C60 Trident update

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
highway61

Re: C60 Trident update

Post by highway61 »

no problem....hand's out for shaking...sometimes personalities just clash, probably best if we avoid direct interactions! :lol:
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

Galton321 wrote:I know I will regret saying this but they are all only watches and in the big scheme of things not that important.
:warn:
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by paw3001 »

Galton321 wrote:Come on PAW3001 and Highway61 shake hands! I know I will regret saying this but they are all only watches and in the big scheme of things not that important. :shock: Never seen a Stowa or a Bremont in the flesh but would love either of them! :)
To be honest, no I won't on this occasion. Highway is consistently rude and seems to take great delight in trying to wind people up on watch forums. He may, now and then, sort of apologise but then he does it all over again. A leopard can't change his spots and he now has the dubious honour of being the first person I have ever needed to block on the internet.

@ Galton321, you are right, they are only watches but we love 'em for some strange reason! Plus, if I can ever make a GTG I would love you show you the Stowas and Bremont in my collection
Watches - Too many but not enough!
highway61

Post by highway61 »

what a dick! 8)
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

No doubt an insulting comment but as I've blocked him I don't see it....Ahhh, peace at last!
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes

Post by Galton321 »

@ Galton321, you are right, they are only watches but we love 'em for some strange reason! Plus, if I can ever make a GTG I would love you show you the Stowas and Bremont in my collection
PAW3001 I'm going to London shortly and I think Jura Watches sell Bremont so I might take a peak. Although I could probably afford one, although my wife would not agree, I'm sure there's a big mark up but there does seem to be a lot of additional engineering going on. But I'd be afraid to wear such an expensive watch. Does your's get any wrist time?
downer

Post by downer »

paw3001 wrote:
So who wants to pay £440 for a watch with all those mismatched colours going on, it's like a blooming Sector! A square date window which jars with the round indices which has a white date window matched to a black dial and the orange indices! Plus it looks like it uses on the already noted poor silicone strap with no divers extension clasp!

This watch had HUGE potential and is now an epic FAIL. This is certainly a case of CW snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Of course this is just my opinion and I am sure there are a few people out there who will like it. Personally I would go for the dull me too auto version any day over this mess! So after waiting ages for this watch it's a no from me and I'm out!
Coming a bit late into this conversation (I've been away), I have to disagree with much of what you say Paul.

The square, white date and the orange indices look great to me..

The lack of extension clasp is not a problem for the majority of wearers - only those who will use it for diving - and I doubt many would choose this as their only dive watch.

I get that you don't like it but how you can see it an 'epic FAIL' or a 'mess' is beyond me. :shock:
Richard
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re:

Post by ianblyth »

paw3001 wrote: 2) The Sector comment was around the number of colours involved on the watch. It's a Harlequin of a watch with no historical reason to be so.
I think you may find that there is quite a history to this watch. See my post http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... f=2&t=4027
It is a very colourful watch and definitely not for everyone.

Back to the thread...

I am not a great fan of GMT watches. I seem to manage to work out time differences in my head quite easily. However the more I look at this watch the more I like it (with the orange stitched strap so the bracelet is not an issue). It would be nice to see this colour combo as a normal cheaper Trident auto. Orange and black mismatched? Green is a often used with orange although the complementary colour for orange is blue. Teal dial anyone?

I think having a circle for the date windows would have been better. When I talked to Chris at the GTG I was saying that the circular date window is almost a distinguishing feature of the CWL range. His response was that if he had his way all the date windows would be circular. So it seems there are other people wielding power.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

downer wrote:
paw3001 wrote:
So who wants to pay £440 for a watch with all those mismatched colours going on, it's like a blooming Sector! A square date window which jars with the round indices which has a white date window matched to a black dial and the orange indices! Plus it looks like it uses on the already noted poor silicone strap with no divers extension clasp!

This watch had HUGE potential and is now an epic FAIL. This is certainly a case of CW snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Of course this is just my opinion and I am sure there are a few people out there who will like it. Personally I would go for the dull me too auto version any day over this mess! So after waiting ages for this watch it's a no from me and I'm out!
Coming a bit late into this conversation (I've been away), I have to disagree with much of what you say Paul.

The square, white date and the orange indices look great to me..

The lack of extension clasp is not a problem for the majority of wearers - only those who will use it for diving - and I doubt many would choose this as their only dive watch.

I get that you don't like it but how you can see it an 'epic FAIL' or a 'mess' is beyond me. :shock:
That's because we have different tastes!

I like the black dial and round orange markers especially as we can now see that they are applied. They look good. However, combined with the clashing hand, standard black bezel and staring you in the face square white date wheel the whole look is ruined for me.

It's a Fail because this watch was so close to being something very special for the CW range but now it just has too many compromises that it is now not special at all. I'm sure that it will sell but I think the basic auto is a better overall package. You clearly like it but enough to put your hand in your pocket for £440 notes?

Personally, I wait and see what the Forum can do if it becomes the basis of our 2010/11 LE
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Re:

Post by paw3001 »

ianblyth wrote:
paw3001 wrote: 2) The Sector comment was around the number of colours involved on the watch. It's a Harlequin of a watch with no historical reason to be so.
I think you may find that there is quite a history to this watch. See my post http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... f=2&t=4027
It is a very colourful watch and definitely not for everyone.
Sorry Ian but I think you are reading that paragraph out of context. I was originally commenting on the mismatching of colours on the Trident GMT and how it resembled a Sector because of all these colours but without having the Sector's historical reason for being so colourful . It was meant as a flippant remark. I have pulled out the comments to make a clearer flow and to see if that makes any more sense! :?

Me - "So who wants to pay £440 for a watch with all those mismatched colours going on, it's like a blooming Sector!"

Loddonite - "I think that 'Sector' is a comparison too far."

Me - "The Sector comment was around the number of colours involved on the watch. It's (meaning the Trident GMT) a Harlequin of a watch with no historical reason to be so."

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding. The Sector, whilst not my thing, is a good reproduction of a vital historical clock as we all know :D
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

paw3001 wrote:Hope that clears up any misunderstanding. The Sector, whilst not my thing, is a good reproduction of a vital historical clock as we all know
You are quite right. When I read that comment I thought it was being applied to the Sector.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Galton321 wrote: PAW3001 I'm going to London shortly and I think Jura Watches sell Bremont so I might take a peak. Although I could probably afford one, although my wife would not agree, I'm sure there's a big mark up but there does seem to be a lot of additional engineering going on. But I'd be afraid to wear such an expensive watch. Does your's get any wrist time?
Oh you will have fun. Jura do stock them but check out Selfridge's Wonder Room on Oxford Street as they stock them as well. Yes they are pricey but you do get a lot of the money especially if you negotiate a good discount which both Selfridges and Jura will do if pushed.

I wear this watch most days and it has busted open my usual watch rotation.:shock: It is now my main casual dress/weekend watch. There is a lot of additional engineering that goes into the watch such as the anti magnetic Faraday cage and extreme Martin Baker shock protection and that's before we get to the additions to the Chronometer Grade ETA movement.

But ignoring all that, I wouldn't worry about wearing a Bremont because Bremont harden all their steel cases to 2000 Vickers which gives a higher rating than even Sinn's tegimented process which produces a rating of 1200 Vickers.

This hardening is carried out in the UK, Cambridge I think, and is such a difficult process that 1 in 3 cases fail during production. Therefore, this watch is extremely hard wearing and mine has yet to show any dings or marks and I have bashed it a few times on tables and doorways!!! :shock:
downer

Post by downer »

paw3001 wrote:

I like the black dial and round orange markers especially as we can now see that they are applied. They look good. However, combined with the clashing hand, standard black bezel and staring you in the face square white date wheel the whole look is ruined for me.

It's a Fail because this watch was so close to being something very special for the CW range but now it just has too many compromises that it is now not special at all. I'm sure that it will sell but I think the basic auto is a better overall package. You clearly like it but enough to put your hand in your pocket for £440 notes?

Personally, I wait and see what the Forum can do if it becomes the basis of our 2010/11 LE
It's not a question of taste. It's about the way the opinions are expressed. I think "epic FAIL" and "mess" are a bit over the top, merely because it didn't turn out the way YOU wanted it.

Anyway, no need for us to argue about that... back to the watch. :)

I prefer the C9 GMT to the Trident, and I am also on the reserve list for the Steinhart Proteus GMT, so I doubt I'll go for one of these in the short term. However, maybe one day...
Richard
highway61

Post by highway61 »

looking at this model time after time, just think hands matching the colour of the markers would help so much...
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

downer wrote:
paw3001 wrote:

It's not a question of taste. It's about the way the opinions are expressed. I think "epic FAIL" and "mess" are a bit over the top, merely because it didn't turn out the way YOU wanted it.

Anyway, no need for us to argue about that... back to the watch. :)

I prefer the C9 GMT to the Trident, and I am also on the reserve list for the Steinhart Proteus GMT, so I doubt I'll go for one of these in the short term. However, maybe one day...
My apologies for using superlative language because YOU don't think my disappointment with this watch warranted it. I had planned to purchase this watch when we first saw it in the design stage and I had "Apple-like" levels of excitement for its release only to be let down at the last minute and it seems I am not the only one either!

I take it that as it isn't high on your next watch list you just think the watch is OK and therefore not a must have!

I agree with you that the GMT C9 is a good looking watch especially the black dialled version and as a bonus it doesn't look like an IWC-a-like like the auto or chrono versions