Trident

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
Toast
CW-watches: 1

Re: Trident

Post by Toast »

The only current Rolex with an exhibition back is the Cellini Prince. It's available in four finishes, and if any one bridge gets damaged they may insist on replacing the full set in order to ensure homogeny - seriously picky! They're the horological Apple, more than a little control obsessed (ask any watchmaker who's tried to get parts).

To be fair, I have yet to see the inside of a Rolex that's not well-finished. The 31 movement has been running for 22 years - the 3130, 3132, 3135, 3155, 3185 and 3186 all share precisely the same bridge side with variances only really manifested in the calendar mechanism and, lately, in the shock settings & balance spring (paraflex, parachrom). The 4130 (Daytona chrono) is nicely finished as well, as are the 22 series. 30's and 15s I've seen were pretty nice, too... Granted, they're not all cotes de geneve & pearling, but there is always attention paid, and always well executed - impressive when you consider that none of this is ever expected to be seen other than by those servicing them! Bear in mind that, without exhibition backs, the only motives are reputation and pride. Perhaps more the former here than the latter, but hey.

Every one of their standard range models (I know less about Cellinis) has an O-ring between case and back, it's just standard practice. They also have another in the crown, and another in the tube. On the professional models - GMT, Sub, etc - they use Triplock crowns with a couple more o-rings. Each is filmed with Fomblin grease to keep them sealed. Each watch is guaranteed to have parts held for a couple of decades after production ceases - so an early 31 series has had parts made for 22 years and will have them available for services for at least another 20.

You start to get the idea - even the basic AirKing model is water resistant to 100m. In the depth of the case, there's not a mm wasted, so an exhibition back would unavoidably add thickness to the watch beyond practical necessity. I'm not saying, by any means, that every model is perfect or tasteful - oh hell no! The twotone yachtmaster is singularly the ugliest watch I've ever laid eyes on. And yeah, a fair proportion of the money is paying for endorsement and reputation - but that same reputation lets you sell that watch on at minimal loss in a few years' time.

Basically, there are better watches out there for the money - we're all here because we realise CWL aren't £3400 different from a Rolex, not by a long shot! But with Rolex everyday non-watchgeek folk know what they're getting, and it's good for the customer as well as the company.

I buy CWL because I love the product, I'd buy a Rolex because it's a safe resale bet. Passion vs cold rationality, perhaps, but if I had the money I'd love a few of each ;)

edit:(sorry, just realised how long & off-topic that was... I have a tendency to ramble!)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Off topic and rambling..... but very interesting. Thanks for posting. :)
Richard
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Toast wrote:just realised how long & off-topic that was... I have a tendency to ramble!)
There is nothing wrong with a good ramble every now and then.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

Ramble On. :lol:
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Toast wrote:just realised how long & off-topic that was... I have a tendency to ramble!)
A ramble, yes, but enjoyable to read - pray ramble away...
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
mcfr

Post by mcfr »

Looks great. but the date should be on 6 or no date and the hour hand should be same style as the minute hand, just straight.
And please let be an automatic movement.
Best regards,

Marco
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

So it looks as though the new Tridents will carry the model number C60 (and hence be variants thereof).
What do you chaps (and chapesses) think of this? (If you even care!)
Do we want all divers being a C6xxx ?
downer

Post by downer »

Mortis wrote:So it looks as though the new Tridents will carry the model number C60 (and hence be variants thereof).
What do you chaps (and chapesses) think of this? (If you even care!)
Do we want all divers being a C6xxx ?
I guess it is because the Trident models will be housed in the C6/C60 case?
Richard
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

I guess so, but this hasn't stopped some other models getting different numbers (E.g. C13/C15 - or are they different?).
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Mortis wrote:I guess so, but this hasn't stopped some other models getting different numbers (E.g. C13/C15 - or are they different?).
C3 is to C5 as C13 is to C15
C6 is to C60 as C7 is to C70

I'm looking forward to the C90 :D
... but not to paying for it...
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I am just happy that this is now going to be an automatic. :D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Des
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by Des »

So that I can start to stock the piggy bank, do we have a planned launch date yet?
Des
Des

C7 Bluebird, C8, C8 (Quartz), C11 Titanium Extreme 1000, C11 Makaira Pro 500, C60 (Quartz), C60 Sapphire
Various G-Shocks, Kremner Marine, Laco Archen, Precista PRS-17-C, RLT 42 Navigator, Rolex Datejust, Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage Red, Heuer Monaco.
Will Bogor
Senior
Senior

Post by Will Bogor »

Love it really but it does ape a :? :? :? Rolex GMT IMVHO a wee bit -somewhat derivative - that put me off?

Was tempted to wait for this but just went for S60 - wonderful and truly original (unless I missed something)...

I am seriously excited about the stunning S60..... already thinking about which Toshi strap for dry land use... advice welcome.........would it work with dark brown/yellow stitching?
Will
Bogor, West Java
Toast
CW-watches: 1

Post by Toast »

Will Bogor wrote:Love it really but it does ape a :? :? :? Rolex GMT IMVHO a wee bit -somewhat derivative - that put me off?
Yeah, it's kinda a Rolex Sub bezel on a Bremont Supermarine dial & hands... perhaps it's down to my not knowing the various brands well enough, but most CW watches til now have looked pretty original. With their last batch of previews, there are a couple that are a little too 'homage'-y in their preview state - the two Tridents, and I seem to recall another looking an awful lot like an IWC Portuguese chrono...

Could be wrong, or the release iterations might completely address my concerns. Look forward to finding out!
Will Bogor
Senior
Senior

Post by Will Bogor »

I hadn't spotted the Bremont bit.... but yes I see there is a lot of similarity there. Let's wait for the final product.

My eyes are untrained but I too find the CW men's watches mostly to be original in ultimate design.

The C5 Aviator appears to me to have a lot of Bremont DNA too but it does not look at all like a Bremont homage. I even find the C5 the better looking overall design, though I love the colours of the Bremont.

Actors borrow but great great actors steal.....
Will
Bogor, West Java