C9 Jump Hour

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: C9 Jump Hour

Post by robinbarke »

downer wrote:
robinbarke wrote:
Has anyone ever seen anyone wearing a Jump Hour watch?

Robin
I think that's almost exactly the point of this watch. 8)
I take it that's a no then. Why bother with a strap?!
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

8:50

8:10

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

robinbarke wrote: Why bother with a strap?!
Cos otherwise it'll fall off when you put your arm down!
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

robinbarke wrote:
downer wrote:
robinbarke wrote:
Has anyone ever seen anyone wearing a Jump Hour watch?

Robin
I think that's almost exactly the point of this watch. 8)
I take it that's a no then. Why bother with a strap?!
I've never seen anyone wearing a George Daniels watch either, but they also come with straps. Silly question really.

I like this watch. I think a little tweaking could make it better. I don't like the roman and arabic numerals being mixed, and I'm not sure about the name plaque. I am rather taken by the dial design though. Out of my price range, but I like it.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by RustyinRochester »

HAND down, 8) , it is a unique design from CWL. I like it a lot.
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jack »

An interesting watch but a small market for it I would say.

I like some of the features such as the raised plate on the dial and I like the spiders web pattern as well.

It all looks quite nice, I just can't ever see myself buying one.
abently
Junior
Junior

Post by abently »

I have to agree with everyone else's sentiments..

Hour and minute digits not in the same format, huge mistake....

Christopher Ward logo, lettering should either rise from the dial, or have the silver backing reworked. I.e the squared off edges doesn't suit the 'roundness' of the watch design.

Plus the spider web design isn't the most pleasing....

And the minute hand could do with some experimentation.

I agree with the concept and hope CW reworks it to the level of the C5,C3 etc designs.

:D
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

RustyinRochester wrote:it is a unique design from CWL.
Unique, definitely, also brave, foolhardy and madness spring to mind :)

But, i've seen $25 Glashutte 'knockoffs' that look better than this.

At least lose the asymmetrical 'spiders web' and replace it with a nice machine turned or guilloche finished dial.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

not for me I am thick I would be forever asking people what time is it.. :?
image_doctor
Senior
Senior

Post by image_doctor »

Sorry, came to this late.

For my money, I really enjoy this watch.
Love the "spider web" face and the Roman numerals on the jump hour. I know the hour numerals do not match
those used for the minutes but I feel the Roman numerals give the piece a little more gravitas and character.

Perhaps something needs to be done on the integration of the logo with the dial, the jagged rectangular edges
look a little sharp and awkward, but not sure if rounding off is really what is needed.

Overall, for me, a great watch with lots of character. Which maybe why it provokes so many polarised responses.
Grommit
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by Grommit »

Considering some of the other "statement" watches that have been talked about in other parts of the forum (I'm thinking particularly of that hideous piece that looks like a frog), this is fairly restrained. The Opus series of watches, by Harry Winston, are all extremely high-end and cost a fortune (literally). They are also virtually unusable in terms of telling the time.

I know that this isn't in the same league, but I really like the idea of a statement piece that actually works as a watch.
C15 Henley
C8 Vintage
Bulova Precisionist Claremont
Omega Seamaster Professional
Omega Planet Ocean

Want - C8 Mk1 black & tan, C70 DBR1

"....or wonder 'til it drives you mad, what would have followed if you had."
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Grommit wrote:Considering some of the other "statement" watches that have been talked about in other parts of the forum (I'm thinking particularly of that hideous piece that looks like a frog), this is fairly restrained. The Opus series of watches, by Harry Winston, are all extremely high-end and cost a fortune (literally). They are also virtually unusable in terms of telling the time.

I know that this isn't in the same league, but I really like the idea of a statement piece that actually works as a watch.
Agree about the Frog...hideous IMHO, but beauty is in the eye and all that.
Useability is just a question of conditioning the brain. We are locked into the standard way of looking at timepieces. My grandfather's reaction to my first LCD digital was "Bloody useless! How are you supposed to tell the time with that?" Prescient or what?
Provided you're not desperate for the exact second, single pointers like the Meistersingers and Wells Cathedral clock are just as useful (did the minute hand evolve in the 17th century?)
Come to think of it, a well set-up sundial is just as easy, though less convenient 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

The name plate has to go

A small "C" in the "W" to replace it

Beige/cream option to be offered to make it look sepia/1920's

Roman hour numerals with roman numerals around the watch, with an Arabic option

The talk of it being around a Grand makes it a little out of my league, but I want a "jump hour" watch, and when you can get one for many £££££££'s less, makes it at £1000 ish a little less desirable, but i do like CW watches.

I also am a big fan of the Meistersinger, and have been promised one for my next significant birthday (only 3 years and 2 months, and about 6 days to go !), so will i go for the CW if it was a similar price?....don't know but i shall wriggle in delightful hand wringing debate over the next 3 years until either a trip to Germany to by the Meistersinger (or Jura watches) (i have been thinking that I maybe able to buy it in Germany cheaper than the UK, and have a nice long weekend in Germany buying the watch, eating and drinking for the same price as a trip to London, no kids, and wife on the other arm...sounds good anyway)

Please CW, don't leave the watch as it is...consider options suggested by all of the above
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

No...changed my mind....it should keep the Arabic numerals around the dial, but offer roman/Arabic for the hour box.
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Grommit
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by Grommit »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Grommit wrote:Considering some of the other "statement" watches that have been talked about in other parts of the forum (I'm thinking particularly of that hideous piece that looks like a frog), this is fairly restrained. The Opus series of watches, by Harry Winston, are all extremely high-end and cost a fortune (literally). They are also virtually unusable in terms of telling the time.

Agree about the Frog...hideous IMHO, but beauty is in the eye and all that.
Useability is just a question of conditioning the brain. We are locked into the standard way of looking at timepieces. My grandfather's reaction to my first LCD digital was "Bloody useless! How are you supposed to tell the time with that?" Prescient or what?
Provided you're not desperate for the exact second, single pointers like the Meistersingers and Wells Cathedral clock are just as useful (did the minute hand evolve in the 17th century?)
Come to think of it, a well set-up sundial is just as easy, though less convenient 8)
Under normal cirumstances, I would completely agree with you about conditioning - remember, I really like the CW Jump Hour . Have a look at this one - http://watchinghorology.com/2009/01/har ... pus-7.html

No idea how you tell the time on it.
C15 Henley
C8 Vintage
Bulova Precisionist Claremont
Omega Seamaster Professional
Omega Planet Ocean

Want - C8 Mk1 black & tan, C70 DBR1

"....or wonder 'til it drives you mad, what would have followed if you had."