LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

C5 Slimline Entries

Post by Kip »

This topic is for C5 Slimline entries only. All comments will be deleted. Each entry will be edited and given an entry number by a member of the team for identification purposes.

Your C5 Slimline submission should include a photoshop or equivalent shot of your idea along with an explanation of the details and changes shown.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C5 Slimline Entries

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Here is my entry, the "AVO" Slimline.

I have been thinking for a while now that in this the centenary year of the outbreak of WW1 it would be wonderful to give a nod to those earliest wristwatches.

The white dial is taken from a "modern vintage" Longines, but I have taken out the date window at 3. The 3 numeral is a bit messy because I copied and altered the 8 to manufacture one.

Ideally I would have liked a small seconds but we have to use the existing movement.

The numerals would be lume filled, as would the blued poire-squelette hour and minute hands. Seconds hand in blued steel. Lume: probably dark yellow for numerals and hands, dark red for the "Red 12". Probably the Old Radium which I normally don't like would be best for the numerals and hands, but it's not on the chart.

I think it should have a slightly domed crystal.

Probably not to everyone's taste, but I'd buy it, and you have to agree it's different! Hope you like it.

C5SLM-01
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Goose383
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Goose383 »

here's my version of an updated C1 design might look like...

Gold plated case (real gold would be fab, but way beyond budget!!)
going back to the old two piece dial with the centre section to have a gold pattern (maybe gold leaf style) and gold edging, outer section of dial to be porcelain white colour with silver markers and hands, on a brown alligator strap

C5SLM-02
Currently in the box:
Harold Pinchbeck Edward, Bell & Ross Professional type marine, Tag Heuer aqua racer RFU
Rolex Submariner LV, Longines Legend Diver, CW C11 Extreme, CW MMXV FLE
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Ok, here's my green and gold variation, with "Slimline" replaced with "Limited Edition", although other word options could be sorted. The thinking is to maintain the dressy feel of the C5 Slimline, but in a classy colour that CWL would be unlikely to use as a mainstream offering. Gold hands and markers also add a little more "dressiness".

C5SLM-03
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

Here is my entry.

Hands and indexes are (shamelessly) taken from C9-COSC-5D-SWxx. No minute markers to follow the "original" C5 design.

Specs (visual)

- White dial (non-galvanic)
- Blue minute and hour hands
- Steel second hand
- Raised nickel indexes
- Roman numerals at 12 and 6 o'clock
- The "Slimline" text can be removed/replaced with something else

I apologize for my poor photoshopping skills and I hope you won't hate it too much.

C5SLM-04

Edit: fixed the index at 3 o'clock
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
welshlad

Post by welshlad »

This one was Lewis's suggestion in the General Discussion thread, which I knocked up in Photoshop, but I like it so I think it should be added to the pile for consideration. It's another simple colour tweak, this time just to the hands and markers to make them gold. The dial is the standard charcoal dial. Slimline removed.

C5SLM-05
Goose383
Senior
Senior

Post by Goose383 »

Listening to comments on the other thread, heres the silver variant of the C5 slim with a layered dial.

This time the standard stainless case with layered dial in white and silver inner section. hour and minute hands and markers to be blued as per suggestions, and a silver second hand.

'Swiss Made' to be replaced by 'Limited Edition' in bottom.

and on a black strap

C5SLM-06
Currently in the box:
Harold Pinchbeck Edward, Bell & Ross Professional type marine, Tag Heuer aqua racer RFU
welshlad

Post by welshlad »

I have been asked by benbjo to add this version. It is a lighter grey dial than the charcoal earlier, has gold hands and indices and no second hand and no text (other than logo and Swiss Made):

C5SLM-07
welshlad

Post by welshlad »

Some people, including me, have been asking for a CWL Marine style watch for some time, so it seems appropriate to put in such an entry for the C5S case, albeit that we can't change the movement to a small seconds hand. But no matter, I still think this works with a centre second hand.

C5SLM-08

Edit: Meant to also say...
o Optic white enamel-effect dial
o Printed numerals and minute track
o Blued hands
o Detailed style of hands could change a little, but this sort of thing

Edit 2: Amended to have a red XII to give a little difference to the dial, following comments made on the General Discussion thread.
Goose383
Senior
Senior

Post by Goose383 »

I really like the idea of using the C5 slim as a base as I currently do not have a hand wound watch and it's been on the list for a while, BUT I never wear a dress watch so whilst the AVO slimline is not to my taste it got me thinking, and I've been trying to think what else could be done.... Until I saw that marine style from welshlad I was thinking of maybe a going down the 40mm pilot style watch as I know it's been mentioned a few times before that Pilot watches at 42+mm are too big for people with little wrists like me :thumbdown:

So I created these three below, but I have to admit, that marine style above really has something good about it!! :clap:

First up is a printed dial with hands from a C70 with light green lume, and hour marker lume in yellow, on a black strap like the C8's

C5SLM-09

Secondly is an explorer style face again with hands from a C70 this time vintage lume if we can, hour markers raised with the same lume as hands, numbers applied in silver moulded style, all on black leather strap.

C5SLM-10
*edit - removed Automatic from face, and changed lume to yellow

and lastly is a printed black dial with green lume at only 3, 6, 9, 12, hands similar to those from a C8 but with a full lume second hand, again on a black leather.

C5SLM-11
Currently in the box:
Serlo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Serlo »

Welshlad's Marine style watch has inspired me! Here's my version of the Roman Bauhaus Slimline:

CSSLM-12

I chose the red "VI" because it is going to be the sixth FLE, and I think that there is no better way to mark this occasion than highlighting this number. Another way to do that could be to replace the printed numeral by an applied golden or silver "VI". Of course the red VI is optional and it could be black. The picture should merely point into the direction of the overall style of the watch.

The numerals I, III, V, VII, IX and XI have been removed and replaced by straight lines - that should have the same length and the correct angle :oops:.

Optic white dial (could look stunning with a silver dial as well)
Printed numerals and minute track
Blued hands
VIII and VI could be turned upside down like in Welshlad's version.

Andreas
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Here are 3 entries from me based on the C5 Slimline.

All three have black dials, with SLIMLINE replace by Mechanical (but I am not too fussed about that and it can be changed if required). The lume is BG W9 which I believe shows white on the dial (for maximum contrast) but glows blue which is nicer than green lume although not as bright. The cases are all brushed although 2 and 3 could be part polished and part brushed as they are dessier than no 1.

The first one is based on a modern military watch with a 24 hour dial. The hands and numbers are lumed. The red tip on the seconds adds a bit of colour.

CSSLM-13

The 2nd uses part of the CWL DNA courtesy of the C3 Malvern. It seemed fitting that one of the first Malverns should merge with one of the later Malverns. The raised metal numbers 3, 6 and 9 are taken from the C3 and replace the batons at those positions. The hands are also taken from the C3 as the long elegant hands have always been a winner to me. The hands are lumed like the C3 but as the numbers are metallic a small marker by the number will be lumed.

CSSLM-14

The 3rd is to try and take the concept of a hand wound and give it a historical feel - in this case an art deco feel. In this case the numbers 3, 6 and 9 replace the batons but are distinctively art deco. A set of hands that convey that art deco feel are also used. The C5 Slimline batons are replace by the more substantial batons from the C15 Henley which give then a 3D look and seem to fit in with the art deco look. (Have a look at the reference gallery to see how these look in real life - http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =58&t=8545). The first version had minute markers like the above 2 (as most people seem to like them) but I decided they did not fit the style of the watch and removed them.

The hands, numbers and markers above the batons will be lumed.

CSSLM-15

A special thank you to Goose383 for bringing these designs to life with his Photoshop skill.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Goose383
Senior
Senior

Post by Goose383 »

Here's another for the melting pot.

Ideally would be a layered dial with a burgundy lower layer and sunburst silver cut out top layer, but a silver sunburst dial with deep burgundy printed graphics may work for low cost option, black hands, and black strap

CSSLM-16
Currently in the box:
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

this is my design idea for a Slimline FLE.
It's based on Goose's C1 adaptation.

It also makes a nod to the Universal Geneve Polerouter, that was worn in the first commercial flight over the north pole - 60 years ago next month.

Dial is black; index ring, case, indices, hands are stainless steel.
Dauphine watch hands
Dots can be slightly smaller as people prefer
The 12 o'clock marker might better be two vertical markers slightly wider than the others in keeping with the polerouter design.
The Polerouter dial had either crosshair design, or a single cross line. I have chosen the single line, as to me it represents a horizon. Although the design harks backwards, the Slimline marks 10 years and new horizons for CWL.

CSSLM-17

thank you very much to Goose for turning my ideas into reality. it's not often you get a chance to try out a new watch design and see it realised. 8)
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Goose built this up for me! A great nod to my Tobacco sunburst Fender Stratocaster:
CSSLM-18

Jon