Sorry! I didn't mean that to sound as abrupt as it came across. :silent:
Steve.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: FLE #7 Final Drawings

Post by Tyke »

CW typically ask for a £100 deposit for their group custom offerings, so it would be reasonable to expect that level of commitment. Refundable? Not IMO, otherwise it's no commitment and CW deserve the security of knowing there is a level of commitment from buyers to match their production commitment.

Non refundable means it's more likely that only people fully committed to buying will sign up rather than a maybe buyer.
Robden
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Robden »

Tyke wrote:CW typically ask for a £100 deposit for their group custom offerings, so it would be reasonable to expect that level of commitment. Refundable? Not IMO, otherwise it's no commitment and CW deserve the security of knowing there is a level of commitment from buyers to match their production commitment.

Non refundable means it's more likely that only people fully committed to buying will sign up rather than a maybe buyer.
+1. :thumbup:
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Last I read the deposit would be buying a gift card so if you want to pull out CW are still guaranteed a purchase from you in the future for wasting their time which sounds very generous.

If your job is not safe or you have a relative who's seriously ill and may cause you extreme financial hardship you need to plan for that - this FLE costs less than a single mortgage payment or night of hospital care, the £50 deposit might get you petrol and hospital parking to see a relative who had a serious accident at the other end of the country but that's about it.

If there are as many problems with drop outs as kip suggests I'm surprised they don't just make it a preorder with full non refundable payment up front as I've seen on other forums - the money has been given to the manufacturer so the person running doesn't have it to refund. The difference is here we're paying the manufacturer direct but it's still not unreasonable. If people want out they sell their spot and simply change their delivery address to the new buyer's.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

suicidal_orange wrote:Last I read the deposit would be buying a gift card so if you want to pull out CW are still guaranteed a purchase from you in the future for wasting their time which sounds very generous.

If your job is not safe or you have a relative who's seriously ill and may cause you extreme financial hardship you need to plan for that
If only life were as simple as that, being able to plan ahead for such occurrences.

But your other point about a gift card makes sense and then no one loses out.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
statto
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 11

Post by statto »

I also agree with the non refundable deposit otherwise it's no measure of commitment. In fact I'd be happy with payment in full up front if that would weed out the 'maybes' who can order with speed then dither at leisure.
Cheers

Paul
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

statto wrote:I also agree with the non refundable deposit otherwise it's no measure of commitment. In fact I'd be happy with payment in full up front if that would weed out the 'maybes' who can order with speed then dither at leisure.
Although I disagree with a non refundable deposit. Like you, if needed, I would be happy to pay full amount up front.

It gets it out of the way. And if Kip suggests 5-6 months wait then it'll be a nice arrival near Christmas.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Robden
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Robden »

I just know I'm going to miss out!
Probably have a power-cut, aerial maintenance, signal drop out, out of the country or something.

The only luck I have is........bad. Even the car is in the hospital tomorrow to have the turbo looked at...(ouch!)
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by suicidal_orange »

TheBeatles wrote:
suicidal_orange wrote:Last I read the deposit would be buying a gift card so if you want to pull out CW are still guaranteed a purchase from you in the future for wasting their time which sounds very generous.

If your job is not safe or you have a relative who's seriously ill and may cause you extreme financial hardship you need to plan for that
If only life were as simple as that, being able to plan ahead for such occurrences.

But your other point about a gift card seems makes sense and then no one loses out.
Well it is that simple - spending every penny or worse still living on credit card pretending your job is safe (few truely are in these dodgy times) may be the modern way, but it's not stable. If you have money back to cover X months of mortgage/food that can be used for other emergencies, if you don't you shouldn't be buying luxury items (a watch). Then in those backup months you can sell possesions and survive longer...
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

suicidal_orange wrote:
TheBeatles wrote:

But your other point about a gift card seems makes sense and then no one loses out.
Well it is that simple - spending every penny or worse still living on credit card pretending your job is safe (few truely are in these dodgy times) may be the modern way, but it's not stable. If you have money back to cover X months of mortgage/food that can be used for other emergencies, if you don't you shouldn't be buying luxury items (a watch). Then in those backup months you can sell possesions and survive longer...
No more comments on this point of view from me.

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

TheBeatles wrote: Although I disagree with a non refundable deposit. Like you, if needed, I would be happy to pay full amount up front.

It gets it out of the way. And if Kip suggests 5-6 months wait then it'll be a nice arrival near Christmas.
Not meaning to take the mick but you make me smile when you say that you don't agree with a non-refundable deposit and the commitment that that would ensure, yet you'd be happy to pay , in full, up front, if that is what's required! Seems a bit contradictory?
Steve.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Thermexman wrote:
TheBeatles wrote: Although I disagree with a non refundable deposit. Like you, if needed, I would be happy to pay full amount up front.

Not meaning to take the mick but you make me smile when you say that you don't agree with a non-refundable deposit and the commitment that that would ensure, yet you'd be happy to pay , in full, up front, if that is what's required! Seems a bit contradictory?
I was looking at it from a general point of view, up for discussion only.

Glad I made you smile tho :D

statto
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 11

Post by statto »

TheBeatles wrote:
statto wrote:I also agree with the non refundable deposit otherwise it's no measure of commitment. In fact I'd be happy with payment in full up front if that would weed out the 'maybes' who can order with speed then dither at leisure.
Although I disagree with a non refundable deposit. Like you, if needed, I would be happy to pay full amount up front.

That Christmas thought had crossed my mind too. Saves my darling wife from fretting over what to buy me, and she can pay me back in monthly installments. Result!
Cheers

Paul
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

TheBeatles wrote:
Glad I made you smile tho :D
Thanks. :thumbup: Much needed on this very wet day. Just supping a coffee and then back out in the rain, to clear the leaves from a blocked pump filter, again!!! :problem:
Steve.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Robden wrote:
Tyke wrote:CW typically ask for a £100 deposit for their group custom offerings, so it would be reasonable to expect that level of commitment. Refundable? Not IMO, otherwise it's no commitment and CW deserve the security of knowing there is a level of commitment from buyers to match their production commitment.

+1. :thumbup:
+1 more.
Although I'm not on Twitter I will have to scour the forum every day to see if the instructions for paying a deposit are posted here too.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris