2015 FLE - Poll for crystal specification

The sixth Forum LE
Sold out

Should the FLE use a standard crystal or an upgraded MG crystal at approx. £65/$85?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Standard crystal
31%
Museum Grade crystal
69%

Total votes: 86

downer
CW-watches: 4

2015 FLE - Poll for crystal specification

Post by downer »

We will have a series of polls to decide the final specification details for the 2015 C5S FLE.

This poll is to decide the specification of the crystal.there are only two choices - the standard crystal or the museum grade (MG) crystal. If we choose the MG crystal, the price of the watch will increase by approximately £65/$85.

Please vote for your preference. The winning selection will be fitted to all watches.

Poll will run for 7 days, and you may change your vote.
Richard
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: 2015 FLE - Poll for crystal specification

Post by DEV.Woulf »

This is a no-brainer, for me anyway. I do own a Makaira so if anyone has some photo-requests of the Museum Crystal, let me know.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

As the owner of a C11 MSL, with MG crystal, agreed as a no brainer.

If nothing else it will distinguish the Forum LE from the regular C5 Slimline; if any more distinguishing is required.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

The extra £65 is going to put a number of potential buyers off.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

hughesyn wrote:The extra £65 is going to put a number of potential buyers off.
My feelings exactly. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I'd rather not get the watch at all than get one incomplete. I mean, you get what I'm saying? The upgrade is a lot clearer to view. None of us pay until next year...a long time to save.

I'm not saying you have to do that with every watch but for a limited edition it will make it even more special. Plus, the Museum upgrade has become a CW signature on a few on their watches. First time it will be on a non-aviator/diving watch if it succeeds.

Joseph.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Really! For the benefit it gives, 65 quid is a tiny price to pay.

I would have said that it is a no brainer and a forgone conclusion.

Besides, we only need 100 purchasers. For every person that is put off, there will be at least one who would demand it.

In fact, I would opine that there would be more purchasers put off if it was not selected as an option!
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

smegwina wrote:

Besides, we only need 100 purchasers. For every person that is put off, there will be at least one who would demand it.

In fact, I would opine that there would be more purchasers put off if it was not selected as an option!
I already have a C5 with the standard crystal and see no need to upgrade, and also agree that the extra expense will discourage some from purchasing. I think the museum grade crystal will make very little difference on a watch with a white face.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Mr Rick wrote:
smegwina wrote:

I already have a C5 with the standard crystal and see no need to upgrade, and also agree that the extra expense will discourage some from purchasing. I think the museum grade crystal will make very little difference on a watch with a white face.
Of course I respect your opinion, but I must disagree.

To me, the differences between the museum and non museum crystals on my CW's is vast.

It is certainly interesting as to whether the white dial precludes the need for a better crystal, but one of the few fairly constant criticisms of the white JJ watches is over the quality of their crystals. (I do not have one of these models so cannot say from first hand experience, other than viewing all the models together at Salon)

To me, the museum grade would certainly be an essential upgrade.

However, the forumites will no doubt choose as they see fit!
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Thank you, smegwina. I've never seen a JJ in person. Even more encouragement to vote yes! :clap:

Joseph.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

smegwina wrote:It is certainly interesting as to whether the white dial precludes the need for a better crystal, but one of the few fairly constant criticisms of the white JJ watches is over the quality of their crystals. (I do not have one of these models so cannot say from first hand experience, other than viewing all the models together at Salon)
IIRC the criticisms of the crystals have been aimed at distortions at low viewing angles attributed to the curved crystals on these models, not the clarity of the crystals. While I certainly agree that the museum grade crystal is awesome, my only experience of it is on my black dialled C11; although I have no doubt it would be clearer, the white dial is a bit of an unknown in the equation to me.

I have no vested interest either way, as it is very unlikely that I will be buying an FLE... so no voting from me.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

gaf1958 wrote:
smegwina wrote:It is certainly interesting as to whether the white dial precludes the need for a better crystal, but one of the few fairly constant criticisms of the white JJ watches is over the quality of their crystals. (I do not have one of these models so cannot say from first hand experience, other than viewing all the models together at Salon)
IIRC the criticisms of the crystals have been aimed at distortions at low viewing angles attributed to the curved crystals on these models, not the clarity of the crystals. While I certainly agree that the museum grade crystal is awesome, my only experience of it is on my black dialled C11; although I have no doubt it would be clearer, the white dial is a bit of an unknown in the equation to me.

I have no vested interest either way, as it is very unlikely that I will be buying an FLE... so no voting from me.
Would it be presumptuous to assume that the museum grade crystal would resolve the distortion problems?
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

smegwina wrote:Would it be presumptuous to assume that the museum grade crystal would resolve the distortion problems?
The C9 5-Day has a museum grade crystal but still suffers from the normal distortion inherent in CWL domed crystals. So museum grade won't help with distortion.

The question is whether the C5 Slimline has a flat or domed crystal. I can't remember and the CWL website isn't clear.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

welshlad wrote:
smegwina wrote:Would it be presumptuous to assume that the museum grade crystal would resolve the distortion problems?
The C9 5-Day has a museum grade crystal but still suffers from the normal distortion inherent in CWL domed crystals. So museum grade won't help with distortion.

The question is whether the C5 Slimline has a flat or domed crystal. I can't remember and the CWL website isn't clear.
I thought that the 5 day was not too bad on the old distortion front.

Might just be my old, knackered eyes though! :)
Serlo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Serlo »

Forgive this very stupid question:
If we opted for the museum grade crystal, wouldn't that mean that the slimline would turn out to be a not as slim as a slimline? :D
Andreas