C8 MKII

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
ctafield

Re: C8 MKII

Post by ctafield »

MrBen wrote:Really like this watch. Only thing I wonder about is if the black face would look better with a black background for the date. I don't know anything about Pilots watches though (other than I want one :) ) so that may be tradition.
Getting CWL to use black date wheels seems to be somewhat of a sticking point. I really have no idea why, but they never seem to use them! :?
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

ctafield wrote:Getting CWL to use black date wheels seems to be somewhat of a sticking point. I really have no idea why, but they never seem to use them! :?
+1, I've even offered to pay for the replacement date wheel if CW will fit it :-(

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by paw3001 »

MrBen wrote:Really like this watch. Only thing I wonder about is if the black face would look better with a black background for the date. I don't know anything about Pilots watches though (other than I want one :) ) so that may be tradition.
Yes it would but CW doesn't seem to be able to accommodate this request.

I would of snapped up one of his C15 Black/Rose Gold Henley and a Black C8 ages ago but that white date wheel ruined the whole watch for me personally.

I believe that a white date only works on a black face if there is a lot of white on the dial or bezel such as white indices or white ring around the dial etc. Otherwise it just looks naff!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
downer

Post by downer »

Surely, this is quite simply a question of economics.

With the existing arrangements, the entire sub-assembly behind the dial is the same regardless of dial colour. That means it can be purchased and stored as a single entity, so the assembly of the watch is (in simple terms) movement + dial + case.

The fewer components, the easier/quicker the assembly and therefore, the lower the cost...

Changing the colour of the date wheel complicates this whole process one more step - which all adds to the cost.

In the end, this is manufacturing and assembly - just like cars or washing machines. Scale economies are built-in or not - based on the cost targets - which come from the selling price aspirations.

On top of this, it is quite possible that CWL gets a good deal on the movements if he only buys one spec - including the colour of the date wheel.
Richard
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Yeah I understand all that but I don't care I want matching date wheels! :lol:

This issue is are now up there with quartz on what I won't accept on a watch I will buy
vega
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by vega »

What do you think about this clean Stowa Flieger Original LE?
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=203699
Bonny
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Bonny »

That's pretty minimal, but it does look fine.
C4SRS C3SWK C2LE No.24 C7STT C15RKK C5AKK C3GWTR C40SKK C70GB C600IPB C600IPY C60-GMT-SKKO C70FR C5RWT C9-CHR C8SWK C11 Auto C60 Jag C7 MkII BRG C90
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Really love the Stowa Fleiger, especially the clean uncluttered face. I like the proposed C8MkII but have a Mark 1 so probably won't buy another. Going back to a previous post, I too would like to see the MkII without a date and also less lettering on the dial, to make a clean dial. However, I know that dates are popular. Time Factors Speedbird III - PRS-22, in some ways similar to the Stowa in that the face is very clean, is now offered with a date due to demand.http://www.timefactors.com/new1.htm
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Stowa also do a standard Airman Auto with or without Logo and COSC movement. Less expensive and easier to get hold of than the LE hand wound version above.

Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

I'm liking the look of some of these Stowa watches, especially with the exhibition backs.....definately on the list for this year :D
John
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

To think I sold my reservation for the Fleiger Original LE :lol: :kopfwand:
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

ctafield wrote:To think I sold my reservation for the Fleiger Original LE :lol: :kopfwand:
What!!!
I tried my damndest to get on that list and failed due to Stowa's cock-up...i was not happy. :(
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

village wrote:
ctafield wrote:To think I sold my reservation for the Fleiger Original LE :lol: :kopfwand:
What!!!
I tried my damndest to get on that list and failed due to Stowa's cock-up...i was not happy. :(
I did sell it on here... http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =30#p22107 :(

The sad thing, or things are that
a) that person that bought it off me never posted again on this forum.
b) that same person flipped it a month or two after for a profit. His to do with whatever I guess but shows how his eagerness to get the watch was more to get a profit rather than the watch itself.
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

village wrote:
What!!!

Me too! That's why I settled for the no logo
Milesg
CW-watches: 1

Post by Milesg »

I'm new here, and have only recently discovered the wonderful world of Christopher Ward. I see a CW (or two) in my future this year and am very interested in the C8 MkII!

I would like to add my voice to those asking about a black datewheel. I can understand the attraction of the economies of scale in using white datewheels for many different models, and suggest that a black datewheel could be offered as a costed extra. Either that or, a black datewheel could be made available as a 'spare part' that could be purchased and fitted by the buyers own watchsmith?