C11 Altus

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: C11 Altus

Post by Kip »

I don't usually weigh in on the new models and let you guys have your say...

but, although I am not sure about the Chrono, I really like the look of the auto. To me it is bold clarity even without the markers. It has that instrument look and and is very clean. I also think the dial nicely overshadows the case. :D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Hmmmmm. OK but...

I kinda like the auto but it's not one I'd be interested in buying.

The chrono, however, just doesn't work for me - I've never been a fan of dials overlaid on numerals to the extent that they are so cropped that they might as well not be there. It may be intentional but it just looks like sloppy design and doesn't work for me.

Given the recent disappearance of the Henley from the main site, I hope this doesn't mean that the C11 is going to be CW's only squarer-case offering.
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Galton321 »

Finally worked out the red mark. It's a red warning flag to say that the instruments not working! :)
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by st-rider »

Just looked at the pictures and skim read the thread.
So apology if this has been mentioned before but...

...IMHO at first glance this case looks like a slightly remodelled C2/C20 in order to fit a standard strap.
Plus of course the dial colour and markers which give a different 'look' (less dress watch, more casual).

Just my first thoughts. I may have second ones when I can actually see real photos. This is because, as I've said before, I don't think the CWL graphics does the watches any favours.

TTFN, Alex
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

First impressions are that the auto has something going for it but the chrono is too contrived. The detailing around the sub dials is fussy and pretentious and only serves to make them totally illegible.

On the auto- the lack of minute markers is a real issue. My vixa has no minute markers, similar to the glycine approach and whilst it makes me worry less about setting the time to the absolute second, it is a mild pain in the neck when setting the time. Having said that the clean dial makes this piece wear differently to all my other pieces.

My junkers has minute markers and quarter second markers on the chapter ring, details which, whilst superfluous, add visual interest. The horizon marker in the centre is totally pointless but then the model is called the 'horizon' so I am able to overlook it. 8)

So where does that leave me on the altus? I reckon if there were minute markers, it would help. If the screws all pointed inwards, that would help. If it was very slim, slimmer even than the C20, that would help big style. Another saving grace is the fact that the case is square and hence if anyone wanted to put a bracelet on it, the options are many and varied.

Thats it for me, for now. Further thoughts will undoubtedly follow when I have looked at it more. 8)
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

I like the Auto it is my type of watch!! Think I agree with others it would be even better with minute markers. Now, Kip said we will like the price, so for me it has to compete with something like my Steinhart which was £360 or thereabouts??
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Everything about this watch is bold and brash. So what's that little 8 near the four o'clock mark?!
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by androo »

Ok been looking at it for a while now. Think I would get one. I like the shape of the case. It is unusual which I like. Love the hands. a discreet date which is good. Not too bothered about the lack of minute track but would be just as happy with one. Kinda reminds me of the watch below. I think it is good that people see many different influences rather than one obvious one. There is a diference between inspired by and a copy amd think CWL was getting to close to the later with the Trident
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

robinbarke wrote:Everything about this watch is bold and brash. So what's that little 8 near the four o'clock mark?!

erm, I am fairly certain that is a very well placed white on black date mark. :D
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

I think Robin is secretly aware of this. I also think he may not like it as much as you and I do.

FWIW, I think the date window (at least on this rendering) looks very unobtrusive. Nut sure yet if I like the watch enough to get it, but I do think it's nice.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
mac2011
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by mac2011 »

I like this alot - at least in the auto version. I think the screws would look better as little torx bolts as you wouldn't have to be OCD about lining the heads up and it would reflect nicely the electronics theme, though this should be an easy mod for someone if they are functional :) A Duratec type titanium case (a la Citizen) would also be a seriously nice option.

Mac 8)
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

I.I.D wrote:Love the aircraft dial style of this one. Probably due to spend its life being called a marmite watch but that's no bad thing as bold design always polarises opinions. Can't make up my mind which version I prefer but this will certainly go on my wants list.
This has now gone to the top of the queue when it comes out, assuming the pricing is similar to the Trident range as the pending FLE election result means my red face funds can be released for it.
Charlief
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Charlief »

I really like the auto. Simple and easy to read.

Hmmmm. Decisions decisions
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

Am I the only person that likes the chrono?

I was waiting with interest for the aviator chrono, and when I saw this my first reaction was "oh no". Then after a second or to I thought "it's OK", and now I find I really like it and am coming back again and again for another look. Yes it's different, but I like that and it would look nothing like any other watches I own.

I think one will be on its way to me soon.....
Trying not to buy any more watches...
andys
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by andys »

Clach77 wrote:Am I the only person that likes the chrono?

I was waiting with interest for the aviator chrono, and when I saw this my first reaction was "oh no". Then after a second or to I thought "it's OK", and now I find I really like it and am coming back again and again for another look. Yes it's different, but I like that and it would look nothing like any other watches I own.

I think one will be on its way to me soon.....

If only the dials didn't overlap the numbers it would be good. I like it but just can't get past that.
Got:
Oris BC4, C70BE, Seiko Speedway Chronograph

Want:
Chopard Mille Miglia, Ball Cannonball, Omega Snoopy Speedmaster 45th