C600 with just a little more tritium?

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
dchang0

C600 with just a little more tritium?

Post by dchang0 »

I am eagerly awaiting the day CWL releases a C600 with the following additional tritium tubes:

1) two parallel blue tubes at the 12

2) a single green tritium tube/dot in the bezel

3) short blue tube at the tip of the second hand

4) one green tube on the minute hand, preferably a slightly longer tube than the blue tube on the hour hand

This would make the watch far easier to read in the dark, both for the time and for diving. Easier to find the 12 and distinguish the hour/minute, plus simply match the two green tubes in the minute/bezel for the dive time. It would also honour the current color scheme, with the contrasting blue/green, but with a minor swap to make the dive function easier (minute hand becomes all green, while second hand becomes two-tone).

I do a lot of driving at night and want to be able to quickly discern the time without taking my eyes off the road for too long. The Luminova by that time has gone completely dark, and turning on the cabin light to read my watch will harm my night vision. Yes, divers typically have flashlights so the tritium bezel doesn't matter as much to them, but I do use my bezel for timing my driving between stops.

Now, to wait and watch the newsletter and this forum for the news of just such a design! I have decided that such a C600 will be my next daily-wear watch. It would also be nice if the bezel were a 120-click design, if it isn't already.
highway61

Re: C600 with just a little more tritium?

Post by highway61 »

hmmm...don't you have a time display somewhere on the dashboard? :?
dchang0

Post by dchang0 »

LOL--sure do, but I drive a Mini Cooper, and the tiny digital clock (lost in the huge speedometer) is in the dead center of the console, which means I have to take my eyes off the road to find, then read it. With my watch on my wrist and my hands at the proper 10 and 2 positions on the steering wheel, my watch is fully within the windshield's boundaries. I can still see the road with peripheral vision, or I can read the watch itself with peripheral vision (if the tritium tubes are of very different sizes and arrangements--which is why I'm asking for these minor changes that will result in major improvements).

This is incredibly important since I drive in heavy and fast Los Angeles traffic, where cars are only two or fewer carlengths apart, even while going 85mph at night. All it takes is a few near fatal collisions and you'll quickly come to the same attitudes that I have. (Once, I was driving at 4am down the 605 freeway at about 95mph and came rapidly upon a wheelbarrow right in the middle of my lane. Luckily, I was the only car around, so I swerved rapidly into the next lane. If I hadn't been looking at that moment at the road surface, I'd have been killed within milliseconds!)

Besides, there are times when I actually get out of my car during stops, and those are usually when I check my watch the most, to see if I'm still on schedule.
highway61

Post by highway61 »

having driven a bit in the US when on holiday I can understand the desire to be vigilant, you have some insane driving over there! :lol:
dchang0

Post by dchang0 »

Yup, and Los Angeles is crazy in that everyone drives really, really fast. Not Autobahn fast, but then again, people who have driven both the Autobahn and LA freeways tend to choose LA as being scarier because people drive at different speeds and in higher densities. The Autobahn flows much better.

I have driven in many parts of the US, and honestly, the only place that scares me is New York. There, they don't drive nearly as fast as in LA, but they drive INCHES away from each other's bumpers. Here in LA, we wear out tires first. Over there in NY, they wear out brakes!

Back to watches: I've been drooling over the Ball Classic III and Spacemaster X Lume... Double or triple the price of the C600, but man, are they easy to read at night!
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

dchang0 wrote: Here in LA, we wear out tires first. Over there in NY, they wear out brakes!
... and I think that you'll find that there is a New York ordinance mandating that, in taxis, the horn should be operated by the brake pedal. :lol:
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

dchang0 wrote: It would also be nice if the bezel were a 120-click design, if it isn't already.
No it is 60 click.
dchang0 wrote:I am eagerly awaiting the day CWL releases a C600 with the following additional tritium tubes:

1) two parallel blue tubes at the 12

2) a single green tritium tube/dot in the bezel

3) short blue tube at the tip of the second hand

4) one green tube on the minute hand, preferably a slightly longer tube than the blue tube on the hour hand
Most people have commented on the 12 marker so that would be nice. The others sound good although you are starting to get into Ball territory.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
dchang0

Post by dchang0 »

Oh yeah, the HONKING! I bet that fetuses in New York suffer permanent hearing loss from all the honking before they're even born!

@ianblyth:

Thanks for confirming the 60 click bezel...

LOL--Ball lume is way overkill... I actually got these ideas from the cheapo Luminox Navy Seal series--they do a great job of differentiating between the markers with a mere 16 tritium tubes in two different colors, and all in a watch for less than US$250. On their white-numeraled watch, they use blue tubes at 1-11 and the second hand with green on hour and minute hands, bezel, and 12 o' clock. No double-tubes anywhere. It's the same color scheme as the C600 but far more readable.

If CWL wanted to minimize the changes, they could at the least change the color of the 12 o' clock tube to green, turn it 90-degrees so that it's the only horizontal marker, or simply make it longer. Then, add one tiny green tube to the bezel, and then optionally add a tiny blue tube to the tip of the second hand. That's a net gain of two small tubes... Shouldn't cost more than maybe US$20 more, at most. With the lume scheme I suggested, the C600 would literally be my perfect daily wear watch (a Ball would be too spendy to wear daily).

Here's hopin' CWL will read this thread and take on my suggestions!
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

dchang0 wrote:Here's hopin' CWL will read this thread and take on my suggestions!
Well, at least one of them visits occasionally and the mods have occult connections with head office.

(That "occult" thing - it's not actually true)
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
dchang0

Post by dchang0 »

LOL--

And here I was, just about to install the altar in my little CWL shrine!

All kidding aside, one of the most attractive things about CWL is that they actively solicit input from watch enthusiasts. It is near impossible to get the big watchmakers to make watches with all the features we want, and the small custom watchmakers are far too expensive (and are often only capable of modifying other existing watches, instead of designing completely new watches from the ground up).

I love the C600 already as it is--I'd just rather ask CWL to make a few changes than buy the existing C600 and pay a custom maker to modify it. That way, at least, all of us can enjoy the improvements, and I save some big $$$!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Loddonite wrote:
dchang0 wrote:Here's hopin' CWL will read this thread and take on my suggestions!
Well, at least one of them visits occasionally and the mods have occult connections with head office.

(That "occult" thing - it's not actually true)

Definitely not true. :wink: :turban:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
erlan88
Junior
Junior

Post by erlan88 »

Let's hope they'd listen for the next batch of C600 !!! It's an awesome watch.
weklund
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by weklund »

I lucked out with my C60 lume ... holds a legible charge all night. I am very pleased with this trusty watch.

.... Happy Landings ....
srhardy

Post by srhardy »

Love tritium but I need a lumed bezel overall too. Non lumed, non ceramic is a pass for me now buy a watch, tritium would put it over the top.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

If you wish to discuss lumed bezels on a C60 Pro 600 trident I would suggest a new topic in General Discussion. This topic is pushing 6 years old and is about a long discontinued C600 model.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.