C9 Jump Hour

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C9 Jump Hour

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A triumph of form over function, if you ask me! :lol:
I'd have to strap a conventional watch to the other wrist, I think!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Grommit
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by Grommit »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:A triumph of form over function, if you ask me! :lol:
I'd have to strap a conventional watch to the other wrist, I think!
Completely agree (talking about the Harry Winston , here, not the CW). Also a triumph of money over common sense. I appreciate "Brand Cache" as much as the next chap (I own a couple of Omegas, myself), but spending hundreds of thousands for a watch on which you can't tell the time, seems like the "Emperor's new clothes" to me.

Which is why I like the Jump Hour. A statement watch, that doesn't cost a fortune, that you can tell the time on, It'll never catch on!
C15 Henley
C8 Vintage
Bulova Precisionist Claremont
Omega Seamaster Professional
Omega Planet Ocean

Want - C8 Mk1 black & tan, C70 DBR1

"....or wonder 'til it drives you mad, what would have followed if you had."
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

Sorry to go against the flow but I hate it! I guess I'm just old and reactionary. I like a dial with three hands that point at numbers around the periphery. If you can see your way clear to sticking two or three sub-dials on there as well I'd be most grateful. :lol:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

In terms of what I'd actually BUY I completely agree. The Jump-Hour is certainly an interesting conversation piece, though! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Grommit
Expert
Expert

Post by Grommit »

I could see myself buying one, but it'd currently be third on the list, and I still have to find the money for the other two first.
C15 Henley
C8 Vintage
Omega Planet Ocean

AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Grommit wrote:I could see myself buying one, but it'd currently be third on the list, and I still have to find the money for the other two first.
And now we know the price, you'd have to find the money for practically another three to be able to afford a single "Jump".

And then if you did buy one, you'll get some funny looks telling your mates you paid over a £1000 for "a jump". I'm sure they'd advise where this service could be found at a more reasonable price and still be a conversation piece :whistle:.

Smutty cynicism aside. Personally it doesn't do it for me and I'd be concerned that it's a very (too) bold and potentially expensive gamble for CW. Forum reaction has been "cool", to say the least, therefore there's probably 195 new customers (at least) who need to be overwhelmed by the need to buy/wear a bold statement.

200 LE's is a cool quarter of a million £££'s of watches that ultimately would need to be built/shifted. Whilst some of those costs will no doubt not kick in until the watches are ordered for build, there must be a fairly expensive stockpile of bits already hanging around for brave purchasers.

Sounds a risky strategy to me but, as always, I wish Chr.W good luck (don't like that change either).
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Grommit
Expert
Expert

Post by Grommit »

AliBar wrote:
Grommit wrote:I could see myself buying one, but it'd currently be third on the list, and I still have to find the money for the other two first.
And now we know the price, you'd have to find the money for practically another three to be able to afford a single "Jump".

And then if you did buy one, you'll get some funny looks telling your mates you paid over a £1000 for "a jump". I'm sure they'd advise where this service could be found at a more reasonable price and still be a conversation piece :whistle:.

Smutty cynicism aside. Personally it doesn't do it for me and I'd be concerned that it's a very (too) bold and potentially expensive gamble for CW. Forum reaction has been "cool", to say the least, therefore there's probably 195 new customers (at least) who need to be overwhelmed by the need to buy/wear a bold statement.

200 LE's is a cool quarter of a million £££'s of watches that ultimately would need to be built/shifted. Whilst some of those costs will no doubt not kick in until the watches are ordered for build, there must be a fairly expensive stockpile of bits already hanging around for brave purchasers.

Sounds a risky strategy to me but, as always, I wish Chr.W good luck (don't like that change either).
Still like it. Don't like the price :(
C15 Henley
C8 Vintage
Omega Planet Ocean

SparkUK

Post by SparkUK »

It's impractical, a bit ugly, and the logo looks stuck on. And it's WAY above what I'd spend on a CW watch. If I had over a grand to spend, with respect, I'd spend it on another brand.

This, along with the horrible rebrand, have left a really sour taste about a brand that a couple of weeks ago I couldn't say enough good things about.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

you could put any logo you like on this monstrosity and it would still make me want to poke my own eyes out!! :lol:
Slonukhi58

Post by Slonukhi58 »

I'm in a very frivolous mood today so what watch should I wear? Simple-the new Chr.Ward Jump Hour C9 variant! What more could you want than a watch that resembles an avant-garde parking meter with a badly artexed dial and 2 different types of numerals?!! Yours for a mere £1115! Go on,you know you want one!!
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Keeping in mind that CW wants first and foremost to sell watches and make money. I see the move up-scale as a positive one. Though I may not find the Jump Hour appealing, I have no doubt CW will find 200 people who do. I'd have no trouble spending that kind of money on a CW, if it was a watch that called to me.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Now that's a jump hour! :)
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by markuk »

I may be warming to it more ( design ) but not to the £1100 price tag. :lol: I can get a Sinn for that.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

markuk wrote:I may be warming to it more ( design ) but not to the £1100 price tag. :lol: I can get a Sinn for that.
You can but you are not comparing like for like as Sinn don't have a jumping hour to my knowledge.

A better comparison is their Valjoux 7750 which is £1,745 on a bracelet whereas the CWL 7750 (C40) is £699.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by markuk »

not compairing the same type of watch but the very fact that when i spend that all important £1000 on a watch it's going to be a Sinn of what ever X design and not a CW of London.