LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

FLE #7 update - Feedback needed

Post by Kip »

We have run into a bit of a snag with the FLE #7.

According to Chris and SH (If you look at the drawing below) the area B and the 2 counters are done by plating and not varnished as requested on artwork. The reason is that the thickness for a varnish blue would be too thick, so the blue will be lighter than on artwork (same blue as on old C9 C5 MKII) and may actually match better with the hands.

If we go straight to production our estimated delivery date is no problem. If we go to a sample first on the dial for approval, the lead time will be very very tight for Pre-xmas and cannot be guaranteed.

All items are known on the dial apart from the blue color.

My personal opinion is that we go straight to production as we never did specify a specific shade of blue. Although we did assume the same as the current C3, I do not think the shading will be much different, let alone noticeable, but will be light dependent.

I would like some feedback/opinions from those that have ordered the FLE as soon as possible. I need to make a decision within 48 hours so that we can hopefully have these in November (or not).

C3 FLE #7

Comparison of blues

C9 left/C5 MKII right

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Re: FLE #7 update - Feedback needed

Post by BobMunro »

I would agree with you, Kip - go straight to production.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

My main question would be how the new shade of blue compares with the blued hands?

Initial impression is to go to production but is it possible to get a photo of the new blue with the hands laid on top or next to the dial to see if they clash? It is perfectly acceptable to say no to this question haha.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

My concern is about shade of blue, as I chose the dark blue strap to match the shade we voted on.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Happy to go with the C9 blue on mine, that was always a stunning colour :thumbup:

Happy to also go with the blue on SWMBO's FLE as well :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I seriously doubt that we would ever have noticed any difference had this not been brought to our attention. The blue will look dark or lighter depending how the light hits it (see the C9 dial photos), and will likely be less noticeable due to the smaller area of blue color on the dial. I do believe it will not clash at all and if we try to get a drawing of the differences it will only delay and still will not be an actual comparison. If we do that, we may as well wait for a prototype.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Kip wrote:I seriously doubt that we would ever have noticed any difference had this not been brought to our attention. The blue will look dark or lighter depending how the light hits it (see the C9 dial photos), and will likely be less noticeable due to the smaller area of blue color on the dial. I do believe it will not clash at all and if we try to get a drawing of the differences it will only delay and still will not be an actual comparison. If we do that, we may as well wait for a prototype.
In that case Kip, happy to proceed.

Maybe a case of nit picking by me :D
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

I'm happy to go straight to production, Kip.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I may be a dissenting voice here, but I actually think the difference in blue colours is quite marked - in that I like the the C3 blue but don't like the C9 blue.

I think I would not have chosen to buy the watch with the C9 blue on it, so this is a potential game-changer for me.

Hopefully I'm the only one who would feel
Like that about it, and if the majority are happy to go ahead without a sample, that's fine by me.
Richard
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by ciclismosam »

I am happy with going straight to production. I think the blue in the photos although not quite as dark as planned looks lovely and I love blues that change depending on the light!
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

Regardless of opinion, it doesn't sound like there is an alternative to achieve the darker blue correct?

So whether we wait for a prototype or go straight to production, the end result will be the same?
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

srs1286 wrote:My main question would be how the new shade of blue compares with the blued hands?

Initial impression is to go to production but is it possible to get a photo of the new blue with the hands laid on top or next to the dial to see if they clash? It is perfectly acceptable to say no to this question haha.
That is a concern for me as well and I would agree with srs1286's request for a side by side pic of the new C3 hands and the old C9 dial.

Also, could we have a piccie of a blue C9 complete with crystal over the dial because that might affect the shade of the dial a little?
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

If there are more dissenters regarding colour, how does that affect non-refundable deposits?

Especially if there is indeed a noticeable difference.

Just thinking out loud.

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

srs1286 wrote:Regardless of opinion, it doesn't sound like there is an alternative to achieve the darker blue correct?

So whether we wait for a prototype or go straight to production, the end result will be the same?
If there is a way to achieve darker (less violet?) blue on the plating, and the prototype is to help us gauge colour, I have no problems with a delay. I've paid the deposit so I would prefer to take a little longer and get it right.

[added]
OK, found Mr Rick's piccies here:
http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... 24#p192598

I think the colour on its own is fine, except that for my concern that it might clash with the blue of the hands.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Alan C
Senior
Senior

Post by Alan C »

If the original idea was to have all the blues the same shade , then would it not look wrong if there are different shades of blue on the dial?

If there is a delay caused by a problem getting the colours to match, then I would prefer prefer to wait for a solution to this to make all blues the same colour.

Now that the colour difference has been pointed out it's going to be the first thing you see when you look at watch.
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk