Are you interested in FLE #7?

The seventh Forum Limited Edition
Sold out

Are you interested in producing FLE#7 according to the parameters and guidelines explained below.

1. I am interested - count me in for now
84%
2. No interest
16%

Total votes: 223

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Are you interested in FLE #7?

Post by Thegreyman »

From the C3 Malvern Chronograph Review thread, a number of people thought that an FLE based on the C3 quartz might have some mileage in terms of keeping the cost down...and of course it is a good looking watch to boot.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

I've already put some watch funds aside for my FLE #7 watch!

Sorry if already stated: What about an automatic version of the C3 Malvern Chronograph Mk III in the dark blue, as a starting point? Perhaps the chronograph dials could be black?

Anyway, I'll get my paint set out later to see what it looks like. I may also commission my mate's arty wife to paint some variations. I'll post some photos if all goes well!
Dean
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Thegreyman wrote:From the C3 Malvern Chronograph Review thread, a number of people thought that an FLE based on the C3 quartz might have some mileage in terms of keeping the cost down...and of course it is a good looking watch to boot.

I like this idea but I think the C3 case would be too shallow to take an auto chrono movement. Would it fit in the Malvern C5 case, both are 39mm? I think the cost, even assuming CWL would be willing to make the mod, would be too high for a lot of Forum members. As I said I like the idea. The only FLEs I have are the auto C6 and C2. Both were prototypes for later auto models. This, I felt, made them truly unique at the time.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Thegreyman wrote:From the C3 Malvern Chronograph Review thread, a number of people thought that an FLE based on the C3 quartz might have some mileage in terms of keeping the cost down...and of course it is a good looking watch to boot.
I would be up for that.
We'll see how the voting goes later on in the year when it comes to deciding which watch we'll choose.
The new C5 would be possibility too.
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

Galton321 wrote:

I like this idea but I think the C3 case would be too shallow to take an auto chrono movement. Would it fit in the Malvern C5 case, both are 39mm? I think the cost, even assuming CWL would be willing to make the mod, would be too high for a lot of Forum members. As I said I like the idea. The only FLEs I have are the auto C6 and C2. Both were prototypes for later auto models. This, I felt, made them truly unique at the time.
Kip's specification for the FLE would rule out a movement change.
An existing case/movement will be used to keep things affordable
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes

Post by Galton321 »

PaulWB wrote:

Quite right. Keep trying to pretend there were no caveats. Just repainting an existing model is less appealing unless really special. The C8 Aero shoes that CWL has real flair when they try. Still like to see what they could come up with as an FLE.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

PaulWB wrote:
Do Kip's words mean it must be an existing case+movement combo?

Or does he mean that that it would be possible to propose any movement currently used in CW watches, and any existing CW case that the said movement could fit into?
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I assumed it was the first one, as there would be costs to develop things like the movement holder for a different case etc. I'm sure Kip can clarify for us though.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

asqwerth wrote:Do Kip's words mean it must be an existing case+movement combo?
I read it as that, yes
Sandman
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Sandman »

Hey. I just got here. But I've watched long enough to know not to pass up a limited edition like this! I was planning on a moon phase next, but that can wait. I'm all for anything with a power reserve complication, for practical reasons. Mostly I need to buy more watch winders so it won't matter.
Matthew

Has everything you've said today been true?
Nealgar
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 55

Post by Nealgar »

I'm In!
The question is do you take the blue pill or the red pill?
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

As stated by many, yes please if price and design sits well. I'm thinking the C3 Panda proposal gets my approval! :thumbup:
Steve.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Please can you change my vote from yes to no.

I appreciate that I am swimming against the tide here, but I would rather do this properly, spend a few quid more and have a truly memorable FLE.

Things such as a Damascus steel case, etc, etc. This is the sort of thing that I would like to see discussed.

At the bare minimum I would like to have the sh21 movement.

Looking at the other thread, it appears that everyone else would like to see a mildly warmed over existing model, with a few color changes, just to have an FLE, regardless of whether it is special, just so long as it is cheap.

This approach does not appeal to me at all. The "doing it on a budget just to have it" rather than creating something truly special to me is a missed opportunity.

I do however wish everyone good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

smegwina wrote:I appreciate that I am swimming against the tide here, but I would rather do this properly, spend a few quid more and have a truly memorable FLE.

Things such as a Damascus steel case, etc, etc. This is the sort of thing that I would like to see discussed.

Looking at the other thread, it appears that everyone else would like to see a mildly warmed over existing model, with a few color changes, just to have an FLE, regardless of whether it is special, just so long as it is cheap.

This approach does not appeal to me at all. The "doing it on a budget just to have it" rather than creating something truly special to me is a missed opportunity.
The suggestions made so far are only working within the guidelines given to us...

Yes, something with a completely unique case and super-expensive movement will appeal to the small minority that can afford it (and let's be honest here, we're talking about a lot more than "a few quid") but as nobody has yet to put forward a suggestion to that end my guess is you are, for now at least, alone in wanting that this time around.

Perhaps after pulling the plug on the whole FLE idea a successful, cheaper re-boot will build the confidence of CW, Kip and the admin team and a more adventurous direction can be taken next time :D
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Scrogg wrote:
smegwina wrote:I appreciate that I am swimming against the tide here, but I would rather do this properly, spend a few quid more and have a truly memorable FLE.

The suggestions made so far are only working within the guidelines given to us...

Yes, something with a completely unique case and super-expensive movement will appeal to the small minority that can afford it (and let's be honest here, we're talking about a lot more than "a few quid") but as nobody has yet to put forward a suggestion to that end my guess is you are, for now at least, alone in wanting that this time around.

Perhaps after pulling the plug on the whole FLE idea a successful, cheaper re-boot will build the confidence of CW, Kip and the admin team and a more adventurous direction can be taken next time :D
I fully appreciate that I am on my lonesome here! I just wanted to explain my reasons for changing my vote.

I would simply rather see a special FLE every five years or so.

It is not even as if the cheaper ones are decent sellers. Plenty of people joining in the frenzy initially, yet they seem to end up in the sale.

The c65ltd is a perfect example of when got right, a watch will sell. It wasn't particularly cheap either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk