LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: How would you...

Post by Kip »

First of all. The only filtering of images is when the changes are extremely minor. Otherwise we will end up with far more choices than we have now. If you firmly believe that I have missed an important one, Please post it in the Design Submissions for FLE #7 topic and I will add to the list and then delete the post.

Remember that our goal is to end up with 2 or three basic design suggestions that you would ultimately consider buying. These will be submitted to CW for tweaking and then sent back to us for a vote. These will also include a price. It is during that tweaking process that CW will decide what can and cannot be done with our submissions and a potential pricing estimates. Also, CW will be sending us a suggestion or 2 at some point. Fraser, Adrian and Chris have been checking on our progress.

Having looked at all the suggestions here, I am thinking that the models are not really the most important factor other than preference and price range. If you like a C1 Design, but would not buy because it will cost to much, you won't vote for it. If you would buy it, then you would vote for it. Based on that, there is no reason to narrow the field to 1 or 2 variants of each model by having multiple elimination votes.

What I am thinking is to present a vote of all the variations at one time. Vote for up to 5 that you would buy as they currently appear. We take the top 3 (and ties) and forward to CW to see what they can do with the suggestions. We could allow 10 days of voting to cover 2 weekends so that inmates that only stop by then could vote if interested. I could allow you change your votes until the poll closes.

I realize that there is no perfect system. We could end up with 3 C3's or 3 totally different options. The point is will you buy what you vote for. Remember that we are not committing to buy at this point, but would prefer that only potential buyers vote. This should also give us an indication of how many are really interested and if we should continue to proceed.

I will also state that the submission part to CW could take a bit of time. Much depends on what Fraser and Adrian are doing currently.

Opinions.....
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Seems as good a plan as any. I'm deferring from voting but I hope one of the C3 panda designs wins, it's the most accomplished design concept on offer IMO and would do the forum proud as FLE7.

Good luck.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Sounds good to me Kip, Many Thanks.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Thanks Kip. I think that is a reasonable approach. However, is there a reason why we should restrict people to their Top 5 rather than giving them unlimited votes for all the designs they would actually buy? By allowing unlimited votes, you always know how many people are (in principle) willing to buy that design. By restricting the votes to a Top 5, you are never quite sure, because there may be people who would buy a design but didn't vote for it because it wasn't in their Top 5. That uncertainty then means we need to speculate, which seems unnecessary.

If the forum poll system can't allow unlimited votes, maybe set the max number of votes higher, e.g. at 10?, to eliminate as much of that problem as possible?

Just my thoughts.

PS I wasn't implying in my earlier post that the current filtering of designs was in any way inappropriate. I think you've been very sensible in removing near-duplicates and, as you say, people can always make a case for another variant to be included if they want. :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes

Post by PaulWB »

Good call Kip, it is a good way forward given the popularity of certain watch cases.

It's good to hear that CWL are taking an active interest in what the forum has been doing.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Sandman
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Sandman »

Sounds great Kip! It's clear that we are in capable hands. This has been a rather thrilling process. I'm glad I stopped lurking in time to be part of this.

I am looking forward to my faith being restored in the voting process after all of the crazy going on in this world. ;)
Matthew

Has everything you've said today been true?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

welshlad wrote:Thanks Kip. I think that is a reasonable approach. However, is there a reason why we should restrict people to their Top 5 rather than giving them unlimited votes for all the designs they would actually buy? By allowing unlimited votes, you always know how many people are (in principle) willing to buy that design. By restricting the votes to a Top 5, you are never quite sure, because there may be people who would buy a design but didn't vote for it because it wasn't in their Top 5. That uncertainty then means we need to speculate, which seems unnecessary.

If the forum poll system can't allow unlimited votes, maybe set the max number of votes higher, e.g. at 10?, to eliminate as much of that problem as possible?

Just my thoughts.

PS I wasn't implying in my earlier post that the current filtering of designs was in any way inappropriate. I think you've been very sensible in removing near-duplicates and, as you say, people can always make a case for another variant to be included if they want. :thumbup:

Although I think I can change the system to allow unlimited, my fear with allowing unlimited votes as that we will not narrow the field sufficiently and will require more polls to do so. That is my only concern.

I could allow up to 10 votes if that is what most would prefer, but my thinking was, at up to 5 would be sufficient for us to get a clear view of the style favorites in one round.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Kip wrote: ...but my thinking was, at up to 5 would be sufficient for us to get a clear view of the style favorites in one round.
+1 :thumbup:
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62

Post by PaulWB »

Kip,

5 choices should be plenty and allow you a chance to narrow down the field a bit for further discussion.

Paul
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

And as discussed, you don't HAVE to use all 5 or 10. I will probably only vote for one or two at the most. But if I vote for one and it gets made I will buy it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

All seems good to me.

Up to 5 votes for an FLE that I'd be happy buying, considering design and price, will be fine.

Will be very interested to see the offering from the CWL design team (Fraser, Adrian and Chris). They've perhaps got a lead on us as they will, I presume, already know what is or is not feasible (whereas we are perhaps taking an educated guess).

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Kip wrote:Although I think I can change the system to allow unlimited, my fear with allowing unlimited votes as that we will not narrow the field sufficiently and will require more polls to do so. That is my only concern.

I could allow up to 10 votes if that is what most would prefer, but my thinking was, at up to 5 would be sufficient for us to get a clear view of the style favorites in one round.
Thanks, Kip, for your reply. I was just looking through the 30-35 designs we currently have and I think I would buy any one of about 14 of them if they were made. I guess others might be in a similar boat, especially if you like the C3 or C65 38mm case. So having to pare that down to 5 is awfully constraining, so I do think that 10 would be a better maximum. However, we should definitely reiterate that people don't have to use all their votes - they should only vote for those they would actually buy.

I also think that allowing people to change their votes during the poll is crucial, so that if you can't vote for all the watches you would buy then your votes for any unpopular designs can be reallocated towards those that are more in the running (that you would still buy!).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:... I will probably only vote for one or two at the most. But if I vote for one and it gets made I will buy it.
Same here.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
arzt
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by arzt »

Del
"Die Kraft steckt in der Qualität." ©
C9-SS & C60 COSC & C1GM 5day Blue dial Prototype #0000
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Post cut and moved to other thread.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain