Some drawings from the Chat

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
Zinaida
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Some drawings from the Chat

Post by Zinaida »

No, Royston, I will not end up with a $10 watch (well, I might if it was a piece of brilliant engineering and design, price has nothing to do here) I am simply against complication for complication - with jumping hour you have something less practical, potentially less reliable for more money, and that is what I do not like. An example from other area - when Mitchell designed the "Spitfire" he made it a real beauty, but would the plane make history if it was not a very very good fghter, design served the purpose, beauty was a way to it. Unnecessary complication is never right in practical use, I may understand the appeal of exhibition watches as long as they remain a curio and considering the CW jump hour as a technological exercise only, as a way of showing capabilities I deeply approve the idea. But for practical use, hmmm... Remember the KISS principle?
FYI: My avatar presents the original Zinaida, it's ten years since she's gone, still miss her.
Zarniwoop
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Zarniwoop »

Zinaida wrote:No, Royston, I will not end up with a $10 watch (well, I might if it was a piece of brilliant engineering and design, price has nothing to do here) I am simply against complication for complication - with jumping hour you have something less practical, potentially less reliable for more money, and that is what I do not like. An example from other area - when Mitchell designed the "Spitfire" he made it a real beauty, but would the plane make history if it was not a very very good fghter, design served the purpose, beauty was a way to it. Unnecessary complication is never right in practical use, I may understand the appeal of exhibition watches as long as they remain a curio and considering the CW jump hour as a technological exercise only, as a way of showing capabilities I deeply approve the idea. But for practical use, hmmm... Remember the KISS principle?
Your spitfire analogy is completely incorrect. The plane was not made for its appearance. The only consideration when it was designed was performance and function at all costs. You only have to see the issues they dealt with regarding flush riveting to improve speed to see that. The appearance of the plane (admittedly stunning) was purely a coincidental by product of the design to maximise performance. It just so happens in this case it made it 'look good' as well.

You seem to be totally missing the point with regards to automatic watches, If all anyone wanted is a watch that is functionally efficient, there would be nothing but quartz movements. The Automatic watch market effectively only exists because of the 'complication' and engineering marvel of the movements compared to the simple efficiency of quartz movements. After all, why are we all paying hundreds if not thousands of pounds for watches that are less accurate than a quartz movement that costs a few pence or pounds to make?

Having said all that, If you don't like a particular watch, you don't have to buy it. I never quite understand the need to 'put down' everything that does not meet with my own personal taste. I just enjoy what I like and move on.
CW watches: C5AKK, C8SWT, C60-GMT-SKKO
Zinaida
Senior
Senior

Post by Zinaida »

Zarniwoop - you completely misunderstood me - as to Spitfire we are on the same side, its stunning appearance was in a way accidental, beauty was not a goal but a result as i wrote clearly, I hope. Although good engineering usually looks good and vice versa this level of beauty and performance could only be achieved when engineering design was made by a genius and an artist. As to automatics - I haven't said a word about them (not even mentioning - against), in fact I am wearing automatics as EDC (and I am collecting mechanical Vintage - quartz watches are IMHO soulless although efficient, often extremely practical and estethic, pieces of wonderful engineering). But, sad to say, mechanical watches are things of the past, like horse transport, conventional photography, vinyl discs, steam engines to name but a few - extending their lives thamks to affection of enthusiasts like us, looking for the soul of machines and not sheer lifeless perfection of modern devices, useful as they are (must admit I am using a radio-controlled quartz watch as a reference for setting time).
Further, I have nothing against buying something I do not like (well, almost - e.g.if a restaurant offered human meat steaks I would disapprove both sides - vendor and seller). What I am against, and I feel you are in agreement with me in that issue, is complication for complication, sacrifying practicality on the altar of appearance, design which instead of serving users is against them. I felt, that while "jump hour" watch is an achievement for CW, both technologically and estethically, its practicality has serious flaws and I was afraid that the philosophy behind it might push this unique manufacturer in a wrong direction, a road ending with "designer watches" we both hate, don't we?
FYI: My avatar presents the original Zinaida, it's ten years since she's gone, still miss her.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Just recieved word that the C11 will be a black calendar on both auto and chrono versions.

You haven't seen the C11 yet, but prototype photos will be coming soon. I think you are going to like this one! 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

The C-what?! You can't drop a little sneaky post like that in here and not get it noticed, Kip!

ATTENTION FORUM!

C11 incoming... :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Kip wrote:Just recieved word that the C11 will be a black calendar on both auto and chrono versions.

You haven't seen the C11 yet, but prototype photos will be coming soon. Probably end of June.... I think you are going to like this one! 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
stumpbass
Senior
Senior

Post by stumpbass »

Kip wrote:Just recieved word that the C11 will be a black calendar...
Kip, what do you mean "black calendar"? Does this just mean that the calendar wheel is black?

Can you share the case size with us?
C5 Cream Auto
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by st-rider »

stumpbass wrote:
Kip, what do you mean "black calendar"? Does this just mean that the calendar wheel is black? ...
Can you clarify what you mean by 'calendar' as well (different things to different people, not necessarily in a watch context either :?)? - date, day+date, day+date+month, day+date+month+year?
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

st-rider wrote:
stumpbass wrote:
Kip, what do you mean "black calendar"? Does this just mean that the calendar wheel is black? ...
Can you clarify what you mean by 'calendar' as well (different things to different people, not necessarily in a watch context either :?)? - date, day+date, day+date+month, day+date+month+year?
If this is the case Kip, do u not mean auto and quartz rather than auto and chrono? as if what you put was what you meant then i can't see either being calandar watches just becuase ones going to be a chronograph :) .
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

I am referring to the date wheel....

Reference this section of the chat.....

Christopher Ward : both mechanical and chrono quartz
Christopher Ward : in a new case... have to wait for end june on that one
downer : size?
Clarky : day / date?
Helix Von Smelix : 48mm+
Christopher Ward : 42mm x 42 mm...does that give any clues
Christopher Ward : date only
nathanclarinet : B&R
jmarchitect : at last a chance to replace my quartz square
Loddonite : 42x2 Bell and Ross
Christopher Ward : concorde...fast jet head up displays ...all in the thinking
downer : have to sell my steinhart aviation...
village : its hip to be square...
Christopher Ward : squarish...
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

Kip wrote:Just recieved word that the C11 will be a black calendar on both auto and chrono versions.
Let me guess, it'll be a White dial :shock:

Seriously though, depending on dial colour combo you need to offer both (not giving the buyer a choice, I mean black on White date wheel with a light dial and a White on black date wheel with a dark coloured dial).

Anyway, other than this 'niggle' it sounds very interesting! Oh yes, will CWL do a special version of the travel case for it?

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Kip wrote:I am referring to the date wheel....

Reference this section of the chat.....

Christopher Ward : both mechanical and chrono quartz
Christopher Ward : in a new case... have to wait for end june on that one
downer : size?
Clarky : day / date?
Helix Von Smelix : 48mm+
Christopher Ward : 42mm x 42 mm...does that give any clues
jmarchitect : at last a chance to replace my quartz square
Christopher Ward : concorde...fast jet head up displays ...all in the thinking
downer : have to sell my steinhart aviation...
village : its hip to be square...
Christopher Ward : squarish...
Aaah, the one i've really been waiting to see! Squarish tho eh? Tonneau?
I miss all the great things that may never be.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Kip wrote:Christopher Ward : 42mm x 42 mm...does that give any clues
The only one I know that is that size is Bell & Ross. Interesting as at the first GTG Chris asked us about B&R style watch and we all said we did not like that big square look. So it looks like he is going ahead anyway. Strange considering most people thing that the C15 at 38 x 38 is too big.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
stumpbass
Senior
Senior

Post by stumpbass »

ianblyth wrote:The only one I know that is that size is Bell & Ross. Interesting as at the first GTG Chris asked us about B&R style watch and we all said we did not like that big square look. So it looks like he is going ahead anyway. Strange considering most people thing that the C15 at 38 x 38 is too big.
Glad someone else said it first. 42mm square is a chunk! Too much watch for me. :(
C5 Cream Auto
highway62

Post by highway62 »

:lol:

shall we wait to see the watch before we dismiss it??