The sixth Forum LE
Sold out
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: C5 Slimline Semi Final discussion area

Post by smegwina »

Magnus wrote:On reflection I think gbbird is correct. It isn't cricket to remove it once votes have started. That may mean that members who are less frequently on here may lose their chance to vote without realising it - having voted for a model that is then removed.

I'm sorry this has turned into a bit of a shambles. That's my fault for not having thicker skin.

Kip & the team will no doubt investigate & remove any suspicious votes and we can hopefully put this embarrassing episode behind us.
Atta boy. Although this does mean that 'ol Scooter will be around a little longer!! :P (smilie just for you Scoots!)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Tooks wrote:The day we have to worry about vote rigging and putting in 'processes' to try and stop it is the day FLE's are dead on this forum...
My thoughts too.

Magnus :clap:
spacebrother
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by spacebrother »

Serlo wrote:And it might be cheaper than applied rose gold indices...

However, I don't see any reason for people creating fake accounts, voting for a design and announcing that they have done so (i.e. that they voted for #20)... That would be unbelievably stupid.
I agree, it's horrible and selfish. I suppose some people just want to watch the world burn.

To take the position of the devil's advocate, we do get a fair share of lurkers, maybe now those people realised that they can participate in something, and so have created an account to do just that. In which case, I think we're looking for connections where there are none to be found.
Own:
Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi | CW C60 | Tissot V8 | Steinhart Apollon | Casio G-Shock 7900 Baywatch Red |
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

that's great magnus, i'm delighted. hold steady there. there's only a few days of voting left! :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

smegwina wrote:Atta boy. Although this does mean that 'ol Scooter will be around a little longer!! :P (smilie just for you Scoots!)
Thanks for those few kind words.

Two things.

First, I would have gone and thirdly you can stick that smiley where the sun don't shine.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

scooter wrote:
smegwina wrote:Atta boy. Although this does mean that 'ol Scooter will be around a little longer!! :P (smilie just for you Scoots!)
Thanks for those few kind words.

Two things.

First, I would have gone and thirdly you can stick that smiley where the sun don't shine.

scooter
I don't doubt it for a minute. Hence despite my tongue in cheek comment it is one of the reasons that I am glad he had second thoughts.

Too many have left already.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Suicide diplomacy – the most convincing debating skill?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Glad to see the apples are back in the cart; so to speak.

Magnus; you have a great design, even though I haven't voted for it preferring the Marine.

May the best design, in the eventual head to head with a C65, win.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

At least now we can get on with the simple matter in hand.

Good luck to all 4 designs.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think it is time to let you know where the team stands regarding this current voting situation. I apologize for the silence, but we wanted to check things prior to making a statement.

Let me start by stating that team has been looking into this for the past 2 days. We noticed a sudden spike in votes and made comment about it to each other before it was suggested to us. We were then contacted by a couple of members who questioned what was happening.

We proceeded to launch an investigation as much as we could into what might possibly be happening. I will not bore you with all the details, but I will say that I spent a fair amount of my Thanksgiving looking into this. We have researched and compared this vote with previous FLE votes against spikes in registrations. We have analyzed the elimination vote against the current voting. We have checked IP addresses. We have considered several different options as to what we might or should do.

While I do not think that anyone has made any direct accusations at anyone, the insinuations are tough to avoid. It has also been noted by a couple of members that they do not see anything wrong just as it has been pointed out by a couple that have suspicions.

To be eligible to vote, one must only be registered. You do not need to post in order to vote. If a spammer did get through and voted, then was deleted, the vote would stand as we cannot alter the vote once started without losing everything. That is a safety valve to prevent tampering from our side.

We have found no concrete evidence that anything nefarious is going on. We respectfully decline withdrawing any entries as the designs do not belong to the individuals who asked for them to be photoshopped, so no one has the right to withdraw "their" entry... It's not a drawing competition - it's a process to find a consensus view on the type of design most members would like to see!

If you wish to alter your vote, you have the right and the ability to do so, but by unanimous decision, the team has decided the voting shall continue as is.

I will say this type situation is one of the reasons that we went to a committee process. I might have a rethink if we do another FLE.

I would also like to say "Thank You" to my team for their tireless efforts over the past couple days.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Magnus,
I'm glad you kept it in. It's had my vote from the get go, and I will buy it if it wins!!

Pls know that when I mentioned a buddy and I joking about it before it actually got mentioned, it was literally joking about the absurdity of people that would actually try and skew a vote like that. Never thought that would actually happen or be manifested!

Glad you stayed in. You've got a great design that deserves to be on 100 people's wrists!

Jon
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

Kip wrote:I think it is time to let you know where the team stands regarding this current voting situation. I apologize for the silence, but we wanted to check things prior to making a statement.

Let me start by stating that team has been looking into this for the past 2 days. We noticed a sudden spike in votes and made comment about it to each other before it was suggested to us. We were then contacted by a couple of members who questioned what was happening.

We proceeded to launch an investigation as much as we could into what might possibly be happening. I will not bore you with all the details, but I will say that I spent a fair amount of my Thanksgiving looking into this. We have researched and compared this vote with previous FLE votes against spikes in registrations. We have analyzed the elimination vote against the current voting. We have checked IP addresses. We have considered several different options as to what we might or should do.

While I do not think that anyone has made any direct accusations at anyone, the insinuations are tough to avoid. It has also been noted by a couple of members that they do not see anything wrong just as it has been pointed out by a couple that have suspicions.

To be eligible to vote, one must only be registered. You do not need to post in order to vote. If a spammer did get through and voted, then was deleted, the vote would stand as we cannot alter the vote once started without losing everything. That is a safety valve to prevent tampering from our side.

We have found no concrete evidence that anything nefarious is going on. We respectfully decline withdrawing any entries as the designs do not belong to the individuals who asked for them to be photoshopped, so no one has the right to withdraw "their" entry... It's not a drawing competition - it's a process to find a consensus view on the type of design most members would like to see!

If you wish to alter your vote, you have the right and the ability to do so, but by unanimous decision, the team has decided the voting shall continue as is.

I will say this type situation is one of the reasons that we went to a committee process. I might have a rethink if we do another FLE.

I would also like to say "Thank You" to my team for their tireless efforts over the past couple days.
Thanks for the robust response Kip, and am sorry you had to do so at the expense of turkey and football and... and that's about all I know of thanksgiving. Also, not actually sure about the football element ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Blimey -- I have a couple of long days at work and don't keep up with checking the forum...

But the storm seems to have blown over and calmer heads have prevailed -- well done, chaps.

For what it's worth, the Red XII Marine is the only one of the semi finalists that really interests me and I think I made that pretty plain in an earlier thread so there's nothing new in that. To be honest, it's probably the only one I would even contemplate buying. Not sue how it would fare against a C65 model but I'm hoping.

:D
Redheughs

Re: C5 Slimline Semi Final Vote

Post by Redheughs »

C5SLM-20 could be a CW classic. The rose gold works really will with the clean white face. Well done to the others but this is the one for me.
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

I'm really at a loss to think that people would actually try to skew this kind of poll. It's not as if we are voting on world changing matters or life and death issues. We're deciding about a watch! Anyway, glad the moment is over and the forum has returned to its usual state.

Still hoping for number 8.