C9 Jump Hour

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
chb
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Re: C9 Jump Hour

Post by chb »

Oh and I like the spiders web, whirlpool effect.
Regarding the hour font. The font used on the minutes on th jump hour, or the font used on my shiny new Harrison GMT are both timeless and classy.
I also really like the step down on the dial.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

chb wrote:Can we do this with a red face?
:-p

I dont get this watch. With no second hand there is no visable sign of life.
The logo integration is not great. This watch needs to be timeless and not a fashion piece.
Ditch the roman numerals.
Maybe if the escapement wheel was visable from the watch face or something it woild be nicer. As it stands it would be like staring at a sundial, you know its telling the time but there is no visable sign of it doing so (this matters to me in an automatic). 70% there as a design i think.
If you need signs of life, I guess you wouldn't like this then?

Richard
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Nope, don't like those either, silly gimmick IMO
chb
Senior
Senior

Post by chb »

Downer, dead right, Thats only a third of a watch (no seconds, mins let alone date).
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

downer wrote:
I really like this and do not think it is too gimicky; more an interesting talking point. And you get to look at it for a while whilst you work out what time it is :D
downer

Post by downer »

nathanclarinet wrote:
I really like this and do not think it is too gimicky; more an interesting talking point. And you get to look at it for a while whilst you work out what time it is :D
I think this could also apply to the C9 Jump Hour... :)
Richard
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

In May I said...
C9 Jump Hour A great idea, and unlike some jump-hours (Bell and Ross hang your heads in shame) it doesn't look like bathroom scales, but the rendering looks bland to me - lets see how it develops.
I want to like it because it is such a departure for a smaller brand to go out on a limb with an out of the ordinary complication, bravery deserves a reward, but I'm not sure it has developed since May and if it has, it's in the direction of blandness. I don't dislike the spiral spider web and I imagine it is a reference to the cog inside that clicks over the hour... it just doesn't GRAB me in the wallet, or anywhere else for that matter.

It's nice, but... just... nice.

There are "complication" WIS out there there that'll appreciate this in the same way that the C5 shook the throat of the "affordable" WIS world, and normal people (i.e. not like me) who are looking for a special watch, so I think it'll sell, perhaps not flying off the shelves, but it'll sell.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

downer wrote:
If you need signs of life, I guess you wouldn't like this then?

Looks like a pressure gauge to me 10.1bar. :?
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

nathanclarinet wrote:
downer wrote:
+1 - i could get behind Meistersinger.

As to the Jump hour, I like the spider web design and the 'CW plaque' but like Loddonite it doesn't jump out at me and say buy me, and if i did make that leap i cant ever see a time it would leap out of the watch box more than my other watches and say wear me, who ever thought - oh what i need today is a jump hour complication?? not many i bet it will sell slowly though i'm sure.

I simply thing its the wrong complication to release to edge out into the +£1000 bracket, A nice mechanical retrograde chrono or perpetual calandar would have made much bigger headlines or even (my personal favorite) the regulateur complication which would have looked stunning. Plus 43mm.....pretty big for a dress watch.

Its a step up on the childish design of the C90 but yep, It sure is bland. but my true judgement will be placed on the rose gold version - if that ever comes out......(surely thats more apt than steel for this type of watch????)
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

highway62 wrote:This thing needs 'tweaking' alright...with a large hammer! :lol:
Wrong thread old chap - you want the C11 :lol:
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Sandeep
CW-watches: 1

Post by Sandeep »

Not my style of watch either (not enough life as another poster mentioned), but I would suggest loosing the Spider Man pattern, nothing classic about it and putting the watch maker name curved along the perimeter rather than smack in the middle of the pattern on a flat plate, its very distracting this way. Also since the outer dial is Arabic Numbers, I would also change the hour from Roman to Arabic, it would look better and be more visually consistant rather than a mishmash.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As a dressy conversation piece, it has a lot going for it, but I wouldn't see it as a watch for regular wear, and couldn't justify it at the likely price-point. Not when the gorgeous Harrison GMT is out there! It's one of those "What do you give the man who has everything?" ideas as far as I'm concerned.
As for the Meistersinger...not for me, I'm used to 2- or 3-handers (and on a 12-hour dial, but that's a different issue), but the single pointer was the norm for hundreds of years, right up to some stunning C18th Breguets etc.
De gustibus non disputandum... 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

Kip wrote:You may remember this from the chat photos but now we have a few different shots

Based in a 43mm C9 case

Does this say ten to eight or ten to nine or maybe which ever you like?

Has anyone ever seen anyone wearing a Jump Hour watch?

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

8:50 methinks.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
downer

Post by downer »

robinbarke wrote:
Has anyone ever seen anyone wearing a Jump Hour watch?

Robin
I think that's almost exactly the point of this watch. 8)
Richard