even with a pair of pliers. I was afraid of bending or damaging the pins while pulling them out, so I decided to be careful and do the pulling bit by bit, interspersed with a bit of pushing with a bent paper clip.

Finally done with the link-removal though; just need to fit the 2 ends of the clasp back and I'm done.

My Red FLE is #** (number given)
Would you like me to delete your number that you had requested be added to the 2012 Owners List?

scooter
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

@scooter,

Totally forgot about that! Yes please.

I guess I must have got into my "more privacy, less info on the web" stage only after that. :oops:
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Deleted.

You'll need to amend/delete your entry on the thread though as I can't do that for you.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... 6&start=60

scooter x
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

Thanks, scooter.

BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

downer wrote: Perhaps there are other reasons for the returns, but either way, I think it will not help the cause for any future projects...
Greetings,

I agree.

I withdrew very early on because the design wasn't for me.

However a 25% return rate will be a nail in the coffin for future FLE's.

That's a shame.

However, the decision to run with another will of course rest only with CW.
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

I was extremely close to ordering one last week. Had gotten my info to CW; but as I looked closer at the watch, the legibility thing got noticed and I changed my mind. I also had a $500 car repair pop up in the time it took em to get back with me to order; I could still afford it, but it just lost my interest between legibility, quartz, and the fact that I’ll surely see them in a sale at some point.