Some drawings from the Chat

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
TXAG96
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2
LE-two: yes

Re: Some drawings from the Chat

Post by TXAG96 »

I finally caught up on the transcript of the chat, so the drawings are a little more in context now in my mind. I like the white Becketts. Am I the only one who sees a Spiderman web in that jump hour dial? Still, I like the concept and am sure that it will look stunning in real life. My question is on the new bracelet. I see the clasp is much improved and that the manufacturer will be well-qualified. Is the design still a single link across the entire width or is this a separate 3 link across bracelet? I can't quite tell from the drawing, but my experience has been that separate links are a little more comfortable than single link bracelets. I didn't see a specification on that in the transcript. Does anyone have insight on this?
Oris BC 3 Day/Date
CW C8SWT
CW C20LE-SWS
Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
CW S30-ROM-SWK Victoria Deco
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but each link is 3 pieces consisting of the 1 large center and 2 smaller outside pieces. I don't know for sure if the outside pieces will pivot independently... but I think so.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I think he was referring to the C5 bracelet which looks like it is 5 piece link but is actually one piece with engraving on the outside to make it look like five.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
cholmes
Guru
Guru

Post by cholmes »

Hi Kip- Sorry I must have missed something but I can't find the transcript of the live chat. Is it online yet? Thanks.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

cholmes wrote:Hi Kip- Sorry I must have missed something but I can't find the transcript of the live chat. Is it online yet? Thanks.
Hi. It is here... http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... f=1&t=7179

It is a 'sticky' in the General Discussion forum. :)
Richard
cholmes
Guru
Guru

Post by cholmes »

Thanks Downer. Wow. That was a good half-hour read. I can not believe Wera was the only woman present. No wonder Chris is only going to make quartzes for women- no one was there to raise a stink. I guess I picked a bad day to get the flu.

The look of the Ladies designs sounds great; maybe its not too late to slip in a mechanical or automatic movement in one. :hurra:
Now I need to get back to work!
TXAG96
Senior
Senior

Post by TXAG96 »

ianblyth wrote:I think he was referring to the C5 bracelet which looks like it is 5 piece link but is actually one piece with engraving on the outside to make it look like five.
Thanks for the reply, Kip. Yes, that's what I'm refering to. Independent pieces vs a single piece made to look like independent pieces. I find the extra flex from having 3 to 5 independent pieces across the width of the bracelet to be more comfortable to wear. The 09 FLE has a single link bracelet that is fine but is a little less comfortable than my other watches on bracelets.
Oris BC 3 Day/Date
CW C8SWT
CW C20LE-SWS
Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
CW S30-ROM-SWK Victoria Deco
Yarders
CW-watches: 0

Post by Yarders »

white becketts, mmm, nice
Yarders

On rotation: Ltd Ed Breitling Aerospace x2, My Dads Swiss Emperor, Seiko SKX007, Nite MX10, Stainless G-Shock, Seiko Pilots Chrono, yet to own a CW.......

No longer worn: TAG Formula 1 (too small!)
tartine.74
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by tartine.74 »

I missed the chat... But these ideas look great... Gonna be bad for my credit card... :lol:

I especially love this :

Nicolas
funky
CW-watches: 1

New Trident C60 colours

Post by funky »

These were described in the chat as being available soon, anyone got any idea how long soon is??
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: New Trident C60 colours

Post by Kip »

funky wrote:These were described in the chat as being available soon, anyone got any idea how long soon is??
As soon as they are available. :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist........ no further info currently.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Watch Geek
Senior
Senior

Post by Watch Geek »

I cant make my mind up about the jump hour. I love it and think it would look amazing. but like PAW3001 said. Would you spend £1200 on a CW Watch? Im a massive fan of CW and I dont look at any other watch website and am not a member of any other forum. But my budget doesn't stretch to £1200. If it did and hopefully it will in a few years, but then personally like Paw3001 said - I think I would like to go for something like a Longines or an Omega.

Still, I would love to see this watch on the CW website and dont see why CW cant push to be part of a high end market as long as he doesnt forget about the guys like me that look at the £200 - £500 watches. I dont think he will.
Zinaida
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Zinaida »

OK, so we have a jump hour complication. What does it add to a watch practicality? One might say it is more "definite" than rotating hand, but actually this means you have to refer to a minute hand position to know the time (eg. if a hand is midway between 9 and 10, you know it's half past nine even without looking at minutes, worse still - jump hour may be ambigous near full hour: "Did it jump or not?" - minutes hand is vertically up, you have no reading glasses on nor second hand to take exact bearing - so you just wait... and wait... finally you see a slant: "It must have jumped before, it's not nine but ten, I AM late!" - IMHO: designing and asking people to pay more for something impractical and confusing just because it is complicated and difficult to produce puts the watch in a kitsch category ("Is "Horologique" - french for "pimp"? - as somebody wrote here at other occasion). Yes, I do not like "tourbillons" either, marvels of technology as they are.
FYI: My avatar presents the original Zinaida, it's ten years since she's gone, still miss her.
cblackburn
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 9

Post by cblackburn »

The vintage C8 has got right to the top of my want list. Love the jump-hour for novelty too!
Own:
W6 Kingfisher Splash Green
C9 JH #011
C5 Malvern Quartz #0038
C9 2011 FLE #060
C6 Kingfisher Pro Yellow
C20 Lido
C60 2012 FLE Blue #024
C1 Russell
C80 Sector
Royston 64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Royston 64 »

Zinaida wrote:OK, so we have a jump hour complication. What does it add to a watch practicality? One might say it is more "definite" than rotating hand, but actually this means you have to refer to a minute hand position to know the time (eg. if a hand is midway between 9 and 10, you know it's half past nine even without looking at minutes, worse still - jump hour may be ambigous near full hour: "Did it jump or not?" - minutes hand is vertically up, you have no reading glasses on nor second hand to take exact bearing - so you just wait... and wait... finally you see a slant: "It must have jumped before, it's not nine but ten, I AM late!" - IMHO: designing and asking people to pay more for something impractical and confusing just because it is complicated and difficult to produce puts the watch in a kitsch category ("Is "Horologique" - french for "pimp"? - as somebody wrote here at other occasion). Yes, I do not like "tourbillons" either, marvels of technology as they are.
If you apply that philosophy - you would just end up with a £5.00 piece of digital junk. For me it is all about the engineering and design involved in produce something desirable, complex, yet still practical. Even if I can't afford the jump hour (I'll try my best mind you) I do still want to see it produced. A brand without any aspiration will not develop and move forward. I very much would like to see Christopher Ward move forward even if it means not being able to obtain some of their pricier models. After all the likes of the Malvern and C8 pilot etc will still be the 'bread and butter' of this firm for a good few years to come.
CW’s - C63 sealander, C65 Chrono
Others - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Airking, Rolex Datejust, Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris, Bremont Airco Mach1, Duckworth Prestex Viewmatic and 1 or 2 others